Grant Proposal: Web3 Accelerator and HQ in Mexico City

Grant ID: 2tyjqt6

Summary:

This grant proposal is to fund a pilot of our long-term mission.

If it creates good results we go to the foundation to scale it to full size in México City and Vancouver. For a larger grant so we scale it to its full size.

On August 6 I am traveling to Vancouver. I was selected to be part of the Mexican delegation to showcase the work we are doing here and build a tech sister city relationship. Build strong economic, cultural, and innovation bridges between Mexico and Canada.

This is for a series of events and the launch of a Web3 coworking, accelerator, and labs in Mexico City to build out and support our community. Hosted by The Graph in Mexico City.

We are launching and fostering the builder community in Mexico City.

We have partnered with The Blockchain Acclelation Foundation, Web3 Familia, Hola Metavero, CoLabz, Snap Inc, Launch VC, and Launch Academy, Mintbase, Gear Protocol, Tavern XR, and a few other local and international partners to create the local infrastructure and international network of support to launch the very much wanted and needed Web3 Builder community. Using the Full Web3 tech stack.

For us Web3 is shorthand for the third generation of the internet and its economy.

The mesh of the full tech stack of the evolution of the internet happening right now.

How several industries and disciplines are integrating spatial tech, the immersive web, robotics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, Computer Vision, cryptocurrencies, blockchain technology, 5G, Edge, and other frontier technologies into the labor force, educational systems, and local, national, and global economies.

This Talent Accelerator and its academy is to prepare folks to develop the needed talent to enter this new evolution with a global, well-trained workforce.

We are starting by hosting a Web3 Coworking lounge and a one-month hacker house at ETH Mexico. Then rent a 14-person office in https://publi.co coworking (very central Mexico City) to create the only Web3 Coworking space, labs, and Web3 startup accelerator in the city. To serve as the HQ for the Web3 community in Mexico to build the open web protocol.

Publico is also where Snap has its offices. We are already collaborating with them to offer Augment reality workshops and integrate NFT tech.

In October we will be hosting the Hola Metaverso Conference there. https://holametaverso.io

We have created a 4 Node strategy: Near Mexico City Nodes Strategy - Google Docs) to build our community in this global capital in key areas of building the Open Web Protocol in Mexico City to support our long-range plan https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QNj8Yj6SNORngtVI60GhfIDia5GOHJn9z7AxatzyAbU/edit?usp=sharing):

The majority of the meetups will be in Spanish. For the LATAM community. Using The Graph Material translated into Spanish. The space will be open for the English-speaking Web3 community to also host their workshops and events here.

Our events for Mexico City are deeply focused on the LATAM community and in our languages and cultural frameworks.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Curators, Delegators, Indexers, Subgraph Developers

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Have you received funding from somewhere else?:
No

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
We are building the Web3 HQ in Mexico City. Coworking, Accelerator, Hackathon (Pagoda), Labs, Demo Days, a startup investment fund, and DAOs. These workshops, meetups, and conferences in our own space will help us build out our community, brand, and local support infrastructure.

Metrics for measuring success: Number of events, Number of projects that start on The Graph. The number of The Graph accounts created, Number of Sub Graphs created. Number of Graph Advocates recruited, Number of Graph Integrations, Number of Web3 Startups using the Graph.

Estimated timeline and achievement milestones: We started in April, and the official launch was in May. Hackathon planned for October. The Graph Lounge at ETH Mexico in August, Co-hosting Hola Metaverso Mexico in October. Creation of the 4 nodes and their focused communities and launch of the coworking space and accelerator in August.

The ongoing business model is selling startup cohorts to protocols, subleasing space to Web3 companies and startups, hosting workshops and events, and brand collaborations and sponsorships.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
I’ve hosted two Graph events here:

One was a live coding event with Cami and Nader

The other one was a dinner with Simon and 12 leaders of the Mexico City Web3 community.

I have worked in startups and building entrepreneurship communities for the past 20 years. I help build the Bootstrap Austin Network which was one of the catalysts for making Austin a hub of entrepreneurship activity. I help start and grow the US network of Impact Hubs. I was the director of the national program for Startup Champions Network. a US-based organization that helps ecosystem builders across the country build and foster their entrepreneurship communities and evolve them into ecosystems.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
For the past year, I have hosted several Web3 meetups, workshops, and demos. Helped launch and guide various web3 projects.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I am a Graph Advocate. My mission is de creation and dev of the open web protocol and the integration of the full tech stack of the 3rd gen of the internet. spatial tech and immersive web with blockchain & crypto.

Community Poll

Do you support this grant application?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

i think its a good proposal for the mexican community of builders

2 Likes

HI!
Thank you for applying for a grant. I do have a few questions about your grant application:

1. What protocols and software do you consider to be part of the “Full Web3 stack”? Do you have any articles or videos where you dive into this topic?

