Grant Proposal: The Graph Educational Video Encyclopedia on YouTube - Phase 1

Grant ID: 862jp8n7n

Summary:

YouTube is one of the major platform for web3 developers who want to learn about the technology. The Graph doesn’t have a good presence on YouTube to catch these developers. Even though there is some educational material on YouTube, it doesn’t have good audience as expected.

We would like to create quality The Graph educational content on YouTube and advertise it to the target audience. We propose creating following tutorial series on YouTube :

• Creation of Subgraph Tutorial Series : Create a subgraph or use existing subgraphs in a dapp
  • Node Operation Tutorial Series : Operate a node to index data and serve queries
  • The Graph Curator Tutorial Series : Organize data by signaling on subgraphs
  • The Graph Delegator Tutorial Series : Secure the network by delegating GRT to Indexers

Each tutorial series creation will be divided into two different parts : 1. Creation & Launch of series; 2. PR campaigns & advertising.
Each tutorial series will consist of 10-12 videos, each 8-12 minutes long.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

If available, please enter a link to your project below:
https://www.youtube.com/@CodeXpert

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Curators, Delegators, Indexers, Subgraph Developers

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
Milestones :

• Creation of Subgraph Tutorial Series : $800

• Creation of Subgraph Tutorial Series PR Campaign : $1200 (Tutorial Series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day)
    )

• Node Operation Tutorial Series : $800

• Node Operation Tutorial Series : $$1200 (Tutorial Series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day)
    )

• The Graph Curator Tutorial Series : $800

• The Graph Curator Tutorial Series PR Campaign : $1200 (Tutorial Series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day)

• The Graph Delegator Tutorial Series : $800

• The Graph Delegator Tutorial Series PR Campaign : $1200 (Tutorial Series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day)

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
Yes

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:

• Tron Foundation : $5000

• Flow Blockchain : $4500

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:

• At the end of this project we expect at least 75K-80K unique targeted developer audience.
  • From which at least 4000-6000 (5%-7%) will be regular Flow content viewers and developers.
  • YouTube web3 channels have growing audience which will keep impacting Flow ecosystem in the future as well.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:

• Tron Foundation :
    We were official community developers for Tron blockchain from 2018-2020 and received the grant of $5000 from the Tron accelerator program. In that period, we created the following tutorial series for Tron which is still the most popular educational source for Tron developers on YouTube with a like/dislike rate of around 96%.

• Flow Blockchain :
    We have been in partnership with Flow blockchain since the start of 2023 and have received over $4500 in grants till now. Currently we are working in close cooperation with the Flow team to create multiple tutorial series.

• Polygon
    We are in partnership with Polygon as well but the details can not be disclosed at this moment.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Working in blockchain industry since 2016, we are involved in various different projects and have worked in sectors ranging from education, gaming to marketstore. Our team has expertise in various blockchain protocols.

CodeXpert YouTube project evolved with the mission of propogating blockchain awareness and skills in developer community. Until July 2022, the project has more than 210 informative/tutorial videos and more than 400K views. The videos cover tutorials on various blockchains such as Ethereum, Polygon, Optimism, EOS, IOTA, Tron etc. This project resonates with our mission of helping create a decentralized world. The project has receved a great deal of appreciation from blockchain developer community.

For more info, please visit : https://thecodexpert.org/

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
The graph has provided a unique solution in web3 with it’s indexing protocol. YouTube is one of the major platform for web3 developers who want to learn about the technology. The Graph doesn’t have a good presence on YouTube to catch these developers. Even though there is some Flow educational material on YouTube, it doesn’t have good audience as expected.

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hello!

Thank you for submitting your proposal for creating educational content about The Graph on YouTube.

I understand the importance of education and the need for high-quality content to help developers, and other ecosystem participants, learn about The Graph and its various components. However, a lot of the topics your proposed have already been covered:

1. Curation guide by datanexus: What Is A Curator For The Graph - YouTube
  2. Delegation guide by Graph Academy: Delegating GRT Tokens [Tutorial] - YouTube
  3. Subgraph guides by Simon for Edge&Node: Deploy a smart contract on Base Testnet and develop a subgraph that indexes it - YouTube
  4. Indexing 101 course: Grant Proposal: Indexing 101

While I appreciate the time and effort you have put into the proposal, I believe funds should not be allocated to marketing. I would encourage grants that focus on organic growth.

