Grant Proposal: Urdu, Hindi & Ukrainian Chatbots - GRTDataHub

Derek,

Thank you for taking my time to read my essay and sorry if it wasted your time haha. But I am glad I have managed to give you the full picture. :relaxed:

I would be more than happy to help! However, it has also been highlighted that the use of AI would be cool to see within these chatbots for the future. I have not previously explored this avenue but maybe it would be the next logical step (I will seek advice on this when the time comes as to the best way to approach this). Once this major upgrade has happened then that tool will probably be the most powerful, with the use of neural network so the community can teach the bot the more it is used. My apologies if this isn’t correct as I have not yet explored this route however I would love to help in any way I can.

Once again, thanks for your time and in reading my responses to your questions. :pray:

1 Like

That’d be awesome! Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

Thank you for your answers Liam!

If I have any more questions later I’ll reach out to you in this forum.

3 Likes

I’m torn about the application, I see that the communities are actively using it, which means it’s helpful. I also know that you are very hardworking and I admire your attitude and #buidl mindset! So here I’m arrogantly forcing even more development from you! :wink:

You know already my opinion about how the translation process of the chatbot should look like. I can’t see that it has changed the way I hoped and kind of expected after your last enthusiastic reaction to the Grant Committee’s suggestions. The language versions simply cost too much ($2000 for dissecting the code + $300-$500 for each translation). My opinion is that with the proper architecture, we should be paying only for the translation.

Another aspect is the continuation/maintenance of the translation for these and previous languages. I imagine there is content added to the chatbot’s questions and answers set all the time and it’s confirmed by the growing number of words needed to be translated in the source file, which grew by about 2000 since November/December. Are the previous translations of the chatbot updated as well?

With that aspect in mind, re-writing the code should allow more time and cost-efficient, continuous translation. So, re-writing the code grows into an even bigger problem with new urgency (for me). Maybe are there some technical teachers who would be able to help with it, as I know it requires even more time and effort, but I believe it is worth all the resources in the long run.

I’m also concerned about the future of the chatbot in the context of the recent hype around e.g. chat GPT… It is probable that it all goes to waste, as AI solutions are getting smarter and more available to everyone in all languages. That’s why I appreciate your willingness to look into AI solutions to experiment and again, in my opinion, you should be more focused on the technical development of the chatbot.

I’m also not entirely sure about the Ukrainian demand for a chatbot, as there are only 11 members of the unofficial community, including 3 people in that group who I know they’re not Ukrainians. I’m wondering why hadn’t you chosen the Russian language for this round of translation instead, as the Russian community is significantly bigger (1,2k people).

So for me, it is YES in the community pool.
NO for sustainability, the efficiency of the translation process and its current cost.

2 Likes

In general, on this point I can add that I personally have some plans to develop the Ukrainian community, so such a bot will be a pretty cool addition and will help introduce new people to The Graph.

About the russian group, at this stage I haven’t contacted them in any way, so there are no members among the DAO who can help manage this group.

But, I will take care of this issue and will be able to help with translation and further work on adding this bot to the russian chat and setting it up.

Hi Julianna,

Thank you for your kind words.

I am unsure what you mean by “you can’t see that it has changed”. Previously I would send the chatbot transcript and all the content that needs translation and the translators would sent it back so I can make all the changes. I planned to update this as I agreed it is not good for the continuous updates for the chatbot. So I did in-fact re-think the whole process and made a lot of improvements.

Please see the comments within this forum for these details however I will also provide these again for you:

Please visit the app and you will find at the bottom of ALL chatbots is a Translator Help Page button, within this page you will find the information regarding how advocates / community members can improve and contribute towards the continuous improvement of each chatbot. There are instructions provided on how to access the code via the open-source GitHub. How to create a pull-request to collaborate the code with others. There is also a link provided to the discussions forum on that Github regarding new content and translations where anyone can contribute if they don’t feel confident in making the pull-request. I will then add this myself. At the bottom of that page you will also find 2 buttons, 1 will download the chatbot content in Microsoft Word and the other in a Text file. These can be used for translations of new chatbots if and when required.
Link for GRTDataHub GitHub, GitHub - GRTDataHub/GRTDataHubDevelopment: GRTDataHub App for Data Anlaytics and Educational Chatbots built for The Graph Communities. 2 , please scroll down and read the README.md file for more context and instructions.