2. Hosting workshops and events are listed as part of your ongoing business model. Will developers have to pay to attend workshops and events?

3. You mention using Graph Material translated into Spanish.

• Is this marketing material, or do you also intend to hold workshops/ courses?
    • Is the material already translated into Spanish. If not, do you intend to translate the material?
  4. How will the 14-person office benefit the Web3 community in Mexico?

• Who will be allowed to use this office?
  5. How many people are currently working on this project?

6. How many hackers will be at the one-month hacker house? How do you measure success, and how do you plan to achieve those goals?

7. What is you plan for accelerating Web3 startups?

8. Could you provide a detailed breakdown of how the $20,000 would be used?

• Note: The Google Doc you linked is private.
2 Likes

Good day @Slimchance and crew!

Below are the answers to your questions.
Regarding the Google Doc, please request access to it. I can’t make it public at this time. There are things in there that are still in development.

1. What protocols and software do you consider to be part of the “Full Web3 stack”? Do you have any articles or videos where you dive into this topic?

Going forward, for us, Web3 is shorthand for the third generation of the internet & its economy. We are also 100% cross-chain. Just like the Graph’s goal is to integrate as many protocols as possible.

The mesh of the full tech stack of the evolution of the internet is happening right now. AKA Web3.

How several industries and disciplines are integrating spatial tech, the immersive web, robotics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, Computer Vision, cryptocurrencies, blockchain technology, 5G, Edge, and other frontier technologies into the labor force, educational systems, and local, national, and global economies.

1. Hosting workshops and events are listed as part of your ongoing business model. Will developers have to pay to attend workshops and events?

Dev will pay a small registration fee. We have learned that free courses for everyone are not the best approach. There will be scholarships given to those that need financial assistance to participate.

1. You mention using Graph Material translated into Spanish.
  • Is this marketing material, or do you also intend to hold workshops/ courses?

All material. Marketing, workshops, courses, and video tutorials.
Is the material already translated into Spanish? If not, do you intend to translate the material?

We hope to rely on the Graph Advocate community that are the translators. The Graph Spanish Translators have already translated a great deal of all sorts of Graph Content into Spanish.

1. How will the 14-person office benefit the Web3 community in Mexico?

This will be Web3 HQ in Mexico City. It is a full coworking space. It is not only a 14-person office. It comes with meeting rooms, a cafe, and an events space. and a lot more than that. It is where we will host workshops, hackathons, courses, and the accelerator.

1. Who will be allowed to use this office?

Web3 Founders who are part of a cohort of the accelerator and mentors.

We working on a way to get discounted memberships to hot desk for other web3 builders who are not part of a cohort.

1. How many people are currently working on this project?

5 locally. With the support of 15 others in the US, Canada, and other parts of LATAM.

1. How many hackers will be at the one-month hacker house? How do you measure success, and how do you plan to achieve those goals?

That Hacker House is run by the Blockchain Acceleration Foundation. They are hosting 15 hackers. and a team of 4 mentors from BAF and the help of the Chilean Blockchain Academy accelerator. They are all working on a specific, quatifiable challenge they brought from Germany.

1. What is your plan for accelerating Web3 startups?

We have partnered with https://incubadora.blockchainacademy.cl/, Launch Academy in Vancouver, Web3 Familia, Blockchain Acceleration Foundation, and EVoz to offer Incubation, Acceleration, and Various paths to funding. Grants, sponsorships, Angel and VC funding, and above all how to get paying customers. I have over 15 years of experience working with incubators, accelerators, and investment funds. We will be adapting this accelerator playbook of an accelerator I was part of back in Portland, OR. GitHub - piepdx/pie-cookbook: PIE is an experiment. We've been everything from a coworking space to a community hub to an early stage startup accelerator. Now, we're open sourcing everything we've learned from nearly a decade of helping startups.

1. Could you provide a detailed breakdown of how the $20,000 would be used?
  • Rent for the membership to Publico Coworking and the private office
  • Salary for me so I can work on it full time.
  • Salary for one of the local members to help part-time who will also help with marketing
  • Paying course instructors
  • Events & Workshops
  • For the Hackathons who have ID other sponsors

All this for the 6 months that the pilot will run.

We will be working on a sustainable business model for this Web3 Labs.

@Slimchance & @admin,

I updated some folks via the discord. I have been offered an excellent opportunity to join an excellent Web3 & Spatial tech community in Vancouver, Canada. So I am going to take that.

I will be canceling this grant request for Mexico City.

I will be writing a new one for Vancouver, Canada.

Cheers!

Martin

1 Like

The new proposal, with adjusted learnings from ETH Mexico and modified for Vancouver.
This is the one to consider please:

We actually can help on getting The Graph in Mexico City Developers Ecosystem. It is important to reach the correct niche. As The Subgraphs are products for developers.

It would be great to have some monthly OKR and KPI.