Grant Proposal: French (Français) & Turkish (Türkçe) Chatbots and additional app features - GRTDataHub

Is this able to be progressed to the on-chain voting now?

Hello @GRTDataHub

I support this grant proposal. I see it has great feedback from community members, and after playing around with it myself I truely see why and how it adds value!

This grant will move to on-chain voting soon, and you will be notified!

Thank you for all your great work, and I hope you and all the Graph Advocates can do some cool collaborations in 2023!

4 Likes

Colson, thanks for the support! It means a lot coming from you! :pray: I have received the translations back for the French and Turkish chatbots so I am currently building them. I am also making the release video for the Spanish chatbot this evening :tada: without giving too much away, I have 2 other chatbots in the pipeline for 2 more well known communities! I will keep these up to date as I build! I am glad you felt the tool adds some great value to the communities. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I admire the fact that the project is gathering so much community around every time the new version of the chatbot is to be released and how much support you are getting from different language communities.

However, I am a translator myself, with a strong interest in localization processes, and from that angle, I’m approaching this particular version of the chatbot for which we received full insight into the code and logic for the first time. And after careful consideration and based on the review of the repo I’ve decided to vote against the proposal.

As I can see from the project structure and translators’ contributions, you are sending the files to translators with deleted code snippets (which they would handle just fine, as they do it while translating the Graph’s website), and pre-translated (using machine translation, which we generally do not accept to use in the Advocates Program). The translators are commenting in the file on what should be changed and where and with what, and then you go and copy-paste the post-translated version from translators into your code. So that means, that we pay more for copy-pasting of the translation(2k) than for the translation($30/per hour). These are labour costs which should be covered by the grant, but the labour costs should go along with quality. We should only pay for the maintenance of your main English version and the addition of new features there, and the language versions should be kind of mapped/matched with it, in the way that if you update sth in the main version, the source strings would be updated, as well as the translators would be notified about new content to translate. This is of course the ideal scenario for which the implementation and usage of some sort of CAT tool and connection GitHub-CAT tool would be needed. Every time translator completes the translation of the file, it would create PR automatically and the translation would be deployed with zero effort from your side.

The current architecture of the chatbot needs to be rearranged as well. There are 5 separate files for each language, e.g. ENGChatbotpage.js. There should be one main file used by all the different languages. If there will be a need of changing something in the future, e.g. changing the font, or making some phrases bold, in the current version you need to go to five different files and repeat the same action 5 times, instead of doing it 1x in the template. Making these kinds of changes should be done with minimum effort on the development side, and as it looks now, the whole logic of the bot is hard coded.

I don’t have bad intentions writing this, I truly believe that the sooner the changes to the structures are applied the easier the transition will be, and the other way around - adding new language versions just makes the whole thing more and more difficult. On the other hand, the user experience of the chatbot is more than satisfying.

Hi Julianna, firstly thank you for taking the time to check out my GitHub and giving constructive criticism.

-Firstly, I have always been open and honest about my coding experience, expressing that I am a novice self taught coder for only 2 years who does this as a hobby for 3-4 hours per evening around a full-time job and family life. In that regard, I am still learning new coding practices and I apologise if my code is not up to scratch or if there are better ways to build things.

-I will take what you have said, and try and improve the way I update each bot and my layout of the code.

-With regards to how the chatbots are translated:

It took me a long time to delete all code out of the content so I wish I had known that translators can translate just fine with the code there. You view it as a “copy and paste” however the content needs to be translated. For me the best way for translators is to receive an English version that I would like to be translated and then I only provide a software generated translation to aid them. (All of which have told me has helped and reduced their workload). The reason I do this as I am more than aware that each chatbot needs the human translation to make sense to the user without errors in grammar. I then take the translated script and then dissect it and add it back into the respective chatbot that is has been translate for. This may seem like copy and paste but for 1 reply from that chatbot this could mean 10-20 dissections, ensuring links are not broken and without disruption to the grammar or making errors. (Of which breaks the chatbot and causes fault diagnoses) Now, if you multiple that by how many buttons you see within the chatbot (which is only 80% of the full logic that the user can ask the chatbots). Building each chatbot takes me a awfully long time with a lot of concentration and sometimes complexity. I then change links after researching for the correct corresponding ones such as the Spanish chatbot is different to the English and French etc. (French in Beta Phase 1 for testing. Links currently being updated and content translated if needed and links to be within the app itself).

