Grant Proposal: The Graph Pakistan 2.0

Grant ID: 866a1xwf5

Summary:

Running Graph Pakistan community -(Twitter,Youtube,Instagram) from past 3 months and now will be organising a workshop in the coming two months to expand graph further in the regional community and also graph branded swag would be distributed among the community comprising of t-shirts and stickers !

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

If available, please enter a link to your project below:
https://twitter.com/thegraph_pk?s=21&t=3SdjqV0hs5kb1V1Q2dvb9Q https://youtube.com/@graphpakistan The Graph Pakistan 🇵🇰 (@graphprotocol_pk) • Instagram photos and videos

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Long-term (continuous)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Curators, Delegators, Indexers

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
Firstly this grant application is for coming 2 months and the breakdown is :

• 3000$ for the event’s venue and food/snacks
  • 1500$ for the swag items, 50 shirts and 500 vinyl stickers(would be distributed among the event’s attendees as its a smooth way of people being curious when they will see others wearing graph shirts and stickers on their laptops about the project) and to cover the hardware costs

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
Yes

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
Received grant of 2550$ amount for the previous two months as a community grant ,for February and March.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
This project will allow our regional community to learn more about the Graph and and to seek a roadmap as a subgraph developer in graph’s ecosystem as majority of the audience will be technical !

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
I have been contributing as an advocate actively with translator, content creator and event evangelist roles. Working actively for the regional community to spread it and also organised events recently for the graph which went to be successful ones, the sights of those events can be seen via the links i provided.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Came in web3 after i invested in some gamefis. After that started working with web3 projects from and doing so from past 2-3 years i guess, also worked as a community manager in telegram of many web3 projects.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
In my opinion the Graph is a strong protocol for indexing blockchain data and it would be in top tiers in coming time so i want to work and grow with it !!

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote (Closes on April 26)

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for your application!!! I had a few questions while reviewing your submission.

1/ What exactly are you planning to do at this workshop? Do you have some kind of detailed plan of the things you want to do?

2/ How many people do you want to invite? And how do you want to evaluate them or their value for The Graph ecosystem?

3/ On budget. Where will the event be held? And second, at what price will you be ordering t-shirts and stickers? Since $3,000 for a rent, that sounds like quite a lot.

Thanks!!!

1 Like

1/ At the workshop, we plan to introduce The Graph protocol to the community and help them understand its value proposition and use cases. Also I had a talk with Paka about this workshop and he suggested me to cover concepts like indexing blockchains, subgraphs, substreams.
The workshop will consist of sessions covering topics such as how to query and index data on The Graph, creating subgraphs too. I am planning not to dive deeply for now as I want to take the students in a flow and not to freak them out with technical sessions.

2/ Well there isn’t a specific number, but I plan to invite the students from different universities and I hope the total number would be 100-150 students. We believe that everyone can bring value to the Graph ecosystem, and our goal is to create an inclusive and diverse community. We will evaluate attendees based on their engagement during the workshop, feedback, and their interest in future events and participation in The Graph ecosystem.

3/ . Firstly 3000$ includes not only the Rent BUT food for the attendees too. For the venue, this time instead of university a space would be looked out and rented so the event isn’t restricted to a single university students. The venue in a central location accessible to attendees will be rented out. We plan to order the t-shirts at a cost of $15 per shirt and the design printing charges separate. For the vinyl stickers, per sticker would cost around 0.8 - 1 dollar.

4 Likes

Thank you for submitting your proposal, and I appreciate your hard work and effort in the community.

I think you have a good idea, but I am interested in seeing a more detailed plan for this workshop. Could you provide more information on the proposed agenda, sessions/topics, and deliverables such as the expected number of people who would participate as delegators, curators, subgraph developers, or join the Advocates program?

These details will help strengthen your proposal and give a better sense of the potential impact of the workshop.

