Grant Proposal: BlockchainUNN Blockchain conference 2023

Grant ID: 8669k84tf

Summary:

BLOCKCHAINUNN community of digital enthusiast with a drive to educate , impact and develop members of the University Community with basic knowledge of Cryptocurency and blockchain education as well as it’s technology development in the Tertiary institution

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

If available, please enter a link to your project below:
BlockchainUNN Blockchain Conference 2022 - Thriller Highlights - YouTube https://cryptotvplus.com/2022/03/blockchain-unn-blockchain-conference-2022/ https://twitter.com/blockchainunn/status/1501486828788015109?s=46&t=r8H47BdaxI3_QN0RsSkpnA BlockchainUNN Blockchain Conference 2022. Event Highlights. #Crypto #Blockchain #Adoption #UNN #Tech - YouTube

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Delegators, Indexers, Curators

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
Sponsorship we choose the plantinium package
$10,000
Swag designs $500
Transportation,shelter and feeding for 2 team members
$1500
Setup of graph boot and stand for the event
$500
Miscellaneous Incase and extra cost arise $500

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
Yes

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
Near protocol funded the new university hub which I hosted event in 2 different universities
Akwa Ibom state university
University of port Harcourt
Event where made up of sport and education series in the two universities

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
This is an education event which will help teach people bout web 3 and onboard more web3 enthusiast/developers into the graph ecosystem

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
I have been attending Blockchain event over the country and I have hosted some too . It’s all been amazing ,teaching people bout something they were not familiar with , the mission is to constantly push the good news of web3 around Nigeria

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
As a graph advocate and someone who is passionate bout web3 and wants to onboard as many people as possible it’s will be an honor to use the graph ecosystem to push my dreams
And onboard more people into web 3

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote (Closes on Mar 16th)

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Details bout the event including the sponsorship package
Event Is on April

Hello @Hsmoney,

Thank you for submitting this proposal, I have a few questions.

1. What do you mean with swag designs?

2. Why did you think the platinum package is the right package to choose?

3. Which Graph Advocates would go to this event?

2 Likes

Thank you @Colson for the questions

Swag is more like a branded set of polo , face caps and hoodies which will be used during the event
These branded materials will be use during the pre event rallies which will happened in the school campuses
The rally events include the various awareness program which will be hosted in every department in the school
Volunteers will put on the platinum sponsor Brand designs and during the awareness campaigns only platinum sponsors will be feature
Which means a brief introduction bout the graph ecosystem in all the departments in the school

Ok just like I said it’s only the platinum sponsors that will feature in the rally campaigns
And will be talked bout
Also the event is categorized into two sessions
The technical event which will mostly include developers
Here the platinum sponsors will be allowed to talk bout the technical aspect of their projects

During the non technical event

Other sponsors will be allowed to speak bout their projects buh with minimum time
Platinum sponsors will be allocated with much time when I was on call with the co founders and the organizers of the event I was able to convince them that we will need more time
To present our project

Site will be allocated for boot creation
We have major boot
These boots will be larger in size
These boots will be located at the event center

Other sponsors will be givens minor boot and some no boots
And minor won’t be at the event center
Platinum sponsors are considered priority

Post ama events for only platinum sponsors
Which means from time to time we will have an ama session with them
Attend other events they will hosting in school too (if any)

In the events flyers our Qrp code to the community(graph Nigeria and graph protocol global) will be printed in it only for platinum sponsors
Which means
Someone can easily scan and have access to our community

There events is going to have a minimum of 3000 Blockchain enthusiast
So perhaps the goal of thr graph attending this event is to onboard a minimum of 700 active network participant

At the moment it’s just I and @TheGraph_Nigeria
But I will try to connect with other graph advocate in Enugu if there is any
I think the graphica discord server is one of the place to see some advocate to connect with

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you so much for the submission.

I am little lost about this application.

According this submission you ask for platinum package for ths blockchainUNN.
That means that The AdvocatesDAO should have a platinum sponsorship of this conference to send 2 advocates to be present and speak about The Graph?

1.- How many conferences can The Graph give with that payment?
2.- What is the topic(s) to be presented at the conference?
3.- Who would be in charge of presentations?
4.- what is the background of the speakers?