-Sorry for my lack of punctuation above, but I thought I would paint a picture on the work involved as I took slight offence to the “copy and paste” comment above which I do not believe paints the correct narrative behind the workload put in by myself.

-I am truly disappointed to hear that you feel like this proposal should be voted against for the time and effort I put into building the tools that I believe benefit each community and the response it gets from them each time is amazing.

-For me when proposals of much greater amounts get accepted for sharing content and tweet and making visual aids rather than hours spent developing tools it is a shame that you feel this way.

-However, please do not take the above as a rant or argument in any regard! I just hope you read it as my side of the story because I truly do put a lot of time and effort into building the tools and app that I have. I am learning daily and I apologise if my coding practices are not up to scratch yet. Feel free to reply to this message within the forum so that we can discuss further. If any other community members would also like to join the discussion then please do.

2 Likes

Please don’t take any offence by any of my wording, I appreciate the time and energy you put into this project, but I also feel like you could free up some of the time and indeed concentrate on developing the chatbot further, rather than preparing the files for translators. I suggested a solution, which also would consume time to implement, but in my opinion, it is worth it.

I don’t compare project to project, it’s hard to do that, every project is different. I voted no, based on my experience, knowledge of the different requirements in the DAO and Advocates Program, and what I could understand from the repo (I’m not developer) and because I want to see translators more entitled and developing as well. By creating PR with their translation, they are able to build portfolios for themselves, and everybody who is interested can see their activity in GitHub and examine the quality of the translation, which can help them change carriers in long term, for example.

I will be more than happy to change my vote if at least some of the requirements will be fulfilled.

I understand and I did not want you to be offended by my reply so I appreciate your response.

I am new to GitHub with regards to public repositories so I had to learn how to check licensed etc and make it publicly accessible after feedback from my community grant. I will research into how to make it so that anyone can review the chatbots and then add the PR (I assume this is a comment to be pushed to the code) with their improvements. This does sounds like a great idea! I will also create a tutorial on how this can be done for translators and community members using the tools so that they can do this in the future. I will embed this on the main chatbot page.

I will have a look over the code and research a way that I can make it more efficient but my priority was bringing the chatbot to the communities that will benefit from it most rather than improving the code from the ones I have built. But as you have highlighted it then I will work on this once the chatbots have been built and the communities can utilise their content. (As I believe this is priority over the time taken to alter the excising code, I would rather do this in the near future after the chatbots are complete and being used to educate and help the communities as intended).

The chatbots have also sparked an interest into other documentation being translated for the communities, for example: Graphtronauts blogs and tutorials being translated for the French and German chatbot for their communities to use, as seen in the chatbots.

1 Like

Good Morning,

Having slept on this and thought about the grant process and the current situation which is currently preventing the grant being processed to the next on-chain voting step I would like to highlight a couple of points to be highlighted by the AdvocatesDAO committee if possible.

-I have been told that the grant needs a minimum of 6 GraphAdvocatesDAO members votes to progress to on-chain voting.

-Having looked within the documentation regarding the voting process, I cannot find this anywhere.

-However I have found the following under Community Voting , “Every grant application which has undergone this process of Community voting and collected at least 10 “yes” votes is proceeding to the review and due diligence process by the Grant Committee” (Current community “yes” votes is 13).

-With regards to Off-chain Voting, there is no mention of a number of “yes” votes. Having looked through recent community grants, there currently seems to be 6 active AdvocateDAO members, which means this needs to be a 100% “yes” vote rate if that was the case. And even though the support of a project may be immense, with many community “yes” votes, this means that 1 person voting no can stop the grant being progressed?

-I am highlighting this for further investigation and clarification please. I do not mean harm by it buta way of highlighting the issue of being told one thing and the documentation and previous grants being processed and paid for less than 6 “yes” votes. This has caused confusion and a lack of direction. Please see below. I am more than happy to have a community talk regarding this and see where the issue lies.

I am now confused and I not a newcomer to the grant or The Graph. I would hate for new grantees to have to go through this same situation.