With regards to the continuous improvement of all chatbots, this is done within GitHub. I send out a message “announcement” of new content ready for translation. I add it to the code and comment it out as it hasn’t yet been checked and approved by a translator. I have seen that this hasn’t been done for a few bits “this is a new improvement of mine that is being trialed”, I have started updating it when I have over 200 words to translate rather than each and every time. So it doesn’t waist the time of translators / anyone wanting to update and contribute to the code. As it is all open-source.

I have already re wrote the code, however I am having a few issues with some minor bugs so I have not yet pushed these to the live app as it would stop it from working. Which I don’t want to do, as re writing the code has no effect whatever on the end user or the chatbots usage etc, however I have done it as per the old “suggestions” from the previous grant. However I do not see how the time taken for me to update the code, around 2-3 weeks so far, whilst hitting obstacles that I am now having to de-bug before I can push it to the live app. Will have any knock on effect to the translators? But, I have indeed made steps to resolve this questions of yours. :relaxed:

I am also in the process of re-vamping the theme, (UI and UX) of the app whilst I wait for the next section of translations to be sent through. (Translator had prior commitments to I didn’t want them to rush getting there to me as I don’t want to add any pressure). So I am also working to improve the app as a whole alongside improving the chatbot code (which for me is a slight wasted effort as the end result will be no different to how the chatbots currently operate).

I understand your concern about chatGDT however I will be looking to implement something similar in the near future. I disagree that it will all go to waste, that could be said for anything in the world to do with AI taking over. If we all stopped building then the ecosystem would not he continuously improved so I don’t see the logic there sorry.

The point of the chatbots are to help grow, guide, onboard and bring more people into The Graph ecosystem. Surely targeting the communities with proactive advocates / DAO members that are currently trying to bring in more users and create a tool to do so is the way compared to making a tool for a community that is already thriving? So I apologise but I once again disagree with you there, unless you only measure the success and usefulness of this tool on the number of users from that community visiting it. Which for me, should not be the only focus point here.

I am not going to take the time to explain the sustainability etc please could you scroll up and read these in a previous answer of mine. :relaxed:

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind Regards,

Liam

Thank you Liam, I’ve read all your answers before posting my previous comment and I checked your repository as well and I uphold my opinion.

Hi Julianna,

Unfortunately your response does not fill me with much happiness regarding your final vote. I am unsure how you can vote yes as a community member yet no as an advocate member unless you know something that a community member would not regarding the email exchange that we sent. So please let me take the time to clarity. :pray::relaxed:

I am unsure as to why you hold the opinion about how the translation process of the chatbot should look like and that you can’t see that it has changed the way you hoped and kind of expected after my last enthusiastic reaction to the Grant Committee’s suggestions.

I would like to point out that this was above and beyond the deliverables and they were suggestions that I did in fact act upon to the best of my abilities because I always want to produce the best content that I can for the users of GRTDataHub and help other GRT community members by doing this.

So I would love to be transparent with the community, I don’t like being called a liar. I do not want to stain the reputation that I have tried to hard to earn within the community and one that believe I have deserve and would like to hold to help future community members.

Please see below, screenshots between myself and the graph advocates committee (I believe it was you dealing with this email as you then asked me to post my response within the grant forum on the previous grant) regarding your comments from above. I would like to be open and transparent and I would like to highlight that you are free to have an opinion, this I do not have an issue with at all. :relaxed:

However, me saying that I have done something and people told that I have not does not sit well with me and I want to clarify this if possible. I will then point out the parts of the email that I believe I have improved and how you can find evidence of this.

