Grant Proposal: ETHChicago - [Closed]

Grant submission suggested by our volunteer kevinjones-crypto and jorgeflores who attends the local Chicago eth meetups.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Summary:

The ETHChicago Hackathon is a three-day builder and creative IRL event where participants compete to win bounties sponsored by our partners. Bounties consist of tying together new technology in the blockchain space, innovating and learning from each other about existing blockchain tools, or solving real-world use cases with the unique properties of decentralized technology.

The Chicago Ethereum Meetup has been active since 2015 and we have yet to host a conference or hackathon for ourselves in this big city. We didn’t get an ETHGlobal-sponsored event so we decided to try to do our own, run by local Chicagoans.

Team:

led by Andrew Poterala twitter @dpotsdobeck who runs Chainvision the digital asset exposure of the bluhm family office fund. He was able to get us some initial funding for the venue and set up the entity to handle the logistics of the event including receiving partnership funds.

I am an Ethereum core dev twitter @jameshe_eth who works on the prysm consensus client and helping organize our local event, I have been helping with partnership discussions and will help with organizing the hackathon.

For some more on the team of volunteers visit our website below

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

https://www.ethchicago.xyz/
https://twitter.com/0xEthChicago/status/1673679507499237383?s=20 - promotional video

The Metropolitan club in the willis tower, Chicago IL

Date:
09-15-2023 to 09-17-2023

Budget Breakdown:
Roughly 80k for venue, food/drink, 20k for AV, support, decorations etc, and 10-20k for bounties

Attendees:
We are hoping to get 200 conference attendees and 300 hackers.

Are you applying as a team or individual?:

Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Chicagoans

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:

• Allowing Kevin Jones to come in and help with the graph/edge&node/buildl guidl initiatives ( travel expenses)
  • Bounty for hackathon
  • Sponsorship Fees
  • subsidize venue fees
  • sponsor hackers ( tickets for hackers cost 75 to encourage attendance and help pay for venue fees )

Benefits

• 5min keynote
  • booth
  • 6 tickets ( open for discussion)
  • Social medial logo
  • up to 2 workshop spots
  • other things open to discussion.

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
Yes please find a complete list on our website

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
We are waiting for legal contracts for
Arbitrum - 20k
Runtime verification - 10k
Mantle Labs - 10k

There are several others we are applying to and waiting including Jump, Wormhole, Pyth, Ethereum Support Program ( Ethereum Foundation ), and local venture funds.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:

ETHChicago is a developer driven event with the hopes of connecting the locals and talent in our city. The talent has been spread out and are forced to attend events in other cities. we want to create an event that will connect the local community even more so than the typical meetups to celebrate our passion in the space. This could also be a great way to advance the local graph community as well.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
I have been working as an Ethereum core developer on the prysm consensus client for almost 2 years now.
More recently we got acquired by offchain labs the creators of Arbitrum and have been working there for more than half a year.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
The target audience of the hackathon is developers and builders and The Graph would be a great opportunity in expanding. I would also love to have Kevin Jones help out with our event specifically.

2 Likes

Hi! I think you should re-apply for your grant through this link : The Graph: Grants Application

Your current proposal is in a format where no one will be able to vote.

Got it thank you for responding I’ll give that a go. apologies

Am I able to close this one?

reopened here Grant Proposal: ETHChicago

Only DAO member will be able do this for you.

Closed in accordance with the fact that a new application in the correct form has been created. The link is Grant Proposal: ETHChicago