I am not saying this is the case here but in in theory, 1 AdvocatesDAO member in the future who disliked a person or project could prevent any grants being processed with regards to that person or project. I want to reiterate this is not my view on this current situation.

-Furthermore it would appear that the “No” vote is not based on the product / tools, it’s use and value within the community. Increasing community awareness, engagement, understanding or participating in The Graph or Web3 ecosystem which it ticks all the boxes. But instead (after repeatedly being open and honest about my coding experience), having learnt how to code and built tools and continue to improve them and build for hours daily. It has been made public for the first time in my coding experience and then commented on that it is a poor standard and needs improving rather than the final product and what that offers. This has knocked my confidence and I don’t feel this should have been commented on in a public forum.

-Once again, please do not take offence to my statement. I am highlighting these issue to hopefully not discourage newcomers to The Graph and Web3 from learning new skills and building new tools. It will differ grant to grant, for example, if someone organised an event and forget all the props, struggles to deliver the public speaking, messed a few bits of information up then will they be judged on their performance or will it simple be on the event in question being a success and it’s community awareness etc.

Kind Regards,

Liam

Just quick clarification on the number of Committee votes needed for the proposal to go to the next stage which is on-chain voting. The number of active Grant Committee members fluctuates from month to month, and as a result, a different number of yes votes is required to consider a proposal recommended by the Grant Committee. On average it is 6 yes votes, it’s not a rule though, and it’s hard to make one for this because DAO members are free to be more or less involved from month to month, or not involved at all, depending on their personal bandwidth and decision.

2 Likes

I hereby agree to this grant agreement of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope
    • Educate French and Turkish community members about The Graph with the use of an automated chatbot.
  • Deliverables
    • Public version of the French chatbot, done before Januari 31st 2023.
    • Public version of the Turkish chatbot, done before March 31st 2023.
    • Chatbot to be kept up to date at all times, any new GRT news / features will added within a 24-48 hour period (target) with documentation and tutorials if applicable.
    • Additional feature on all current and future chatbots to have button alongside text input to enhance the user experience to ensure the user is getting the most out of the content and to ease the onboarding of newcomers.
    • Graph Advocates Spotlight Integration and future newsletters with continuous improvement.
  • Total Grant Amount
    • USD Value: 6000 USD
    • Token: GRT
    • Token Amount: X GRT initial funding of $2000 (pegged to the 30 day TWAP of GRT on Januari 1st 2023). X GRT upon completion of $4000.
  • Disbursement Schedule:
    • Initial Funding: 40%
    • Upon Completion: 60%
  • Receiving ETH Address: 0x0B89DafB9cE7E519008eE51B0C764e0c9AC5e857

Initial funding: 32,786.89 GRT ($2000)
Funding after completion of deliverables: 65,573 GRT ($4000)
Total funding: 98,360.66 GRT ($6,000)

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon a successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain.

1 Like

With regard to the Licence change, MIT License has been changed to Apache 2.0. For making improvements to the chatbots and so that translators can contribute easily via open-source GitHub through Pull Requests, I have made improvements. I know it wasn’t part of the deliverables for this grant but I have made these improvements to all chatbots and I will make them visible once the translations have been checked for each chatbot. I hope this is process is an improvement on the current way the chatbots are translated and improved. :relaxed:

3 Likes

The Graph AdvocatesDAO has approved initial funding of this grant proposal! Thanks to all community members that have been engaged throughout this process and providing feedback.

To the grant recipient:

The DAO is looking forward to hearing about your success! Following completion of your grant, please write a confirmation post as a response to this thread. The more details you provide, the easier it will be for the DAO to initiate the final funding amount in a future on-chain proposal. Providing links, docs and images of your completed grant will also help the DAO determine how to best promote the labors of your hard work. Good luck!

For more information on how to withdraw your grant, please review the following documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.

2 Likes

Firstly, I apologise for the lengthy forum post.

Thank you for the on-going support, not just for the amazing comments coming back with regards to the chatbots and their usage and worth but from the communities and Advocates that I have worked with. For me this whole experience and getting to work alongside some truly brilliant individuals is truly great. I am really enjoying getting to know all of the GRT communities and each one surprises me in their own way, truly a great community ecosystem being built around the world. It is an honour to be a part of it.