• External contributors will be able to add languages and edit content

1a) Please visit the open-source GRTDataHub GitHub

and within the README.md file you will find instructions on how this can be done. The same instructions are also within the Translator Help Page

https://grtdatahub.com/ENGTranslatorHelp

at the bottom of each chatbot for the users ease. (For non devs who may not know what GitHub is).

• Cleaner code will allow others to fork and continue to develop the bot if you will not want to maintain it anymore.

2a) As a self proclaimed novice coded who does this as a hobby in the spare time that I have in the evenings around a full time job and busy family life. I have made my opinion know on this point. I do not believe it will benefit others by me doing this. Other devs will be able to fork this repo and make it better as I am not a high high level Dev. However, as you made this point clear I did in-fact go away and am in the process of refactoring and cleaning the code within the repo. This will have no effect to the chatbots or the user and has taken me a lot of extra time to do. I cannot personally see a time where I will not want to progress with the work I am doing here as I love it and it’s my hobby. I look forward to the evening where I can escapes and code. It is a passion for me and I love what it brings to the community, the friends I have made and the feeling of pride when I gain recognition for the hours of work and effort I put in.

For example:

https://t.co/rGimwvS2ES

• As the protocol develops, some of the answers may become outdated (Curation will be different on L2 Arbitrum etc). It would be great if technical teachers could submit pull requests with updates and corrections

3a) Please see 1) for the GitHub repo with pictures attached that will answer this question and the efforts I have made to ensure this will be as easy as possible for the user.

• The Graph already has multiple (unofficial) communities across many countries. It would be great to support all these languages in the app. If adding support for a new language would be as simple as translating a “language” file, advocates text-translators could handle this.

4a) Please see the “language” file that I embedding into the app at the bottom of each Translator Help Page, available in both Microsoft Word Document and Text File (for those unable to use the Microsoft app to access this.

5)Additionally, the Grant Committee added two more requirements for the opensource projects to go along with the opensource license, and these are:

• Read me file with instructions for anyone to take over
  • Contribution Guidelines on how to add any new language and with information on how to read the code.

5a) I believe by showing the above pictures with regards to the readme file and guidelines these have been met. Within my email I responded with the following:

Contribution Guidelines can also be found within the README.md file. As per the email you sent, I don’t currently deem this necessary for its own file however I can if that is the wish of the committee but the Translator Help Pages also have the information for this. I plan on making more comprehensive step-by-step guides in text and video format for non-coders who wish to create a Pull Request and do this their self rather than via the Discussions page on GitHub.

——

That is my explanation within the forum. However, if you or the others in the forum would like to read my email that I replied with. Then please do so as it also answers all the questions and with evidence given.

I will now attach attach my response to said email so that the points from above can be viewed as they were written. I hope this helps your opinion of the situation and adds clarity for the forum users that are reading the comments. I take a lot of time and care when speaking to people within the communities, ensuring I can help where possible and to the best of my ability. More often than not, totally out of the public communities where it is not seen. I would hate for people to think of me as a liar and that I do not produce the work that I work so hard to make sure is my 100% effort.

Please do not take this as a rant or me being argumentative as it is not intended in this way!! I whole heartedly apologise if any of the message sent here comes across that way.

Kind Regards,

Liam

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on 7th March at 10:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thank everyone for your attention!

3 Likes

Congratulations! The majority decision of the Grant Committee has concluded to recommend this proposal to the DAO.

In order to receive official approval from the DAO, a corresponding on-chain vote needs to be conducted on DAOHaus that will determine the DAO decision. A member of the Grant Committee will reach out to you via email with instructions on next steps in order to prepare for the on-chain funding proposal, which requires prior completion of KYC and consent to the Grant Agreement.

Thank you for all your effort to present a strong proposal aiming to grow The Graph and web3 ecosystem!