Additionally, I would suggest reconsidering the expense of rent/feeding. While I understand the importance of creating a welcoming and hospitable environment for participants, it may be possible to reduce costs in this area without sacrificing the quality of the workshop.

Thank you again for your proposal, and I look forward to hearing back from you with more detailed information.

4 Likes

Thank you for your feedback and interest in my proposal Chidubem ! I am glad to hear that you appreciate my idea, and I will work on providing a more detailed plan for the workshop.
So regarding the proposed agenda, sessions/topics, and deliverables. Our agenda will include a mix of both non-technical and a bit technical sessions which are as follow:

• Introduction to the Graph ecosystem that includes the detailed guidance of all the roles
  • Understanding subgraph development and its importance
  • How Sub-streams Work
  • Networking and community building sessions
  • Introduction to the Advocates program and how to become an advocate

Our expected number of onboarding people in the all the roles collectively can push to 50 or more depending on how much their interests collide and in what roles in the ecosystem. My main goal would be increase in the number of individuals who are interested in and capable of becoming subgraph developers as most of the attendees there would be computer science students and a bit technical, as well as an increase in the number of people who join the Graph ecosystem as delegators, curators, and advocates.
This workshop will be recorded and will be uploaded on Graph Pakistan Youtube channel too so the people who didn’t join can have visuals too so they can catchup things even after the workshop.

Also i have found a more cost-effective solution for the rent and feeding budget. I have decided to rent a smaller space, which has reduced the cost of rent from $2000 to $1500. Additionally, we will be serving snacks instead of meals, which will reduce the food budget from $900-1000 to $500.

Therefore, the new grant amount i am requesting is $3500.

3 Likes

Hi, Thanks for your application.
In addition of the questions, I would like to know:
1.- How many workshops are you planning to have.
2.- The topic of each workshops (you included a list of 5 topics and only 2 are technical -2 and 3-). Who will be the technical teacher. The workshop is not a presentation, it requires work (would be great if each attendant has his own device) and the assistance should be devs or technical people.
3.- The breakdown of the budget.
4.- number of the assistants
thanks

Thank you for considering my application Lorena! I appreciate your interest and feedback. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. I am planning to have one workshop initially to introduce the Graph ecosystem and subgraph development to the attendees. However if there is enough feedback from the community I would organise more in the coming future that would be more technical, hopefully in September.

2. And yes the five topics that I listed are technical and non technical both as I believe it’s important to cater to attendees with varying levels of technical expertise. Also I told, the community there would be mostly of computer science students from mid semesters who aren’t that technical yet and proper technical session for them may result in a burden for them so I want to take my community step by step with me as I am a front end developer too and in a process of learning web3 dev. The technical sessions will cover subgraph development(not deep) and sub streams working. I will be leading these sessions as I am a technical person with a wide circle of developers and some of them will be assisting me at the workshop. Additionally I will be taking help from Paka too before the workshop. And the attendees would be with their own devices.

3. The budget breakdown is as follows:

• Rent for the venue: ~1500$
  • Snacks and refreshments for attendees: ~500$
  • 50 Shirts: ~1000$ ( per shirt 15-16$ with printing costs separate)
  • 500 Stickers: ~300$
  • equipments and materials: ~200$
  1. I expect to have around 2 assistants for now who would be developers as well but the number can increase as I plan things more accordingly with time as the event will take place in the early June.

I hope this information helps, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Hi,
Could you confirm for how many events is the budget breakdown?
It is possible to reduce the costs or consider not to include?

3 Likes

Hello Lorena,

Thank you for your message. The budget breakdown I provided was for one event only.

Regarding reducing the costs, I am open to suggestions from the grant committee on how I can adjust the budget. As for the quantity of shirts and stickers, I understand that reducing them to half could help cut down on expenses. Would the grant committee suggest a specific quantity for these items or should I make the decision based on my discretion?

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing back from you about the budget accomodation suggestion.

