Grant Proposal: Web3brdge / Web3 Lagos Confernce 2.0

Grant ID: 86851a9fj

Summary:

Web3bridge is a training program dedicated to training solidity & web3 developers in Africa. The program started in 2019 and trained over 120 solidity developers contributing to the ecosystem globally. Headquartered in Nigeria, Web3bridge has trained developers across eight (8) African countries and over a remote and physical training program.

To consolidate the success of Web3bridge, we started Web3 Lagos conference to host developers and everyone working in the Web3 ecosystem in African including newbies who are working their way into the ecosystem.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
Web3bridge trains solidity developers in Africa

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

How far along are you?:
We are at the start of Web3Brdige cohort IX and executing plans for the web3 Lagos 2.0

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
After running several hands on training to help developers transition to Blockchain development we discover the need for an all inclusive conference that captures several areas of the industry to help increase adoption.

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
our conference cater for developers, designers and all other non technical field to benefits from different discussions.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Our project will help create awareness for the graph ecosystem as we have active ecosystem players coming in for the conference including those we have trained and new entries to the ecosystem.

How will you measure success?:
We are expecting between 1500 - 1700 attendes where about 45 % are Engineers and technically inclined persons. And we are inviviting two graph advocates.

1. Chidubem Okeke
  2. Charles Freeborn
    to give workshop presentation arounf the graph ecosystem.
    This will help achieve our aim of creating awareness about the solutions around the graph ecosystem.

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
Commencement of Web3Bridge cohort IX and Web3Lagos Conference

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Indexers, Curators

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
$3,0000

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
Yes

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
We have trained developers into the ecosystem and in the last year conferance we have a recorded attendance of 1250 persons which has yielded positive results to both technical and non- technical attendees.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
we want to expand the reach of graph to our talented developers and confernece attendess to be able to build and also contribute to the graph prtotocol

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Thank you for submitting your grant application to Graph AdvocatesDAO. I appreciate your efforts to train solidity developers and promote awareness of the graph ecosystem in Africa.

I have a few follow-up questions for you:

1. I would like for you to breakdown the requested grant of $3000. It would help me, and others, better understand how the funds will be allocated. Providing a breakdown of the budget will enable us to assess the feasibility and impact of the proposed activities.

2. I would like to get a better understanding how The Graph and Graph Advocates will be involved in the web3 Lagos Conference 2.0. Could you please elaborate on the specific roles and contributions that Graph Advocates will have during the conference?

3. I would like to know how many Graph Advocates could potentially help out at the event.

I look forward to reading your answers, please let me know if any of my questions were unclear!

1 Like

Thank you for this proposal and I believe this is an initiative that would tremendously enhance Web3 and the Graph community in Lagos
As was previously mentioned by @Colson a breakdown of the expenses and the enumeration of advocates that will help out will go a long way
As a resident of Lagos, I personally know that such an initiative will be well received

1 Like

Yes, thank you for your proposal and for taking the time to apply for a grant! Interesting suggestion for the development side of The Graph in Africa. But still I had a few questions while reviewing it:

1/ To clarify the question about the budget. What we mean is how exactly the budget will be spent. So x for this, x for that. And so on.

2/ You indicated that you have previously received grants from other organizations, projects. Could you tell us about them or perhaps share a link to that particular partnership?

3/ What is your target audience? How many attendees do you expect in total?

4/ In general, if possible, I would like to hear about your development. What have you achieved in these few years of work?

Thank you!!!

3 Likes

Really interested in this proposal! It looks like you have some great speakers lined up

I took a look through the website and it looks like the $3000 would make The Graph a silver level sponsor. Is that correct and can you confirm that would give us the following:

• Conference booth during the 3 days of Web3LC
  • Brand exposure on digital supports online and onsite
  • Media presence (can you provide more details on what this consists of?)
  • Exhibition chair and table

I’d also love to hear from @Chidubem @charliecodes about their involvement and plans for The Graph workshop they would be hosting.

Thanks again for submitting this proposal!

3 Likes

Awesome proposal and I am lending my voice to this.

The Web3 Lagos Conference is apparently going to be one of the largest web3 focused conference in Nigeria and I think it is a tremendous opportunity to give more visibility of the Graph to the community of Web3 developers and builders.

I’ve followed the work of the web3 bridge and find their work across the African continent truly inspiring.

1 Like

CharlieCodes here

I am supporting this because -

1. I met the co-founder of web3 bridge and web3 Lagos conference at a blockchain event at University of Nigeria, Nsukka, BlockchainUNN and encouraged the team to apply for this grant, after learning about the past web3 Lagos conference and the work being done in web3 bridge.

2. This will give more exposure of the Graph to the web3 developers in Lagos Nigeria who will be attending the conference.

3. The team seems to have a lot of validation from other organizations like the Ethereum Foundation.

On our - @Chidubem and I - plans

1. I will be speaking at the conference
  2. I will also be volunteering my time to be at the Graph booth to answer questions about the Graph
  3. The workshop will be on building subgraphs on Ethereum - hopefully, be handled by @Chidubem
2 Likes

Yes we will provide conference booth where attendees connect and interact with graph advocates

We will be live streaming via YouTube and a decentralised steaming platform streameth.org, we will design the recordings to show brands that sponsor the event

Media presence ensures all brands that supported the conference get listed on all platforms we adopt for PR campaigns

The majority decision of the Grant Committee concludes to not recommend this proposal for DAO funding. Please recognize that this is not a statement on the proposal itself, but rather an aggregated reflection by committee members taking into account a number of factors, such as alignment to The Graph and web3 ecosystem, budget available to support grants and prioritization relative to other proposed grants.

Below you find brief feedback brought up within the committee to not recommend DAO funding that may help you to submit successful grant applications in the future:

Grantee’s inactivity on the forum, not being able to answer questions. Ignoring letters on mail and also in personal messages. In the future, please do not ignore letters from grant committee members, as this is a fundamental part when working with grants.

Thank you for submitting this proposal, and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger support from the committee.

Sincerely,
Graph AdvocatesDAO