2 Likes

I hereby agree to this grant agreement of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope
    • Urdu, Hindi & Ukrainian community members about The Graph with the use of an automated chatbot.
  • Deliverables
    • Urdu Chatbot Official release for public use, before the end of March 2023.
    • Hindi Chatbot Official release for public use, before the end of March 2023.
    • Ukrainian Chatbot Official release for public use, before the end of May 2023.
    • All chatbots to be kept up to date till Jan 1st 2024, any new GRT news / features will be added within a 24-48 hour period (target) with documentation and tutorials if applicable.
  • Total Grant Amount
    • USD Value: 6000 USD
    • Token: GRT
    • Token Amount: 40816.33 GRT
  • Disbursement Schedule
    • Initial Funding: 40%
    • Upon Completion: 60%
  • Term Length
    • Start Date: January 2023
    • End Date: May 2023
  • Receiving ETH Address: 0x0B89DafB9cE7E519008eE51B0C764e0c9AC5e857

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon a successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain.

2 Likes

The Graph AdvocatesDAO has approved initial funding of this grant proposal! Thanks to all community members that have been engaged throughout this process and providing feedback.

To the grant recipient:

The DAO is looking forward to hearing about your success! Following completion of your grant, please write a confirmation post as a response to this thread. The more details you provide, the easier it will be for the DAO to initiate the final funding amount in a future on-chain proposal. Providing links, docs and images of your completed grant will also help the DAO determine how to best promote the labors of your hard work. Good luck!

For more information on how to withdraw your grant, please review the following documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.

1 Like

Thank you for the update! As of today this is the current status of the 3 new chatbots:

-Ukrainian is finishing Beta Testing TOMORROW!

Overall a very positive response from the beta testers, 1 said how great it will be for the community and for future GRT holders. Another mentioned his concerns that some of the tutorials are in English, however, after explaining to him that an advocate is actively translated these guides into Ukrainian he was very excited and is waiting in anticipation for those guides. These will be added and updates as soon as each one is finished.

-Urdu Chatbot, beta testing phase 1 has ended. 2nd round of beta testing is needed due to some small issues with language which are actively being rectified by our amazing advocate. The issues lie with English words being mixed within the Urdu text, something that we already discussed and we didn’t think to tackle it at the time. A learning curve for the both of us, however this will be rectified and the chatbot released for another round of testing before it is released for public use. This isn’t bad, this is the exact reason why I like to beta test each chatbot with community members before releasing them to the whole community.

-Hindi chatbot is in development and is 40% built. I will pause this development to fix the Urdu chatbot and then continue the work when it is released for beta testing again.

ChatbotV2 update is coming soon. All translators will be notified with more content to be translated and I will update all chatbots continuously. Then, I plan to build a new feature alongside keeping all Chatbots up to date. New feature to be revealed in the near-ish future!

I will provide another update within this forum when all the chatbots are build and deliverables met.

Kind Regards,

Liam | GRTDataHub

1 Like

Good Evening,

I am happy to say that I have finally finished the Ukrainian, Urdu and Hindi chatbots! :tada: the Urdu chatbot was a challenge especially due to the language ready right to left meaning the cursor logic was hard to work with but I got there in the end. All are now live within the app. I have also sent all the translators new content to translate and I will continue to do this. I am always adding new links etc from translated content as it is produced so this will not change. There are some translators doing amazing work within the ecosystem.

Thank you to everyone within this forum chat for their support and constructive criticism along the way. It pushes me to keep improving the app whilst helping communities along the way.

I have a new feature that I wish to share very soon but I am still figuring out how I will showcase it. Once I have that built them I will be able to show everyone. I really look forward to what the future brings and what I can bring to new and potential budding Graph Advocates.

www.GRTDataHub.com/UKRchatBot
www.GRTDataHub.com/URDchatBot
www.GRTDataHub.com/HINchatBot

Kind Regards,

Liam | GRTDataHub

1 Like

Congratulations! The final funding of your grant has been approved by the DAO. Thank you for contributing to the growth of The Graph and web3 ecosystem.

Now it’s time to focus on promoting your accomplishments! If you haven’t already done so, evaluate different ways to showcase your grant across different platforms, such as Twitter, the Graph Forum, Discord, Telegram or LinkedIn. Also feel free to reach out in the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server to seek help from others to promote your grant.

For information in how to getting paid for your grant, have a look at our official documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.