2 Likes

Hello @Lorena thank you for your questions

I didn’t quite understand this but if you are asking if it’s possible to get a post event with the platinum package
There will be continuous AMA session with Blockchain unn and if they have any event in school we will be invited
So the Platinum sponsor is more like a year sponsorship
So if they have 6 events coming up we will attend the 6 and still be a core sponsor
The platinum sponsor also have other benefits

The event is a two days event
The technical session and the non technical session

So the topic for the technical session is

“Subgraph development and how to become a subgraph developer ”

The topic for the non technical session is

“introduction to graph protocol and the explanation of graph network participant and the graph advocate program ”
Here, there will be emphasis laid on the benefits of joining the Network participants of The ecosystem and also the benefits of joining the advocates program

I and @TheGraph_Nigeria will handle the non technical aspect of the event
And @DataNexus will handle the technical session virtually

@DataNexus is a subgraph developer and they built the rocketpool and silo (and some few others )

@TheGraph_Nigeria had been in the graph ecosystem since 2022 , he is a very active advocate who has hosted and attended several event and has brought in so many people through his leadership and mentorship skills , he has a good knowledge bout the non technical aspect of the ecosystem

And I my self who have been in the graph ecosystem since last year September
I have read through the graph academy and has a wide knowledge bout the ecosystem
And I can also handle the non technical aspect of this program

1 Like

@Hsmoney Thank you for all your answers.

I think this idea is great and you’re well aware of the capabilities of the team-members. I therefore think I am in favour of voting yes on this proposal.

However, I am not convinced 75+% of funding should go to the sponsorship package. Imagine we could do 3 or more other events with that amount of money.

I would like to see a detailed and convincing argument on how the benefits of the platinum package outweigh the possibility of sponsoring other hackathons.

1 Like

I’m voting against the proposal because the funding request seems too high for me.

I would appreciate the possibility of being able to choose the plan/package, especially in case when, as far as I know, it is the first time we are supposed to fund this particular event. Was there ever any other Graph’s representative speaking at this event ever before? Have you ever participated in the previous editions of the hackathon, if there were any?

I also want to vote against it. From what I’ve read and looked at the project, I think the amount asked for is a bit high.

A large percentage goes to the platinum package. For the amount quoted there, you could organize standalone events which would be strictly about The Graph.

But thank you for your time! And good luck!

1 Like

Hello everyone thank you @juliannaMLN @doxe01.eth and @Colson for your questions

Yes @juliannaMLN the package is high
Due to the following factors
University of Nigeria nsuka is the highest university with crypto adoption (80% of the entire student is into crypto including lecturers )and the second in terms of numbers of event attendees after After Nigeria Fintech
Perhaps am sure this is the reason their package looks high
During their first series which happened 3 years ago (2020)their highest package was $500
Then they were able to make an event of 200 plus attendee
The following year 2021 highest package was $1000 and the number of attendees around 700

And the one of 2022 saw an increase in package to $7000 due to how impressive and popular the event was
Saw an attendance of 1000 active crypto enthusiasts

The unn conference of 2023 is programmed to have a minimum of 3000 attendees
And it’s going to be the first edition of the conference that will be joint campus
Other years have been only one campus and people from other state will
Also be coming to the event
So it’s going to be a very big event

Yea sure the dao has the right to choose other plans that was the reason I posted the sponsor package
My reason for choosing the sponsor platinum package is as follows

1. I wanted the graphs protocol to be seen as priority in the event and be given enough time and opportunity to carry out onboarding activities
  2. I wanted our boot to be located at the event site
    So we can have greater opportunities to talk to people coming into the event
  3. Post event privileges both online and physical, the the blockchain unn will recognize the platinum sponsors as a year partnership until the 2024 unn conference
    Which means we will be attending unn Blockchain events for a year even without sponsoring
    (The platinum package is a year partnership )

No this is the first time the graphs protocol will be attending the blockchain unn yearly conference

Yes 2022 I was suppose to attend the unn 2022 series with the octopus network but couldn’t make it to the event because of the semester examination of my school
But feedbacks was positive and it was worth the hype

You can
Also check the reports

Hello @doxe01.eth thank you for your questions I also answered this why the price looks high
General for me I think it always big brand with big reputation attract big prices

Yes it’s true we can organize stand alone event
I thought of this also before making the proposal
This was my analysis

With $4000 to $5000 we can organize a stand alone event of 200 to 300 attendees I mean active and organic event
In any university in the country

With approximately $15000
We can organize 3 events with approximately 900 to 1000 attendees
With the platinum package we stand a chance of attending an event of 3000 attendees we also stand a chance of upcoming post events
So let’s say in a year we are likely to get 5 to 8 events with the blockchain unn
I am convince it’s a going to be a great partnership
Generally it is quality over quantity
Exposing graph protocol to an event which I can say is partially a national events since its a event that will have attendees across the nation is a plus for us

