Grant ID: 8684urf3q
Registration Phase → Building Phase → Online Judging → Offline Pitching and Judging
- The Registration Phase will include the interested participants to register themselves on Devfolio. During this they will be filling out a questionnaire on what they would like to build during the hackathon(i.e. about their idea). Also, at this point of time we will be dividing the builders for the hackathon into the two tracks.
- After Application Review Period, The Building Phase will start. This will be held in Online Mode where builders will be developing on their ideas. In between, we have talks and sessions by industry experts on Entrepreneurship over the period of one month, mentoring the students on efficiently building out ideas. It would help a lot if there can be a few workshop sessions(online) by Solana guys on building out on Solana.
- Online Judging: We have seen a great interest from students at IITM BS Program and RV College and we are confident to attract a huge audience for this. Thus, we will need to filter out the best of the ideas for the offline event. After submitting the projects which are built in the building phase, We will be choosing top 30 around for the online pitching event.
- Finale Round: The top 15-20 projects will be invited to showcase their products to judges in-person at RV College Bangalore. In return, they may get funding for their project to keep building it further and cash prizes from our sponsors.
We are primarily having two tracks:
Web 3.0 Track. - Focused on projects build on blockchain.
Classic Tech Track. - Focused on non-blockchain projects - Web2 solutions/ Non-software solutions and others.
Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
Start-a-thon is a hackathon that is being organized under the Jamsetji Tata Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship under Nilgiri House, part of IITM BS Program. Students with exciting ideas for changing the world are encouraged to take part in it.
Start-a-thon will comprise of mentorship sessions from Wadhwani Foundation, followed by the ideation round and building phase to work on their ideas. In the end, the final round will be organized offline at RV College, Bangalore where the participants will be able to showcase their products to potential Angel Investors, which we are in talks of bringing them in.
If available, please enter a link to your project below:
This link is a Notion Document containing details about the hackathon. We will be hosting our page by the end of this week. Here: Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.
How far along are you?:
We are setting up our hackathon page and finalizing details on track prizes for participants. Also, we have booked the university auditoriums for 3rd week of August for hosting the hackathon in-person for the demo-case event.
Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
We wanted to have a comprehensive hackathon hosted. So this is a combined effort of students at IIT Madras BS Student Program students and Startup Ignition Cell-RV College Bangalore.
What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
To get more builders start building into web3 with exposure to various projects that are available. This is also spread more word about The Graph and value it provides for projects built on blockchain.
How will you measure success?:
We measure success through:
- The submissions and quality projects submitted to the hackathon.
- Engagement and ultimate usefulness people feel about the event being held by holding a survey.
What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
- We will be going live in the upcoming weeks.
- We will be hosting online workshops and sessions for builders to help them build their products.
Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Other
How much funding are you looking for? (USD):
Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
- $500 To the best hack built using The Graph.
- $250 To the second best hack.
- $125, each to the third best hacks.
- $200, for help in hosting the offline event. This includes a demo day. We will need help for catering of food, help in accomodations and posters+banners.
Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
We will be taking help from Devfolio as they have Partner track prizes from Solana, Polygon, Filecoin and Replit.
Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Yes. I have been learning and working in Web3 since last two years. Last year, I interned with Solana Labs on building a wallet- Hydra Wallet, to be used primarily for distribution of funds among members of the wallet.
Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I see the value in The Graph. The solution to indexing and everything is much needed which is provided by The Graph. It seems trivial in Web2 but the solutions of querying in Web3 are not much available and I find the value provided to be a great saver. Thus, I got the idea to spread the word about The Graph. Since, we were already thinking of hosting the hackathon, it could be beneficial if we could join the name of The Graph with it.
Are you applying as a team or individual?:
What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Please select the category your project best fits into: