Grant Proposal: The Graph Philippines

Grant ID: 8684tna1e

Summary:

The Graph Philippines seeks to cultivate and expand the web3 community in the Philippines, starting in Cebu, with the initiative launching in August 2023. Our approach integrates structured learning and networking opportunities. Each session comprises a 1-hour workshop or discussion, focusing on topics such as blockchain technology, smart contracts, decentralized applications (dApps), legal aspects of cryptocurrencies, marketing in a digital world, and more. This is followed by a 3-hour networking period, fostering collaborative exchanges among developers, DevOps professionals, financial experts, legal advisors, artists, and marketing strategists.

These gatherings are a result of our partnerships with Web3 Cebu, tech groups centered around Angular Cebu and React Cebu, local university clubs, and enspace Cebu, which has generously agreed to sponsor the venue for several months. Our collaborations form a diverse and vibrant community, engaging talents from various fields.

Please check the link for more details:

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
To cultivate and expand the web3 community in the Philippines

If available, please enter a link to your project below:
https://twitter.com/TheGraphPH

How far along are you?:
The Graph Philippines started end last year but only started doing IRL Meetup this April 2023

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
We built this community to spread awaress about web3 and educate builders who wants to migrate from web2.

As a community, each of the speakers have its own domain of expertise.

People are curious about web3 but they think it as a trading scheme or a scam. We want to be the bridged that will lead them to what web3 really is.

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
No web3 community yet that is doing a monthy event (workshops and networking) in my city

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Our goal is to spark curiosity and empower our community to explore the broader web3 ecosystem. We aspire that some will further their knowledge, connect with global web3 communities, and return to share insights through local events. We anticipate this cycle of learning and sharing to inspire members to build innovative projects within The Graph and broader web3 landscape, contributing to a vibrant, self-sustaining ecosystem.

How will you measure success?:
We will measure success by tracking event registration and attendance numbers, utilizing Proof of Attendance Protocols (POAPs) to encourage participation. Additionally, we’ll observe the emergence of web3 ideas, projects, or startups presented by community members, highlighting the direct impact of our initiative.

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
We still have events but it would not be monthly.

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other, Subgraph Developers, Indexers, Delegators, Curators

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:

Program will run for 6 months

Venue - 120 USD*
Food and Drinks - 160 USD
Swags - 60 USD
Admin/Speaker - 160 USD

Sub-total 500 USD
Tota(500USD * 6months) = 3000 USD

Cost Description:

Venue*
Enspace Cebu has generously agreed to sponsor the
venue for several months during the program duration.
120 USD as a reserve for potential additional rental expenses.

Food and Drinks*
We will have a catering service

Swags*
Pens, notebooks, t-shirts will be awareded to lucky participants

Admin/Speaker*
Researching the Topic, Creating a Deck (3 hours)
Speaking during the event (1 hour)
Social Media and Marketing (1 hour)
5 hours @ 160 USD = 32 USD/hr

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
None but actively looking for other grants

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Don serves as an on-chain analyst for web3 projects and contributes to TheGraph Ecosystem. He also leads The Graph Philippines community (@TheGraphPH).

Raine is the founder of Filipinas NFT, where she is making strides to promote Filipino artists in the NFT space.

Clyde, with his experience as a Community Manager for a GameFi and NFT project, brings his skills in nurturing communities and driving engagement to the table.

Mari Anj, a content creator specializing in AI and web3, brings her ability to create engaging and informative content to our team.

Lastly, Dru, a Web2 developer and Community Lead of Angular Cebu, lends his technical expertise and community-building experience to our tech-centered discussions.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I am very much inclined to a decentralized future and The Graph and Web3 is making it possible.

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Long-term (continuous)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Writing the breakdown for the requested funding because the text format is broken

Program will run for 6 months

Venue           -         120 USD*
Food and Drinks -         160 USD
Swags           -          60 USD
Admin/Speaker   -         160 USD
----------------------------------
Sub-total                 500 USD
Tota(500USD * 6months) = 3000 USD

Cost Description:

Venue*
Enspace Cebu has generously agreed to sponsor the
venue for several months during the program duration.
120 USD as a reserve for potential additional rental expenses.

Food and Drinks*
We will have a catering service

Swags*
Pens, notebooks, t-shirts will be awareded to lucky participants

Admin/Speaker*
Researching the Topic, Creating a Deck (3 hours)
Speaking during the event (1 hour)
Social Media and Marketing (1 hour)
5 hours @ 160 USD = 32 USD/hr

Totally support this initiative of yours!!

I believe meetups/events like these are always productive and fast in growing community and gaining attention.

Best of luck with your grant :smile:!

1 Like

Greetings!

After reading your proposal, I still have a few questions.

I did not quite understand about the format of what you are going to hold. Will it be online or offline sessions? And where will they be held, in the case of offline.

Also, about the duration. Did you specify that the session itself will be 1 hour + 3 hours of networking? It’s not quite clear what you plan to do over the months. Or are you planning to do 1 event each month?

Are you planning on taking someone with advocates on the team? Or just invite him as a speaker? So that he can talk about the program and the work of DAO. As an example.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @doxe01.eth, Thank you for reading through my proposal.

All events will be IRL at enspace Cebu, our coworking space partner.

Yes, Each IRL event will have 1hr workshop/discussion about one of the Protocols/Topics stated here + 3 hours of networking. We’ll host this event monthly for six months.

I am the only member who is an Advocate (non-core member) in this initiative but I have done workshops as a tech teacher before . I can also handle the discussion about The Graph and its ecosystem including AdvocatesDAO.

1 Like

Hello!

Around how many participants are you expecting each month?