Thank you @Colson

“Yes it’s true we can organize stand alone event
I thought of this also before making the proposal
This was my analysis

With $4000 to $5000 we can organize a stand alone event of 200 to 300 attendees I mean active and organic event
In any university in the country

With approximately $15000
We can organize 3 events with approximately 900 to 1000 attendees
With the platinum package we stand a chance of attending an event of 3000 attendees we also stand a chance of upcoming post events
So let’s say in a year we are likely to get 5 to 8 events with the blockchain unn
I am convince it’s a going to be a great partnership
Generally it is quality over quantity
Exposing graph protocol to an event which I can say is partially a national events since its a event that will have attendees across the nation is a plus for us”

My reason for choosing the sponsor platinum package is as follows

1. I wanted the graphs protocol to be seen as priority in the event and be given enough time and opportunity to carry out onboarding activities
  2. I wanted our boot to be located at the event site
    So we can have greater opportunities to talk to people coming into the event
  3. Post event privileges both online and physical, the the blockchain unn will recognize the platinum sponsors as a year partnership until the 2024 unn conference
    Which means we will be attending unn Blockchain events for a year even without sponsoring
    (The platinum package is a year partnership ) ”
1 Like

Thanks for your submission and for all of your responses @Hsmoney . I personally think it would benefit The Graph and the Advocates program to have representation at this event. But after reviewing the sponsorship packages I don’t see any real reason why the Gold Sponsorship isn’t sufficient.

For that reason I’m voting no for now. But if the sponsorship was changed to Gold or below I would change my vote to yes.

Thanks again for applying and responding to everyone’s questions.

1 Like

Thank you @Colson @juliannaMLN @doxe01.eth and @Mr.1776 for taking your time to say your opinion and vote on this
I think the general opinion of the Dao is centered on the platinum package and majority of people are calling for a change of package
So we have decided to change the sponsorship package from platinum to Gold

Which means the total sum requested now Is

$8,000

Thank you

3 Likes

I also wanted to add to my thoughts above. I have been to and organized many conferences in my country before the war. Personally, I think that a concentrated conference, on a dedicated topic or project, is better.

Since in the end we have 3000 people coming to the conference, yes The Graph can stand out at it, but there will still be other projects there that in turn will take the focus on themselves.

If we are talking about a conference purely for The Graph, yes probably fewer people will come, but they are people who know where they are going and will get the most useful information about the project and most importantly, they do not need to fill their heads with unnecessary things, because there will not be other projects.

I’m not talking about all cases, take this one as more specific.

Thank you!

1 Like

At this point, I’m changing my vote to yes, but it’s interesting to see what happens later at the presentation.

3 Likes

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on 7th March at 18:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thank everyone for your attention!

4 Likes

After the presentation, I have some concerns which is why my vote is still No. The first is primarily the fact that the packages and benefits stated on the Pitch deck are different from what was mentioned at the presentation.

The second is that the number of expected attendees is a good target but hasn’t been achieved before so what to expect is about 1/3 of that and there will also be other sponsors there as well competing for the same audience.

I’m in favor of the event as I think it will be a good way to introduce The Graph to as many students as possible but will change my vote to Yes if the package is changed to Silver since it’s benefits are very similar to the Gold package.

2 Likes

Hello :wave: @Chidubem thank you for your suggestions
I also agree to the fact the 3000 attendees the intend to have in this event has never been achieve but I was only convince judging from past event’s they have always delivered their numbers

Also thank you for sharing with the vision of this events which is solely to onboard students with passion bout Blockchain into the graph protocol

Also forming a strategic partnership with the Blockchain hub of the school (Blockchain unn) will also generate a support back from them when/or of we plan to host a graph standalone events in the school
They will probably help us in creating awareness/organising , as well as give us a good welcome to their school by encouraging their hub members/community to join events

I believe this event will bring a positive feedback to graph protocol both now and In future as well .

We have considered to go with the silver package ($3000) for this event

Which takes our final budget to

$6000

Thank you

1 Like

Thank you for your answers, engagements and making adjustments to your proposal, I have changed my vote to Yes.

I look forward to the success of this proposal, good luck!

4 Likes

After reviewing all the comments and adjustments, I voted Yes to this grant proposal. Thanks @Hsmoney for your time and effort in providing all the answers and amendments to this grant.
I also think the initial grant proposal was too high. I truly believe this is the way to go, to start with a smaller approach, gain experience, deliver, build a name in the local community.
Thanks again for your work so far.

3 Likes