Grant Proposal: Ur-Hackathon 3.0

Grant ID: 85zruyx7z

Summary:

We’re hosting a web3 hackathon in Bengaluru on May 20th and would love to have a The Graph track. We are not looking for any Monetary support from you, we’re just looking to offer an The Graph Track Prize in our hackathon, where you can directly reward the prize money to the participants who built amazing projects using The Graph. But don’t worry, you don’t have to pay out the full prize money - just award it to the best projects built on The Graph.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
$0

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Get more projects to The Graph.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
We had already conducted 2 blockchain Hackathons successfully.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
We believe in The Graph Protocol for its ability to make data accessible quickly and seamlessly through public and open APIs, enabling developers to build subgraphs for various dApps and improving data querying, indexing, and collection.

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote (Closes on April 26)

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Greetings! Thank you for your proposal and for taking the time to fill out the application. While reading through it, I did have a few points of concern, hopefully we can resolve them.

1/ Is it possible to get some links, attachments, websites. That would want to roughly understand the situation and what it all presents. As a lot of questions, such as who will be the speaker, what projects will be there, what is the goal of the hackathon. You also wrote that you have held before these two hackathons, it would be nice to know more about it.

2/ I do not quite understand the role of The Graph here. You are asking for $0 to run this hackathon, but you are asking for money exactly for prizes. Then how will the projects be judged, what value will they provide to The Graph?

3/ I’d say the proposal as a whole looks pretty raw and unclear at this stage, I hope we can resolve this issue as best for both sides!

Well thank you!!! And good luck!

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for your application,
In addition of Doxe questions I would like to know:
1.- Information about the hackathon
2.- Categories/tracks and prizes
3.- Projects and sponsors you already has.
4.- Number of hackers you expect
5.- Number of submission you expect
6.- What type of hackathon are you organizing (online, in person)
7.- Experience of the team in organize hackathons
8.- Rules of hackathon
9.- In addition to the track there will be workshops or presentation at hackathon?
10.- If we support the hackathon, we should include judges and mentors. Could you confirm this point?
I am waiting for your answer.
thank you

Hey @doxe01.eth,
Thank you for those Questions.

1. Responses for the First Question:
    a. Website: https://web3forall.super.site/
    b. Ur-Hackathon 3.0 Deck: Ur-Hackathon 3.0
    c. As this is a Hackathon, we would like to request a Technical Workshop from The Graph. The speaker must be a Developer who can provide clear explanations about The Graph.
    d. This is a complete Web3 Hackathon with the sole aim of educating the participants and assisting them in creating excellent web3 projects.
    e. Yes, we have previously conducted two mini Hackathons (Since the form only allows new users to add a maximum of two links, I cannot include them here. However, you can access the information for the two hackathons on our website using the link I previously provided.).

2. Responses for the Second Question:
    a. This is not solely a The Graph Hackathon. We will include The Graph track in our Hackathon and add it to our Sponsors Directory. We will also provide a Workshop slot for The Graph without any monetary obligation.
    b. We require The Graph Track Prize to be at least $1000 in our hackathon. You can directly award the prize money to the participants who have built amazing projects using The Graph. Don’t worry, you don’t have to pay out the full prize money, just award it to the best projects created on The Graph.
    c. After the Hackathon concludes, we will share with you all the eligible projects that have used The Graph. You can then check these and send us the winners to be announced in 2-3 weeks.
    d. The goal is to attract more quality projects to The Graph Ecosystem.

If you have any further queries, please let me know.

thank you,
Shivkra

1 Like

Hey @Lorena,
Thank you for those additional Questions.

1. The details for Ur-Hackathon 3.0 can be found here: Ur-Hackathon 3.0 Deck
  2. The hackathon has three categories: Platinum (Chargeable), Gold (Chargeable), and Silver, with a minimum prize of $1000.
  3. Shardeum, Solana, Aptos (We came up with this hackathon last week & we plan to update all sponsors in the coming weeks).
  4. Ur-Hackathon 3.0 is a hybrid event, with 150 participants attending offline.
  5. The Ur-Hackathon 3.0 expects to receive 50 high-quality projects.
  6. Ur-Hackathon 3.0 is a hybrid event, combining both online and offline participation.
  7. Our team consists of full-time Web3 developers, graphic designers, and content creators. We have successfully conducted numerous College/Community events in the past.
  8. Most of the necessary details regarding the hackathon can be found in the provided deck. If you have specific questions about the rules, feel free to ask and we’ll provide answers.
  9. We will provide an Online Workshop slot for The Graph
  10. Yes, we will update our hackathon website with info about The Graph judges and mentors.

thank you,
Shivkra

Hello @Shivkra,
Thanks for the answer
1.- Do you have a website?
2.- Could you share number of tracks and what include each track?. No categories of prizes.
3.- ok
4.- ok
5.- according to the deck 200 attendies. 50 projects represent 25% of the attendies. Looks like a very good performance.
6.- ok
7.- How many people are part of the team?
8.- There are no rules in the deck. Please share the rules of the hackathon.
9.- The special session will be for about 2 hs. for all the hackathon.The workshop has been included in this special sessions?
10.- ok

Hey @Lorena
Thank you for more questions.

