Grant Proposal: The Graph University Blockchain Club

Grant ID: 3883kbg

Summary:

We shall look up development, creation of content, education through awareness by hosting meetups both online and offline, thus advancing Blockchain education and addressing the current traditional challenges on the Internet with envisioning of the Blockchain in particular the Graph Network with it’s unique features and solution for querying data on the emerging Web3 technologies and Blockchain data very fast and more secure, thus growing and initiating Web3 communities organically bringing adoption within the Universities by targeting developer students to learn and Build on the Web3, create sub graphs, securing the graph network through delegation, and among others

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Long-term (continuous)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Delegators

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Have you received funding from somewhere else?:
No

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
To Motivate students to take an active role in the Web3 revolution and develop or build on the Graph network.
To grow the Web3 communities organically and bring more active particaption and amplify the Graph Network ecosystem through onboarding more advocates, onboarding more developers to the grants program, learning about the Graph through more news letter subscriptions, invitations to Discords etc.
To bring more application,adoption and development of subgraphs with various Dapps.
To guide and bring more delegators to secure the network through staking their GRT tokens to indexers.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
I have hosted community meetups in my region, activated Web3 communities in some local Universities,head of Education Blockchain Club of Uganda,created infographics and content.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Link to some events i have hosted and co-organized
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17Cs3_Zngg5HAa0rLbOzFkFO63SCL5-kf

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
Teach students the complex nature of blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies, without bias ( most students have fallen victims of crypto scams due to lack of awareness about legitimate of the projects )
To introduce The Graph to some of the existing Web3 Communities in my region on how its transforming, organizing, and sharing all worlds public information across applications for anyone in a fast and secure way.
To motivate and onboard more Web2 developers start building on the Web3.

Community Poll

Do you support this grant application?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote (closes on Sep 25)

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Greetings! Thanks for applying for a Community Grant. I have a few questions about your application:

1. How many events have you held in the past and do you have any resources, agendas, digital flyers, etc. that show more specific detail on what presentations were provided?

2. How many total participants were at these events?

3. Have you built any Subgraphs? If so, please share the link to them.

4. You mention exposing more folks to The Graph through more newsletter subscriptions and invitations to Discord. Are you referencing your own newsletter and Discord channel or The Graph’s?

5. You mention introducing The Graph to some of the existing Web3 communities in your region. Can you please share details about those communities (names, websites, discord, etc.) and how exactly you’d introduce The Graph protocol to them?

6. Can you please give a detailed breakdown of how the $6,500 would be used?

Thank you! Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks for your questions i have hosted and co hosted over 10 Community events in my region and regarding the the resources have the flyers, we have hosted meetups for both levels of Knowledge and general audience ie Blockchain enthusiasts, beginners, Web2.0 developers, University students etc. with different topics including The Evolution of the internet, NFT storage and Usecases, Building on the Blockchain, Smartcontracts, Deep dive on IPFS, Libp2p, Decentralized Data storage etc
2. We have a range of 40 to 70 attendees for Local community events and Over 100 attendees for some of the Events hosted at Universities
3.We have not built yet any Subgraphs
4.Shall be inviting more folks get exposed to Graph Discord channel, Newsletter, Forum for more learning resources and connecting with other active community members for more technical support from the Engineering team, attend developer office hours etc
5. Regarding the existing Local Web3 communities, projects and Companies like Crypto Bootcamp Community, Blockchain Club Of Uganda, BlockBunch, Skill Haven, Chainlink community , Near Community among others since these communities always have events occasionally so we would collaborate and co-host or speak at their Events and introduce the Graph Protocol to their community members
6. Break Down for 6500$ how it would used for hosting a minimum of 4 in person events with over 80 attendees each

Venue costs $1200
Food and Drinks $2400
Merchandise/Shirts $1200
Equipment Hiring Projector./Pa. $500
Event Banners $300
Coverage $700
Transport. $200

2 Likes

Thanks for your responses Brian! I really appreciate all the detail.

A few follow up questions:

• You mention that this grant will benefit Subgraph Developers and that the courses would “bring more application, adoption, and development of subgraphs with dApps”. Can you share how you would provide that type of education and increased engagement without any experience building Subgraphs?
  • Are the costs for each line item in your budget break down based on quotes you’ve received from vendors, prices you’d paid at prior events, or just an estimate?
  • Would the Merchandise/Shirts be branded with the Graph logo(s) or with your own branding?

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thanks for your Questions, regarding the interested developers shall provide them with learning resources, refer them to the Graph academy, and once in a while we would invite and arrange remote calls with some of the Core developers from the protocol development to join and answer some of the more technical events in addition to that having referred to them to the relevant Discord channels for the Graph protocol and find teams or stage chats on the channels
And to keep the community engaging we plan to identify and energize these communities in various activities like create relevant infographics by students doing Designing and Graphics, developers creating their own working groups etc thus growing the Graph local community, through these activities encouraging students and members around to get involved thus a community growth for Web3 space.
2. Regarding the costs in the budget line, these are costs for the facilitating our planned inperson events and these are the prices i have paid at prior events, and sometimes we shall be using the University Auditorium that are slightly affordable than Conference halls at hotels etc
3.Yes the merchandise would be branded with the Graph logos including the Stickers, shirts and the Banners with information about the Graph protocol. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thanks for answering my questions Brian! I really appreciate it. The Grants Committee is continuing to review all Community Grants applications and if we have any further questions we’ll post them here. .

In the meantime, I’d recommend engaging with The Graph community on Discord to generate more participation in this grant application’s Community Poll.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out!

1 Like

After the committee presentation I was left wondering about the ability to measure success of this proposal given the broad scope. It was also evident that the presenters did not have any Graph-specific developer expertise in areas such as Indexer-ops or subgraph development. That leaves me with little confidence that technical goals of this proposal can actually be delivered, such as:

Much of the non-technical related items are typically within scope of the Web3 Welcomer and Event Evangelist roles of the Advocates program. My recommendation would therefore be to consider applying for that program or, alternatively, submit a revised grant proposal with a clearer definition of the scope and with greater focus on actual deliverables.

2 Likes

The majority decision of the Grant Committee concludes to not recommend this proposal for DAO funding. Please recognize that this is not a statement on the proposal itself, but rather an aggregated reflection by committee members taking into account a number of factors, such as alignment to The Graph and web3 ecosystem, budget available to support grants and prioritization relative to other proposed grants.

Above I have already provided feedback that may help you to submit successful grant applications in the future. Thank you for submitting this proposal and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger support from the committee.