With regards to the final-funding I would like to provide evidence that the deliverables have been met. Along with what I have planned for the future.

Public version of the French chatbot, GRTDataHub :white_check_mark:

Public version of the Turkish chatbot, GRTDataHub :white_check_mark:

Chatbots are being kept up to date at all times with any new GRT news / features will added within a 24-48 hour period (target) with documentation and tutorials if applicable. :white_check_mark:

For example:

New announcements of chain integrations.

Additional feature on all current and future chatbots to have button alongside text input to enhance the user experience to ensure the user is getting the most out of the content and to ease the onboarding of newcomers. :white_check_mark:

Please visit any of the chatbots within GRTDataHub and ask for “help” within the respective language to view the new button feature for all of them.

Graph Advocates Spotlight Integration and future newsletters with continuous improvement, added on the day or as close to when the newsletters are shared within Discord. :white_check_mark:

I am very fortunate to be have had holiday from 17th Dec - 3rd Jan where I spent a lot longer coding and building each day than the usual 3-4 hours I normally do. This is the reason why the timeline for 1st chatbot was met just on time and the 2nd chatbot has been able to be built in a shorter period.

I know this next bit was not part of deliverable but it was mentioned within community presentation, so I acted on it.

At the bottom of each chatbot there is a link to a Translator Help Page. Where users / advocates from that community can see how to contribute to the improvements of the chatbots.

Please see below for the Open-source GitHub profile for GRTDataHub. Here the community can easily contribute / translators can translate new content and make improvements via Pull Requests or via the Discussions forum within GitHub. Also linked below for easy access. I will then implement the improvements myself.

——

Furthermore, I am in contact with 3 advocates who are actively translating chatbots in Ukrainian, Urdu and Hindi. I believe this will be the end of the chatbots being built from scratch and my work and time will go into keeping these updated and improvements as per the grants already for the influx of new GRT holders from all around the world. Enhancing their onboarding experience and educating where possible.

I also wish to build a tool to aid potential / budding GraphAdvocates to “Quiz” them on the roles, ecosystem, etc and prep them for the interviews. I have seen this a lot within the community chat and I believe this would be a great additional feature.

King Regards,

Liam | GRTDataHub

3 Likes

Will I be contacted via the Final Payment or will it be added into DAOHaus for withdrawal? I have not had a split grant previously so I’m sorry I don’t know the process of this part :relaxed:

The Graph AdvocatesDAO has approved initial funding of this grant proposal! Thanks to all community members that have been engaged throughout this process and providing feedback.

To the grant recipient:

The DAO is looking forward to hearing about your success! Following completion of your grant, please write a confirmation post as a response to this thread. The more details you provide, the easier it will be for the DAO to initiate the final funding amount in a future on-chain proposal. Providing links, docs and images of your completed grant will also help the DAO determine how to best promote the labors of your hard work. Good luck!

For more information on how to withdraw your grant, please review the following documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

1 Like

Hi, the initial payment had already been finalised. I’m not sure if this is a typo or an accidental mistake. But please scroll up to see from before. I was wondering how the final grant payment is paid now that all deliverables have been met. :pray::relaxed:

No, it’s not a mistake. At this point, it was exactly the initial funding thing. Good or bad, you are very fast in your work, so while the voting in the DAO was going on, which is 14 days to vote + 4 days grace period (if I am not mistaken), as I understand you were already able to complete the conditions. Next Grant committee + other members of the DAO will review your work and after confirming that all is fine, a final voting will be launched, which will give you the rest of the grant funds.

1 Like

Ohh I see! I must have misread it. Thanks for the update! Yes, I managed to make the 2nd chatbot in less time due to being able to work on it for more time over the Christmas holiday period rather than the normal 3-4 hours daily. I started building the chatbots whilst waiting for the final beta testing of the Spanish chatbot and this grant was submitted on 22 NOV 22. It was finished a day before the DAOHaus Grace period ended. I was lucky enough to have from 17 Dec - 3rd Jan off work where I put a lot of time into building and the updates. Meaning that the timeline that I put together of the estimated time to build was correct and on track for the updated and first chatbot but then a lot shorted and I could spend a lot more time on it instead of only in the evening. :relaxed: like now for example, I am currently working with 3 advocates for 3 other potential chatbots, what I believe will be the FINAL chatbots for the communities and then all my time will go on more updated and continuous improvements as per the grants. For anyone that works with me knows that I always strive to make things better as I love doing this and I like learning new skills. For those who I talk to often know that I don’t stop building, I have already made a start on an Urdu chatbot a couple of days after releasing the Turkish chatbot. - Edited It turns out Urdu will take me twice as long due to the complexity of the language and how it works reading right to left rather than left to right it is extremely hard to work with when coding in English. However, I am strong willed and will continue to build regardless! I also think Hindi will be the same situation.