1. Website: https://web3forall.super.site/
  2. We have simplified the process with only 9 tracks and a minimum track prize of $1000.
  3. :slightly_smiling_face:
  4. :slightly_smiling_face:
  5. As a Hybrid Hackathon, it’s quite common to see 50 good projects.
  6. :slightly_smiling_face:
  7. Our team consists of 6 core members and 10+ volunteers.
  8. You can find the rules for the hackathon at https://hack2skill.com/tnc
  9. Yes, the workshop will be included in the two-hour time frame.
  10. :slightly_smiling_face:

thank you,
Shivkra

Hi, thanks for the answers.
I still need you confirm the tracks, what include each track?
infrastracture, smart contract, nft? please give us some information.
thanks

Hey @Lorena

At our hackathon, participants have complete freedom to work on any project they desire without any restrictions. They can choose to build any web3 project that interests them, with the support of our sponsor Stacks.

thank you,
Shivkra

Hey @doxe01.eth & @Lorena,

We are announcing our Hackathon this weekend. I kindly request that you move quickly on voting so that we can finalize our plans and make this event a success.

thank you,
Shivkra

Alas, at this stage, there are still not enough votes to make a decision + also you need to understand that after the community vote, you need to present your grant, pass a vote from the Grant Committee, then pass KYC, after which only the DAO proposal will be created, which must be voted on by a majority of the DAO members.

Thank you @doxe01.eth, understood.

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on April 18 at 18:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thank everyone for your attention!

1 Like

Hey @Shivkra,

I have a few follow-up questions:

1. How do you plan to market and promote the hackathon to ensure a good turnout?

2. Can you provide any testimonials or feedback from your previous hackathons? If possible, please share them on the forum thread for greater visibility and community engagement.

3. How will the online and offline aspects of the hybrid hackathon be managed?

4. Are there any specific themes or focus areas within web3 for this hackathon?

5. Can you share any success stories or notable projects from your previous hackathons?

6. How do you plan to ensure the hackathon is accessible and inclusive for all participants?

7. What are the criteria for selecting the winning projects for each category/track?

8. What kind of support will be provided to participants during the hackathon, such as mentorship, resources, and tools?

9. Will there be any follow-up or post-hackathon support for the projects created during the event?

10. How do you plan to measure the impact and success of the hackathon?

Thank you, @Lorena, @doxe01.eth, and Shikra, for your valuable questions and detailed responses. Your insights help to better understand the hackathon proposal and its potential impact on The Graph and the broader web3 ecosystem.

1 Like

Hey @Colson,
Thank you for those additional Questions.

1. Our marketing efforts will primarily focus on social media, and we will also leverage our connections with over 10 colleges/universities & 30+ communities to promote the event.
  2. Certainly, you can locate the testimonials or feedback from your prior hackathons towards the bottom of our Hackathon pages. I have included them below for your reference:
    a. Ur-Hackathon 1.0: https://ur-web-hackathon.devfolio.co/
    b. Ur-Hackathon 2.0: https://ur-hackathon-2.devfolio.co/
  3. We’ll be present at the offline venue, but we’ll also be managing our online participants via our Discord server.
  4. Our Hackathon participants have complete freedom to work on any project they desire without any restrictions. They can choose to build any web3 project that interests them, with the support of our sponsor Stacks.
  5. Yes, you can find them in the Projects section of our Hackathon pages. I have included them below for your reference:
    a. Ur-Hackathon 1.0: https://ur-web-hackathon.devfolio.co/
    b. Ur-Hackathon 2.0: https://ur-hackathon-2.devfolio.co/
  6. Devfolio is the platform we’ve selected for our hackathon, which is popular among web3 developers, and since it’s a hybrid event, participants who can’t be present at the offline venue can participate from their own location.
  7. Each track sponsor selects the winners for their specific track. After the Hackathon concludes, we will share with you all the eligible projects that have used The Graph. You can then check these and send us the winners to be announced in 2-3 weeks.
  8. We provides every kind of assistance needed by our Hackathon participants.
  9. Yes
  10. We determine our hackathon’s success by the number of high-quality projects developed.

thank you,
Shivkra

I support this so long as the DAO has someone in place ready to receive/review hackathon submissions. Just so we can avoid something getting “stuck” in the pipeline if there’s no process for it.

4 Likes

I agree with @BrainFried.
Supporting developers in building subgraphs is one of the most important things we should do.
I vote yes, but it shouldn’t be passed until we are ready to form well-rounded support in the developer and technical part.

3 Likes

Hey Everyone,

Prior to the voting deadline, I must disclose that due to the engineering semester exams on May, we received multiple requests from participants to reschedule the hackathon. As a result, we have decided to hold it in July 15-16.

thank you

1 Like

The majority decision of the Grant Committee concludes to not recommend this proposal for DAO funding. Please recognize that this is not a statement on the proposal itself, but rather an aggregated reflection by committee members taking into account a number of factors, such as alignment to The Graph and web3 ecosystem, budget available to support grants and prioritization relative to other proposed grants.

Below you find brief feedback brought up within the committee to not recommend DAO funding that may help you to submit successful grant applications in the future:

At this stage, the DAO will not be able to provide quality support for this event from a variety of different sides. No people have been provided to help with the event, to check the entries or to organize the technical part of the event and the distribution of the prizes.

Thank you for submitting this proposal, and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger support from the committee.

Sincerely,
Graph AdvocatesDAO