Grant Proposal: Retroactive event analysis using POAP

Grant ID: 8686nent6

Summary:

What can we learn about POAP holders?

A little bit of intro, I love to create and collect POAPs. Sitting in the opening ceremony of ETHGlobal Istanbul, showcasing all the past events. I thought about how interesting, would it be to retroactively check all the POAP holders that have been minting POAP’s over the past Graph events - to display and understand how they interact with The Graph, when was their first time to receive GRT? Are they indexing? Have they signed in at least once to The Graph studio? And many more questions that you could answer with public on-chain information in combination with off-chain data.

First of all, What is POAP and what are POAPs, for those unfamiliar with the concept?

POAP is an acronym for Proof of Attendance Protocol. It is a way of creating and collecting digital souvenirs that show you were part of an event, either online or offline. POAPs are NFTs that follow a standard format and protocol and are minted on the POAP smart contracts. Each POAP has a unique serial number and a timestamp that links it to a specific event. You can scan a QR code or a Card with NFC at the event to claim your POAP, and then trade or transfer it as you wish. POAPs are more than just mementos, they are also a way of building relationships, communities and stories around events.

The Graph & The Graph Advocate DAO created over the year 2023 a bunch of POAPs, so other Protocols and ecosystems.

Now it would be interesting to have a look at all the receivers of POAPs created for events and hackathons sponsored by The Graph.

Because we could learn so much from the data that we could receive.
Those could help quantify onboarding costs and onboarding time to the ecosystem, and the success of sponsoring events.

Some cool metrics to find out is, how many event attendance would be needed until a POAP collector deploys a Graph. And many more questions could be answered like this.

Now let us take reality into account, we would identify POAP holders by wallet address, in this analysis, wallets would be missed if people use a different wallet to collect POAPs and have an extra wallet for ecosystem-specific interactions. That is a huge blind spot and a not covered area but often we could find those relations between wallets by looking at more transactions. By looking at interactions further than POAP holders, maybe we find interactions over gas transfers or bridging activity.

That would need massive data pools to even get started. That’s where The Graphs technology comes in handy. By utilizing substreams.

I would like to build this analysis exclusively for The Graph and later I envision building this as a product/service for different protocols to use.

The first Goal would be, to look at how many POAPs were created that have something to do with an event, hackathon sponsoring and more. And looking through all the POAP collectors to see how many Ethereum wallets we are looking at in total. To then decide if this is feasible to go further. There is no reason for this effort to only check 100 unique wallets.

Then there would be the step of collecting the off-chain data, like The Graph Studio signups. Then the first aggregation and comparison results would be available, with the result. Deciding if to dig deeper.

Up on deciding to continue, the process would be building the custom indexer using substreams. To then engineer the detailed metrics.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
Analyse POAP holders with Substream.

How far along are you?:
early stage. research, looking for grants.

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
I worked for 3 years in Data Analysis and engineering in an eCommerce Company, understanding customers is key in the modern ways of marketing. And creating insights out of seemingly uninteresting data is what drives the advantage.

This would be The tool for DevRels and Event organisers. There is a lot of money in web3 used for marketing and events, without a clear insight into how events perform. Or to understand where users are onboarded successfully and not.

I have done on-chain analytics before, here is an example:
https://dune.com/talentlayer/dashboard

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
poap.family exists (POAP Family)

it makes it easy to look into POAPs drops and understand who has collected x amount of POAPs.

Then there is Dune Analytics. It’s a generalized tool to create on-chain analytics, so there are missing capabilities. And this is more addressed to developers.

My goal is to build a product that is custom-tailored to each protocol and ecosystem wanting the insights. Where any SaaS product is not specific enough.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Firstly it will make web3 somewhat more predictable helping get insights that would be missing by now. And helps to quantify spending across events and developer onboarding costs. Thus it’s an important piece to start optimising events. And The Graph will be the first one to receive such research.

Long-term gets interesting because this method here described just works until we can’t correlate transactions to NFT mints any more. That means we need to find new, even privacy-preserving ways of understanding customers. This will challenge it and help as a product to be leading with this, by engineering it on our own. With the same or even better results.

How will you measure success?:

• Net Promoter Score, going through customer surveys and understanding if they will recommend it to different ecosystems/protocols. In this case The Graph. if not it failed.

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:

1. it is feasible to continue when more than 1k different wallets have minted a Graph-related POAP, the first week
  2. getting off-chain data into the mix to check what this brings us, 1 week
  3. building the infra and the subgraph to analyse the full lengths of what is possible. 3 weeks

The first step may already be possible without the grant and the rest for sure.
I’m a full-time Freelancer, always contracted and involved in many different projects.
A grant would allow me a fixed commitment.

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
The first step would take ~10 hrs = 1.292USD of labor cost
2nd. ~10 hrs = 1.292USD of labor cost
3rd. ~50hrs = 6.461USD of labor

The rest is server operating and infra cost for the duration of this first analysis.
And budget to hire additional devs in different places out of my expertise.

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
I started working on TalentLayer’s first MVP and since then I have been onboarding users and protocols.
I am always around Hackathons and have won The Graph Bounties too.
And around as a Graph Advocate

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
my past has been in web2 analytics. And Joining web3 seeing so many use cases that just wait to find a web3 native solution. Just made commit fully to it. After my web2 position, I just started full-time freelancing in web3. To put out the most impact that I can.

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Dashboards & Analytics

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hi, I am the author of this proposal.
I need to mention the cost breakdown. Is off I had different versions of the breakdown and got mixed up.
I will provide an updated breakdown with more accuracy about the server and hosting costs.
Is there someone in the community that I could reach out to and get a hand on getting a solid estimate?

1 Like

I think @doxe01.eth can help you

Thank you for submitting your proposal. After a review of the content, this appears to be a < tooling > grant application and is therefore not within the scope of community grants that the Graph AdvocatesDAO oversees.

You can submit your proposal directly to the Graph Foundation following this link: The Graph: Grants Application. Good luck!