Grant Proposal: The Graph Monthly Financial Reporting

Grant ID: 86696pq1p

Summary:

Provide Monthly Reports about the Financial State of the Graph DAO. The reports would include : Governance, Revenues, Expenses, Treasury Analysis, Competition Analysis, Macro Trends Analysis …

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Long-term (continuous)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Other

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
12k USD for 12 Monthly Reports (1k USD per Monthly Report)

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
Asymmetric Defi is both a Uniswap & Aave grantee for work related to their protocols.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
The reports will be similar to financial reports produced by traditional companies for their investors. The reports will be the go to for the community to get informed. They don’t need to look up many dashboards or follow the forum daily to stay up to date with what’s happening with the protocol. All relevant metrics will be aggregated, commented in one report and shared on the forum.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
Here is the report I produced for Uniswap for November : Uniswap Monthly Financial Report - Nov 22 - by adalhi

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Joind Crypto in 2017, started contributing to web3 in early 2022.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
The transparency nature of web3.

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hello,

Thank you for submitting your community grant application! After reviewing your submission, I have a few follow up questions for you. Please be as detailed as possible in your responses:

• Can you please provide a detailed breakdown of your budget ($12k)
  • Can you define which specific metrics you would be covering for The Graph in these financial reports?
  • I read the Uniswap example you provided (thanks for sharing that) and am wondering if you’d be open to developing a more bite sized / digestible version of these reports? This is just my personal opinion, but I feel like the level of density shown in the Uniswap example will likely be too much to engage with most community members.

Thanks again for applying! Looking forward to your responses.

2 Likes

Hey Mr.1776

• For the budget, 1k USD per monthly report as compensation for my time & efforts and to pay for any potential subscriptions (Token Terminal costs 350 USD / Month and Dune’s most popular plan costs 420 USD / Month for example).
  • The Metrics I will be analyzing are :
    - Governance : Overview of the monthly governnance votes & their potential impact on the protocol.
    - Revenues to GRT Holders : The share of fees that goes into GRT burns.
    - Revenues to Indexers, Curators and Delegators.
    - GRT Emissions.
    - Community Treasury : Any expenses voted on and paid from the community treasury. Any Potential revenues as well …
    - GRT Token : Circulating supply, Delegated supply …
    - Protocol Metrics : The number of indexers, curators, delegators and subgraphs.

Any metrics that the community deems relevant can be added, subject to data availability.

• Yes the Uniswap report for November was long as it was my initial coverage for the protocol. The next editions will be much lighter!
1 Like

Thanks for your responses! That answers all of my questions.

In the meantime, I would recommend connecting with the community to cultivate more engagement and receive the votes required to move your application to the next stage of review (community presentation).

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

1 Like

Other details :
Messari is currently doing these same reports as part of their grant from the Graph Foundation. So why fund this grant ?

• These reports will be monthly vs Messari are quarterly.
  • Messari’s reports are produced for their site and the link is shared with the community. My reports will be produced by a community memeber for the graph community.
  • Sharing with the community different perspectives about the graph state.
  • Messari’s reports focus on distribution thus the language is adapted as such. My reports will have GRT holders (or potential holders) as the main audience. Similar to traditional financial statements where investors are the main target audience!
  • The cost of this grant is very small (1k USD/Report) compared to what Messari usually charges (25k-30k/report).
  • I will be available to answer community questions regarding the graph financials on the forum. Just tag me!
  • Since this grant amount is small and part of Messari’s focus is distribution, this grant could be approved alongside Messari.

With that said, I like Messari reports and having them as part of the graph community is a great addition!

More details :
Instead of monthly reports, I can make quarterly reports to decrease the costs for the DAO. The funding request is the same 1k USD (in GRT) per report.
Also, I can accept funding for one quarterly report as test run before a longer period engagement.

Hi Adalhi, I have 2 views on this proposal.

Firstly from a data analytics perspective this really interests me and I believe the community would be really interest in reading these reports. But to caveat that, not everyone is that interested in the data analytics unfortunately.

I see that almost half of the $ from the grant per report / month will be spent on Dune / other data analytics sites for you to gain the access to the data. I believe you can do this for free via the follow Subgraphs.

Main data:

Analytics:

Billing:
https://api.thegraph.com/subgraphs/name/graphprotocol/billing

This would reduce this grant by 1/2 rather than using the data 2nd hand. Along with using other existing dashboards made by the community already.

https://thegraph.stake-machine.com/?orgId=1&refresh=5m

And The Graph Explorer to just name a few.

Maybe explore the avenue of collating all the data and analytics without an expenditure which would bring the grant amount down significantly and then working out the time it would take to produce the data analytics reports and ask about in the community to gain a following for the votes on this proposal.

I believe it is a good idea as I have previously really liked The Graphtronauts “The Graph News” analytics section and the current Graph Advocates Newsletter which does cover a lot of the analytics you mention along with the GRTDataHub Daily Statistics updates across social media and multiple communities channels.

However, maybe a report could be produced and showcased within a community talk to boost the idea and create awareness of what it could become?

If this grant is successful and you would like somewhere to host the reports. Either it be via video or text. I will be more than happy to collaborate and host them within GRTDataHub for the community to access.

Thank you for the links GRTDataHub!

The costs mentioned are just for example, in case a subscription is needed. Plus, they will be shared among all Asymmetric Defi partners as these reports are produced for other communities as well.

To bring the costs down, as suggested, these reports could be produced quarterly. ie 4k USD per year for 4 quarterly reports.

I am open to receiving Funding for 1 monthly or quarterly report as test run. If the results are satisfactory, the grant can be extended!

As for a potential collaboration, we can talk about that if the grant is approved by the community.

Unfortunately, this grant proposal did not generate the level of support in the community to move it to the next phase of the grant application process.

Thank you for submitting this proposal and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger community support.

Best Regards,
Graph AdvocatesDAO