Grant Proposal: Web3Bridge Cohort X Bootcamp (Lagos)

Grant ID: 86871ddft

Summary:

Web3Bridge is launching a comprehensive 16-week boot camp aimed at empowering developers in their transition to web3. This program offered both virtually and in-person, focuses on equipping developers with the necessary skills. The boot camp encompasses technical training, project development, and pitching opportunities.

Participants will receive hands-on experience in building web3 dApps and will specifically integrate The Graph into their projects. Also, the program includes two sessions where I’ll initially do a technical workshop that explains how subgraphs work and the second session will be a live workshop building a subgraph. I also intend to reach out to members from BuildersDAO to assist with additional technical support either virtually or in-person during the second session as participants would need help for seamless integration when using The Graph.

This initiative aligns with The Graph’s mission to onboard high-quality developers into the community (AdvocateDAO or BuildersDAO), thereby contributing to the growth and adoption of The Graph within the broader web3 ecosystem.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
Empowering developers transition to web3

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

How far along are you?:
Since opening the registration link (November 8th, 2023), 254 students have registered, and the boot camp launched on January 8th.

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
Web3Bridge has made impactful strides over four years with a track record of leading 9 cohorts, introducing over 4,000 individuals to Web3, and contributing significantly to the open-source community. I chose to pursue this initiative because of its potential to bridge a critical gap in the developer community. The transition from web2 to web3 can be daunting for developers due to the complex nature of the web3 ecosystem. This Cohort X Bootcamp is currently aligned with The Graph’s mission of potentially onboarding more high-quality subgraph developers into the community. My domain expertise in this area stems from hosting multiple virtual and in-person events, including workshops specifically centered around how subgraphs access and retrieve blockchain data. Also, I have conducted practical live-building sessions demonstrating the building of subgraphs on Ethereum.

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
The innovative aspect of Cohort X lies in its comprehensive approach to guiding developers through the intricacies of the complete web3 stack and also specifically focusing on integrating The Graph into their projects. This boot camp aims to fill the knowledge gap by offering a structured curriculum, hands-on guidance, and live technical support, providing developers with a holistic understanding and practical skills in leveraging The Graph within their projects.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
This project significantly impacts The Graph and the broader web3 ecosystem by fostering a thriving community of skilled developers proficient in utilizing subgraphs to access blockchain data. This boot camp aims to enhance the adoption of The Graph, cultivate a community of high-quality developers, and elevate the skill sets of developers transitioning from web2 to web3.

How will you measure success?:
How will you measure success?
Success will be measured through several key performance indicators (KPIs) that reflect the impact and effectiveness of the boot camp:

Participant Engagement: Tracking the number of developers enrolled and their active participation throughout the program.

Integration Metrics: Assessing the number of web3 dApps developed during the boot camp that successfully integrate The Graph, indicating practical usage.

Feedback and Surveys: Gathering participant feedback regarding the program’s effectiveness, content relevance, and overall satisfaction.

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
In the upcoming weeks, with or without the grant, the milestones for the Web3Bridge Cohort Developer Bootcamp initiative include:

Curriculum Development: Conclude the development of the comprehensive curriculum encompassing technical training and project development modules.

Participant Recruitment & Selection: Launch promotional campaigns and outreach strategies to attract and enroll developers for the boot camp, and conduct the two stages of assessment to select qualified students for the boot camp.

Partnership Strengthening: Solidify collaborations with community partners and potential collaboration with the AdvocatesDAO and BuildersDAO to ensure seamless technical support and resources for participants.

Program Preparation: Assemble necessary resources, materials, and technical infrastructure required for the successful execution of both virtual and in-person sessions.

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
$3000 - Sponsorship for Web3Bridge
$800 - Branding, Media and Swag

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
Yes

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
Web3bridge bootcamp has enjoyed sponsorship and collaboration from Base, Polygon, Starkware, Cartesi, Filecoin & The Ethereum Foundation

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Since 2021, I’ve been actively involved in building the decentralized web with The Graph as my entry portal into web3. I’m a proud Advocate&DAO member for the GraphAdvocatesDAO, DAO member of The Graph BuildersDAO, and Community Manager for Africa. I contribute to a vibrant community where individuals and teams are contributing in their respective capacities, spearheading a data revolution, and ushering in a new era of decentralization.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
The evidence of my passion for web3 and The Graph is visible considering I’m an active advocate consistently dedicating myself to solving problems and assisting fellow community members or web3 enthusiasts. My conviction about The Graph’s critical role as a foundational component drives me to continuously seek opportunities to contribute and make a meaningful impact. Blockchain technology represents a paradigm shift towards decentralization, transparency, and user empowerment aligning perfectly with my belief in a more equitable and user-centric internet.

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

3 Likes

Greetings!

Want to ask some questions, to see more better picture for myself.