2 Likes

I have been asked to post my email conversion with the Graph Advocates DAO within here for the community to see for transparency. :relaxed:

With regards to the final grant funding and what I have done within the project:

In brief:

• I hope this paints a clearer picture on how others can contribute and translators can help with ease.
  • Each chatbot has its own Translator Help Page and Chatbot Improvements form at the bottom of the page. However, I will be adding a full chatbot script file for translations that can be downloaded by advocates. I will updated this file with each chatbot update.

(Since sending this email, please visit the app and you will find the following buttons to view / download the chatbot content in full that translators will use for future chatbots)

I will also add the updates within the Discussions page on GitHub, and see which system works best. Discussions · GRTDataHub/GRTDataHubDevelopment · GitHub

• The support for a new language would be as simple as translating a “language” file, advocates text-translators could handle this. This will be a file as mentioned above that will be downloadable within each of the Translator Help Pages along with being added to the README.md file in the next few days.
  • Contribution Guidelines can also be found within the README.md file. As per the email you sent, I don’t currently deem this necessary for its own file however I can if that is the wish of the committee but the Translator Help Pages also have the information for this. I plan on making more comprehensive step-by-step guides in text and video format for non-coders who wish to create a Pull Request and do this their self rather than via the Discussions page on GitHub.

I am currently building an Urdu chatbot with Ukrainian and Hindi being actively translated by advocates. I believe these will be the final chatbots unless specially requested by another community. As I would like to spend my time working on all of the chatbots with continuous improvements so that when the next influx of GRT holders comes then it will be an asset for all to use. I also plan on adding a new “Quiz” feature to prepare budding future advocates for their interview stages and further educate their self. This feature will be inter-grated within the English chatbot only as interviews are currently conducted in English. (That will be after all chatbots are built and improved, so not for a little while yet)

——-

I really appreciate the support and the platform that is provided so that I can collaborate with community admins and fellow advocates from all around the world to build tools to help and educate GRT communities.

As I hope you are aware, I code as a hobby in the evenings between 3-5 hours per night and along a full-time job and busy family life. I fell in love with coding 2 years ago when I took my first online course and I have not wanted to stop since. Now, every free hour that I get I jump on the laptop and enjoy doing this. This is a whole new world away from my normal job which is Aeronautical Engineering. My positive experiences within the advocates and Web3 will stay with me forever. I hope to tell my story to potential budding advocates who would like to contribute to The Graph ecosystem but do not know how or feel like they will not be able to. I will continue to build and help the community to the best of my ability and I want to thank the GraphAdvocatesDAO for your support and each advocate that I have come in contact with along the journey and for those in the future who I will meet and work with. I plan on stepping up my community engagement within the live chats and forum in the next few months, however I am normally at work when the meetings take place but I do get involved with other community talk when I can. Having taken part within The Graph Nigeria community talk this weekend, I really enjoyed the experience. Being able to hopefully encourage more people to take that step to become an advocate from hearing my story is the goal here! Just because you are not a developer does not mean you cannot contribute. I truly believe that there is a role for everyone here within The Graph community, and anyone can help to make it a better ecosystem for the future!

1 Like

Congratulations! The final funding of your grant has been approved by the DAO. Thank you for contributing to the growth of The Graph and web3 ecosystem.

Now it’s time to focus on promoting your accomplishments! If you haven’t already done so, evaluate different ways to showcase your grant across different platforms, such as Twitter, the Graph Forum, Discord, Telegram or LinkedIn. Also feel free to reach out in the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server to seek help from others to promote your grant.

For information in how to getting paid for your grant, have a look at our official documentation here.

1 Like