My suggestion would be to set more clear goals for the success measurement and how they are beneficial to The Graph.

Hi. Thanks to apply.
In addition of the previous questions I would like to know:
1.- Will be the workshops open to the community or there will be some requirement to participate?.
2.- Cost for the attendants.
3.- If you offer other courses or workshops with any cost for attendants.
4.- The topic of each workshop. How this workshops benefit The Graph.

Hi @andreea_cia,

Thank you so much for reviewing my proposal. Please check below for answers to your concerns.

Audience: We anticipate each event to draw between 20 to 50 attendees, predominantly professionals, with an active effort to involve students from local universities. This audience mix promises a robust exchange of ideas in our gatherings. The variety of topics will cater to both tech-oriented and non-tech participants, fostering an inclusive learning environment and broader impact.

Evaluation and Success Metrics : We will measure success by tracking event registration and attendance numbers, utilizing Proof of Attendance Protocols (POAPs) to encourage participation. Additionally, we’ll observe the emergence of web3 ideas, projects, or startups presented by community members, highlighting the direct impact of our initiative.

Hi @Lorena,

Great questions!

1. Yes, workshops will be open to all but it will be capped to 50 attendants because of the venue’s capacity
  2. It will be totally free
  3. The goal is to develop a web3 curiosity to the community through these events. We do not have plans to offer paid courses and workshops but if there is enough demand or request from the community, we would love to do a deep dive course for them.
  4. List of the topics are here. Benefits are direct and indirect. Most of our workshops are tailored for web2 builders (Developers/DevOps and Founders) and understanding The Graph would really help them build their projects easier. Other workshops are about DeFi which involves staking and delegation. Lastly, we will have a 15-minute discussion about The Graph in every event to give the audience an overview about the importance of the protocol in the web3 ecosystem.
1 Like

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on June, 27th at 18:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

See you there!

1 Like

Great initiative! In support of this.

2 Likes

The rescheduled presentation of the project will take place in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on July, 4th at 18:00 UTC. As always the entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

See you there!

3 Likes

Hi @iamdon , thanks for apply the Grant. really excited to see what you will do. you have a good Hackmd document and the cost is clear for each workshop.

May I ask:
1: what’s the way you will invite the attandence (Ensure they are all web2 devs already, or some people just come for reward, how to show they are really interested in TheGraph/Web3)

2: The clear KPI and what’s the results we can get after the workshop (The benefits that The Graph Ecosystem can really get)

Hi @JonathanZy, Thank you for your questions.

For the attendance, I have met and talked to the community leader of various tech groups in my city. They showed interest and excitement on my plan for these events.

• Most of the devs from these communities do not know but curious about web3.
  • We do not have so much reward aside from the 60USD swags
  • Most of the devs I know do not know what the Graph or how it can help their project/dapp.

KPI would be:

• Tracking the registration/attendance.
  • POAP’s distributed
  • web3 ideas, projects, or startups presented by the community members during the event
  • Number AdvocatedDAO application
  • Socials (Twitter/Telegram)
2 Likes

Thanks for the reply @iamdon

Your answer is really good, and I look forward to your success. Will support this idea.

Congratulations! The majority decision of the Grant Committee has concluded to recommend this proposal to the DAO.

In order to receive official approval from the DAO, a corresponding on-chain vote needs to be conducted on DAOHaus that will determine the DAO decision. A member of the Grant Committee will reach out to you via email with instructions on the next steps in order to prepare for the on-chain funding proposal, which requires prior completion of KYC and consent to the Grant Agreement.

Thank you for all your effort to present a strong proposal aiming to grow The Graph and web3 ecosystem!

3 Likes

I hereby agree to this grant agreement of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope

• Provide learning and networking opportunities to the web3 community in Cebu, Philippines by organizing workshops, discussion panels, and presentations about web3-related topics.
  • Deliverables

• Provide visual evidence for hosting one meeting a month during the agreed period of time.

• Provide statistics for attendance based on data gathered by issuing POAPs

• Share publically on the Forum the status of the development of the community (new web3 ideas, projects, or startups presented by community members, where the initiative had a direct impact).

• To host at least one presentation about the Graph protocol, the Graph ecosystem and the Graph community during each monthly meeting, and provide an agenda of it and the presentation itself, as well as visual evidence for hosting the presentation, so that the quality of the information and knowledge shared can be easily assessed by the Grant Committee afterwards.

• Ensure Q&A session happens at the end of each presentation about the Graph protocol, ecosystem and the community.

• Total Grant Amount

• USD Value: 3000 USD

• Token: GRT

• Token Amount: 26537.0260 GRT GRT

• Disbursement Schedule

• Initial Funding: 50% - 1500 USD - 13268,513 GRT

• Upon Completion: 50% - 1500 USD - 13268,513 GRT

• Term Length:

• Start Date: August 1st, 2023

• End Date: January 31st, 2024

• Receiving ETH Address: 0x203d738586063d3604c3c464dd30fccc342ca315

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon the successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also know that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain.

The Graph AdvocatesDAO has approved initial funding of this grant proposal! Thanks to all community members that have been engaged throughout this process and providing feedback.

To the grant recipient:

The DAO is looking forward to hearing about your success! Following completion of your grant, please write a confirmation post as a response to this thread. The more details you provide, the easier it will be for the DAO to initiate the final funding amount in a future on-chain proposal. Providing links, docs and images of your completed grant will also help the DAO determine how to best promote the labors of your hard work. Good luck!

For more information on how to withdraw your grant, please review the following documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.

3 Likes

Quick update: The initial plan has been moved from August to September. Apologies for the changes and thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Don

1 Like

Hi!

Thanks for telling us about it. Looking forward to the results then.

1 Like