• How detailed is the curriculum in covering the various aspects of web3 development, and does it cater to different levels of developer expertise?
  • What are the criteria for selecting participants for the boot camp, and how do you ensure diversity and inclusivity?
  • Post-boot camp, is there a plan for ongoing support or mentorship for the participants?
  • What are the expected tangible outcomes (e.g., projects, dApps) from participants by the end of the boot camp?
  • Beyond the initial KPIs, how will the long-term impact of the boot camp on the participants’ careers and the web3 community be measured?
  • Is there a plan to scale this boot camp to reach a wider audience or to replicate it in different regions or communities?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Adding also:

• when the new cohort will start, and how many workshops we can deliver?
  • who will deliver the workshops?
1 Like

Thank you for your insightful questions.

1. Curriculum Detail:
    • The curriculum is meticulously designed, focusing on web3 technology, specifically using EVM-compatible languages like Solidity to create blockchain-based dApps. Web3Bridge has successfully trained over 880 students since its establishment. I’ve attached their sponsorship proposal (opting for the platinum package and renegotiating it to the amount requested) and curriculum for your reference (access can be granted upon request).
  2. Diversity and Inclusivity:
    • Participant selection involves a rigorous assessment process to identify top performers (I also attached a sample), ensuring representation from different states in Nigeria and countries in Africa. Collaborations with female Blockchain communities such as Kenya Blockchain Ladies DAO - https://twitter.com/DaoLadies?s=20, Web3Ladies - https://twitter.com/web3ladies?s=20, Crypto Ladies League - https://twitter.com/CryptoLadiesL_?s=20, and communities in other African countries contribute to a diverse cohort. The current cohort includes 4 Kenyan participants of which 3 are scheduled to come in person.
  3. Ongoing Support and Mentorship:
    • Post-boot camp, ongoing support, and mentorship will be facilitated through The Graph Africa’s Telegram where live coding workshops are held twice a month. I intend to onboard high-quality developers from this engagement into The Graph Advocates program.
  4. Expected Tangible Outcomes:
    • Each student is expected to build a dApp project, leveraging The Graph for easy data access.
  5. Long-Term Impact Measurement:
    • The long-term impact will be measured through The Graph Africa’s Telegram group, tracking the onboarding and contributions of high-quality technical advocates.
  6. Scaling Plan:
    • Collaborations with ETHNigeria, Web3Bridge, and GDSC are underway, with plans for a series of virtual workshops and strategic in-person events where there is actual use case or implementation of The Graph. The goal is to reach a wider audience, culminating in a large-scale hackathon at the end of the year, with over 3000 participants expected.

I’m enthusiastic about the potential impact of this collaboration and look forward to any further discussions or information you may require.

Thank you!

1 Like

The cohort commenced on the 9th of this month.

As a part of the negotiations, I am set to conduct two workshops and intend to collaborate with The BuildersDAO to secure additional technical support during the second phase, focusing on participants integrating The Graph with their dApps. To provide clarity:

• The initial workshop entails a technical presentation, illustrating the workings of subgraphs in indexing blockchain data. This session will utilize GraphQL to showcase query examples and practical use cases.
  • The subsequent workshop will involve me actively building and deploying a subgraph. This hands-on session aims to guide participants as they concurrently develop their dApps.

It’s also a good way for other technical advocates to provide technical support and become more involved.

2 Likes

I don’t think I have permissions to upload any docs

1 Like

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on Jan 23th at 10am UTC.

Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation.

3 Likes

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on January 30th at 10:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thanks everyone for your attention!

2 Likes

I hereby agree to this grant agreement of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope
    • Sponsoring and supporting Web3bridge bootcamp to promote The Graph
  • Deliverables
    • The initial workshop entails a technical presentation, illustrating the workings of subgraphs in indexing blockchain data. This session will utilize GraphQL to showcase query examples and practical use cases.
    • The subsequent workshop will involve me actively building and deploying a subgraph. This hands-on session aims to guide participants as they concurrently develop their dApps.
  • Total Grant Amount
    • USD Value: 3,800 USD
    • Token: GRT
    • Token Amount: 23,718 GRT
  • Disbursement Schedule
    • Initial Funding: 100%
  • Term Length:
    • Start Date: now
    • End Date: 4-May-2024
  • Receiving ETH Address: 0x08B39B4C2bCFA17ffC3C768Ec43d6e2204aBE161

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon a successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain and that the GRT (30-day average) rate will be considered at the point of initiating a proposal, whether for the provision of initial funding or the culmination of the final payment.

1 Like

Hello Chidubem,

Congratulations! The full funding of your grant has been approved by the DAO. Thank you for contributing to the growth of The Graph and web3 ecosystem.

Now it’s time to focus on promoting your accomplishments! If you haven’t already done so, evaluate different ways to showcase your grant across different platforms, such as Twitter, the Graph Forum, Discord, Telegram or LinkedIn. Also, feel free to reach out in the Graph Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server to seek help from others to promote your grant.

For information on how to get paid for your grant, have a look at our official documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be outlined in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to the Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.