1 Like

Gm @asadus16

I just had the pleasure of reviewing your grant proposal, and I must say that I am truly impressed with the level of detail and thought you have put into it. I am wholeheartedly in support of your initiative!

In regards to cost reduction, I would like to offer a suggestion that may be of interest. Given that your project is aimed at nurturing future developers, you might consider reaching out to local universities or colleges to inquire about the availability of an auditorium for hosting the event. Oftentimes, educational institutions are eager to support initiatives like yours, as they recognize the value it could bring to their students. By securing a venue at no cost, you could significantly reduce your overall expenses.

Good luck with this proposal!

5 Likes

Hey Colson!

Thank you for your kind words and your valuable suggestion to explore the possibility of securing a venue at no cost. And I truly appreciate your support !

In response to your suggestion, I wanted to share my past experience of organising an event in February at a university.

Here’s a link to it incase you missed my tweet : https://twitter.com/TheGraph_PK/status/1623720007262945282?s=20

Youtube link to some sights of that event :

The event received an overwhelmingly positive response from the students, but I faced a major issue as the event was only open to students of that particular university, and outsiders were not allowed which included many of my friends and people who were from different universities and wanted to join me. This limited the number of people to a single institute who could benefit from the event, and I realised the need to have a venue to accommodate students from different universities.

Hence, organising this upcoming event at a venue will allow more students from various universities to attend and benefit from the workshop.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and support :raised_hands:t2:

4 Likes

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on April 18 at 18:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thank everyone for your attention!

1 Like

Congratulations! The majority decision of the Grant Committee has concluded to recommend this proposal to the DAO.

In order to receive official approval from the DAO, a corresponding on-chain vote needs to be conducted on DAOHaus that will determine the DAO decision. A member of the Grant Committee will reach out to you via email with instructions on next steps in order to prepare for the on-chain funding proposal, which requires prior completion of KYC and consent to the Grant Agreement.

Thank you for all your effort to present a strong proposal aiming to grow The Graph and web3 ecosystem!

3 Likes

I hereby agree to this grant agreement of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope
    • Developing the Pakistan community by hosting events that will raise awareness about The Graph and show the technical part of The Graph and how to become a proper subgraph developer.
  • Deliverables
    • Holding a public workshop for all interested persons
    • Expectation number 100-150 people
    • 5 topics:
      • Introduction to the Graph ecosystem that includes the detailed guidance of all the roles
      • Understanding subgraph development and its importance
      • How Sub-streams Work
      • Networking and community building sessions
      • Introduction to the Advocates program and how to become an advocate
  • Total Grant Amount
    • USD Value: 3500 USD
    • Token: GRT
    • Token Amount: 24475.52 GRT
  • Disbursement Schedule:
    • Initial Funding: 50%
    • Upon Completion: 50%
  • Term Length
    • Start Date: May 2023
    • End Date: July 2023
  • Receiving ETH Address: 0x1DaF340c10B24C8f6F986DA8AAB011B094E79C19

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon a successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain.

The Graph AdvocatesDAO has approved initial funding of this grant proposal! Thanks to all community members that have been engaged throughout this process and providing feedback.

To the grant recipient:

The DAO is looking forward to hearing about your success! Following completion of your grant, please write a confirmation post as a response to this thread. The more details you provide, the easier it will be for the DAO to initiate the final funding amount in a future on-chain proposal. Providing links, docs and images of your completed grant will also help the DAO determine how to best promote the labors of your hard work. Good luck!

For more information on how to withdraw your grant, please review the following documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.

1 Like

Missed this workshop, but I can say, Asad, you as an individual are doing great. Keep it up, please🤗

2 Likes

Thankyou so much @Diapok !

Also here are some useful link you guys wanna look at:
Compilation video: compiled.MP4 - Google Drive
Workshop Media files : The Graph Pakistan Workshop – Google Drive
Twitter Thread : https://twitter.com/TheGraph_PK/status/1670659681134551040?s=20