Grant Proposal: Learn Solidity - From zero to smart contract deployer

Grant ID: 85zrrr7zf

Summary:

A Solidity course that will teach you everything you need to know to get started with blockchain development. The course is designed for complete beginners, so you don’t need any prior coding experience to join. We’ll cover the fundamentals of Solidity, from data types and control structures to functions and inheritance

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
$500 to add a class into the course of how to build, deploy and query a subgraph

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
Yes

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
Crowdfunding in here: Learn Solidity - From zero to smart contract deployer | FundIt

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Will help new developers to know about The Graph and how to use it

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
Made web2 courses for the past 4 years and talked in a bunch of web3 conferences. If you want to check it out: https://courseit.io was my previous startup

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Founder @ FundIt
Ex solidity developer @ Exactly
Ex software developer @ OpenZeppelin
Used to contribute to Decentraland, OpenZeppelin and some other open source projects

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I think The Graph is almost mandatory when creating DApps. All new developers should know how to use it

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Thanks for submitting your grant proposal. I wonder what will be the peculiarity of this course since there are tons of learning materials about Solidity. Do you have a specific approach in developing content, or do you plan to introduce some new concepts, or what specifically?
Thanks for answering.

1 Like

Hello sir, thanks for submitting the proposal. I must say I like the idea and dream behind the proposal, but I will love to also get the answers to @pdiomede question before I know what to vote. Thanks.

1 Like

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to submit a grant!

I had some questions while reading the information you provided.

My main question is about access to the course, something like that. Here’s what you mentioned the $500 support account.

Class sponsorship [500 USDC]
One company or protocol per class. Your company logo and a mention will be made at the beginning of the class. Your protocol will also be mentioned in the thank you page as a supporter of this course

Get 5 free course tickets

I would like to know a little bit about the organization, how you plan to give access to people. Do you give us a code or something? Because there are numerous both DAO members and advocates, it is not clear who will get access and in what quantity.

The same question about the 5 free tickets.

And another question concerns the minimum knowledge of the participants. Can even relative beginners take part in the course? Is it necessary to have blockchain experience or at least web2 development experience?

2 Likes

Hi @pdiomede. There are some things that I will do that I didn´t found in other courses.

1. Dynamic solidity challenges. Something similar to this: 2023-03-13 11-16-51.mp4 on Vimeo but with solidity
  2. Learning with real world examples. The idea behind this grant is to show the consumers what the ecosystem is using right now. I think that this is super useful for the consumers and also the protocols
  3. From zero to smart contract deployer, all in one place. Yes there are a lot of content. But there isn’t a lot of content that start from absolute 0 and ends with the users deploying several smart contracts into different networks with the tools that the ecosystem is using in 2023.

If you have any other question, feel free to ask
Juani

1 Like

Hi @doxe01.eth.

A NFT is going to be sent to each address. In the case of this grant, if its approved, the 5 NFTs are going to be sent to the address where the funds are transferred and can be distributed in any way you want.

It is not necessary any coding experience but it is necessary some extremely basic crypto knowledge (for example in the course we don’t set up a wallet)

If you have any other question, feel free to ask
Juani

This seems like a great idea! I would 100% take this course and I know other that will also. There are free courses out there already, it seems like you are giving away “free course tickets”. So how much will the course cost to take for the consumer? And are they better than the already free, readily available ones. And how will your course benefit and target The Graph ecosystem where there other courses may not?

For example: Solidity — Solidity 0.8.19 documentation

Which is already available in:

Your Tier 2 and would be $4000 more, I would personally love to see Tier 3 and 4 prioritised over Tier 2 and maybe bring in some Graph Advocates to collaborate with the translation of this content if it is to benefit The Graph ecosystem.

And articles, tutorials, examples, learning games etc here:

Solidity is not new however I believe if you tailor it towards The Graph ecosystem then it would be better than the others in terms of what the users will get out of your course over the others. Which are all currently free and open-source.

I look forward to your answers and I love the idea! :relaxed:

Hi @GRTDataHub the course has a pre sale price (during the campaign) of 5 USDC and it will cost 10 USDC after launch. The idea behind not doing it free is because I’m planning to keep the course and challenges updated.

Regarding to your other question, what I will do is to target The graph’s ecosystem is:

• Create a special class for people to understand what is the graph, code and query a basic subgraph and show some examples or more complex subgraphs
  • Think some exercises and challenges to create some subgraphs and consume them in different ways (Dapp, server sync, special features for people to use graph-client)

Hi @JuaniGallo thanks for the time spent in providing answers. But to me I do not see a specific reason why we need to fund yet another Solidity course. Apart from being able to read a smart contract, we do not need a Solidity course tailored for The Graph.

I believe it will be way more interesting what you are quoting in your last reply. For example, a course about how to actually use The Graph, for example:

• how to read a subgraph
  • how to develop a subgraph
  • how to query The Graph from your application
  • tips and tricks

And one last note: if I understood correctly students needs to pay for a fee? This is not what we aim to achieve: we look forward to fund grants to further build and develop the Graph ecosystem, without requesting people to pay for a course.

What do you think? Thanks for answering.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this grant proposal did not generate the level of support in the community to move it to the next phase of the grant application process.

Thank you for submitting this proposal and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger community support.

Best Regards,
Graph AdvocatesDAO