I would be open to considering proposals that identify gaps in the current educational content or address specific needs within the community.

I do not feel like this proposal would support and grow The Graph community significantly enough for me to vote yes on allocating $8000 of funds. I will therefore, in it’s current form, vote no on this proposal.

2 Likes

@Colson,

Thanks for your quick response. As I can see from the links you have provided, there are very short tutorials. When I say “Creation of Subgraph Tutorial Series”, it means it will have at least 8-12 videos of 8-12 minutes length each. It will cover following topics :

• Building Subgraphs on Base
  • Migrating an Existing Subgraph to The Graph Network
  • Quick and Easy Subgraph Debugging Using Forks
  • Building Subgraphs on NEAR
  • Building Subgraphs on Cosmos
  • Building Subgraphs on Arweave
  • Replace a Contract and Keep its History With Grafting
  • Safe Subgraph Code Generator

For next tutorial series, I can make it more compact by combining Graph Curator Tutorial Series, Node Operation Tutorial Series & The Graph Delegator Tutorial Series into one. And also create some other useful tutorial series instead.

As for the amount, we can discuss that as well. I can reduce tutorial series creation fees, since I am not looking for the profit here. My main goal is to create quality content for my viewers.

Please let me know if I should upload revamped proposal again. Looking forward to it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, thanks for your application.
In addition of the Colson questions I would like to know:

1.- Explain the metrics and views that you mention.
2.- The webpage has not any social media link. The twitter https://twitter.com/ThisIsCodeXpert has few followers and is not so active. How you interact with the ecosystem and audience?
3.- Could you explain PR campaign?
4.- You applied as an individual. Are you advocate?

Hi @Lorena ,

Thanks for the comments.

1.- Explain the metrics and views that you mention.
→ I suppose you mean ’ 5%-7% regular content viewers’. That is a general matrix on any YouTube video series.

2.- The webpage has not any social media link. The twitter https://twitter.com/ThisIsCodeXpert has few followers and is not so active. How you interact with the ecosystem and audience?
→ Yes, twitter has few followers, since our main focus is on YouTube.

3.- Could you explain PR campaign?
→ PR campaign is mostly related with advertising through various sources, such as YouTube ads, Facebook ads, etc. Our experience is that when you run such PR campaigns till 25-30K views, it reaches at the top place in the search index. You can search YouTube as well as Google with ‘flow nft tutorial’ or ‘flow dapp tutorial’ or ‘flow nft dapp’ or ‘flow nft dapp tutorial’ or similar phrases and you will see that now our tutorial series has been at the top of the search results (Or at least in the first 5 results depending upon the region and user YouTube history).

4.- You applied as an individual. Are you advocate?
→ I suppose you mean The Graph advocate? in that case, the answer is No! Please correct me if I misunderstood it!

Thanks. Please let me know if you need more clarification! :slight_smile:

Hi for the answers:
Related with your answers:
1.- I would like to understand the metrics and unique viewers data you put in the proposal. The videos you have on youtube have different numbers than the ones proposed.
2.- Is Youtube the only channel that you contact with your audience?
3.- So, the views are only a consequence of PR campaigns?
4.- Yes thanks.

Hi @Lorena
Thanks for the comments.

1.- I would like to understand the metrics and unique viewers data you put in the proposal. The videos you have on youtube have different numbers than the ones proposed.
→ We are currently in partnership with Flow foundation. Here are the tutorial series we have developed recently :

We only advertise first video of every series. All other views are organic. (Around 3K-4K views are organic in first video as well.)

You can see that all of the above video series have cumulative 25k-30k views.

Please note that these are recent video series and we are still getting organic views daily.

2.- Is Youtube the only channel that you contact with your audience?
→ We advertise as well as we have some partners as well where we get organic views. One of the major one is dapp-world[dot]com. We have some partners in colleges as well, where we organise some events in blockchain space.

3.- So, the views are only a consequence of PR campaigns?
→ Answered above.

4.- Yes thanks.
→ My pleasure! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, this grant proposal did not generate the level of support in the community to move it to the next phase of the grant application process.

Thank you for submitting this proposal and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger community support.

Best Regards,
Graph AdvocatesDAO