Guidelines for DAO committee meeting recordings

Hey all,

The video team and the Ops committee have been chatting about how to best balance open practices and privacy with our DAO meetings.

I’d appreciate it if you would share your feedback about DAO meeting recording in the following polls.

Advocates Committee

• Select privacy of Advocates Committee meeting recordings
  • Public video
  • Private video
  • Unlisted video
  • Do not post to YouTube (or equivalent web3 platform)

0 voters

Grants Committee

• Select privacy of Grants Committee meeting recordings
  • Public video
  • Private video
  • Unlisted video

0 voters

Operations Committee

• Select privacy of Operations Committee meeting recordings
  • Public video
  • Private video
  • Unlisted video

0 voters

3 Likes

My initial thought is that it may feel a bit uncomfortable, especially in the beginning, to have meetings take pace publicly or be shared publicly but at the same time I do like the idea of transparency and think that the content will be engaging for some of the community and advocates outside of the DAO. I’m somewhat conflicted about how to vote on these because I also value privacy. I’m concerned that members may be less inclined to share their opinion or bring up issues if recordings/meetings are public. If they are recorded and shared publicly, we may want to be more structured about the agenda as well.

Public Recording Pros: Community/Advocates can learn more about how the DAO operates. May encourage Advocates to pursue joining the DAO. Feels more aligned with web3 ethos - open, decentralized, accountability.

Private/No Recording Pros: Member privacy. Less Structured. Less filtered opinions. Feels like a safer environment.

3 Likes

Great points @Christina. There are definitely pros and cons to each option here.

I was just reading the latest Graph Council Meeting Notes which are structured by the Chatham House Rules and am wondering if a similar solution might work for us. We can record the meetings (which I think would be useful for multiple reasons) and keep them private but release meeting notes publicly. This gives more transparency than not releasing anything but would still allow folks to feel fully comfortable to speak their minds without fear of attack or criticism from community members. Here’s a link to the Graph Council Meeting Notes for reference:

The added benefit to this approach is that it will require us to take thorough meeting notes :slight_smile:

There could certainly be challenges with this approach that haven’t come to my mind yet but it seems like a viable alternative in between the options listed in the poll if we can’t land on one or the other.

3 Likes