Grant Proposal: GraphConnect'23

Grant ID: 85zt0tq2x

Summary:

Planning to execute: Last week of June or first week of July.

The GraphConnect Meetup in Gujarat, India, will be a local event aimed at exploring the potential of decentralized technologies and demonstrating The Graph’s subgraph technology. The event will bring together web3 ecosystem developers, enthusiasts, and stakeholders to learn about subgraphs and their importance in decentralized application development. Attendees can expect informative talks, interactive workshops, and networking opportunities with others who are passionate about the internet’s future. The meetup aims to drive subgraphs and Graph adoption and growth in Gujarat, India, and to inspire more people to contribute to the web3 ecosystem. Attendees can learn about the latest developments in web3 technology and how to use subgraphs to build powerful decentralized applications at the event.

Event Flow:

1. Introduction to Blockchain (30 min).
  2. What is Graph and deploying your first subgraph. (1.30 hr)
  3. A quiz so that it is not just talksssss! (10 mins).
  4. Panel talk - Current things happening and future with QnA (1 hr).
  5. Networking and Food and Swags. (2 hr).

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:

1. Venue booking- $1200
  2. Swags - $800
  3. Standees Posters Banners- $300
  4. Food and Beverages - $500
  5. Event equipment (rented projector, mic, and speakers)- $200
  6. Photographer and Videographer - $500

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
My vision for how my contributions can help drive the adoption and growth of decentralized applications. I will be able to help educate developers and users about the potential benefits and use cases of decentralized technology by organizing events and workshops, and showing how The Graph can play a vital role in making these applications more accessible and usable. By evangelizing The Graph and web3, I hope to inspire more people to get involved and contribute to the ecosystem, thereby contributing to the creation of a more decentralized, transparent, and user-centric internet. In the long run, I want The Graph and web3 to be widely adopted and have a meaningful impact on society, giving individuals and communities more control over their data.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
I have organized four Web3 events in Vadodara city and one in Ahmedabad. I worked at The Graph Booth in ETHIndia 2022 as a Graph Advocate. I am an active contributor to the Zeeve.io evangelist program. I keep updating myself with new articles and updates on Web3 and try to implement them in my upcoming events. Mainly my role is to bring speakers and workshops to the Web3 audience in my area.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
https://twitter.com/DevanshiPandy11/status/1655500244279504896

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I’m interested in contributing to The Graph and web3 because I believe that decentralized technologies have the potential to create a more transparent, secure, and inclusive future.

Furthermore, by participating in the web3 community, I can stay current on the latest developments and innovations in decentralized technology, as well as help educate others on the potential benefits and use cases of this emerging field.

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hi, Thanks for your application.

I would like to know:
1.- How many people has your team?
2- Could you talk about the background of the team and experience in this kind of events?.
3.- Who will be in charge of the technical presentations?
4.- How many people do you expect to attends the event?
5.- how many devs do you expect to participate?
6.- You have included some budget. Could you clarify what merch is included and for how many people?
7.- Could you clarify the cost of food and beverages for how many people?
Thanks

1 Like

Thanl you for your proposal!

I have a few questions and comments!

1. Do you already have slide-decks for the sessions? Do you have confirmed speakers? If not, we can help you with the slide-decks and help you find speakers!

2. Which KPIs will you use to determine the impact of the event of the developer community and The Graph ecosystem?

1 Like

Thank you for your time!

I have some questions:

1/ Did you discuss the idea with other members of the Indian community in any way? We just have four active grants in this area right now, and I think you can work together in quite a cool way.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for reading my request!

I would like to answer your questions below:

1.- How many people has your team?

Answer. There will be Six team members Including myself.

2- Could you talk about the background of the team and experience in this kind of event?

Answer. The team will consist primarily of two other Graph advocates, Yash Jagtap and Ujjawal Patel. We will select three more volunteers from my community groups after interviewing potential candidates and ensuring they all come from backgrounds where they have previously organized or worked with an organizing team.

3.- Who will be in charge of the technical presentations?

Answer. Ujwal, an Advocate at Graph, will co-lead the technical team with Yash Jagtap, an Advo from Pune. Both will also assist in other organizing parts and deliver a talk on What is Graph Structure? How does it work for developers? What are Subgraphs? Etc.

4.- How many people do you expect to attend the event?

Answer. We have decided on a venue with a capacity of 100 people. However, if we receive 200 or more registrations, we may move the event to a venue with a capacity of 150 or more.

5.- How many devs do you expect to participate?

Answer. 70-80 devs and others can be web3 enthusiasts or beginners.

6.- You have included some budget. Could you clarify what merch is included and for how many people?

Answer. In terms of merch, we plan to print some cool Graph logo and web3 GraphConnect’23 stickers, as well as T-shirts and a small Tote bag. Merch will be ordered for between 100 and 150 people.

7.- Could you clarify the cost of food and beverages for how many people?
Answer. Food will be provided for 100-150 people, including speakers, guests, participants, and team members.

I hope this was helpful.

1. Do you already have slide decks for the sessions? Do you have confirmed speakers? If not, we can help you with the slide decks and help you find speakers!

Answer. I can certainly prepare a Slide deck, and will surely reach out to you if I face any trouble with the same.

As a speaker, Yash Jagtap will deliver an introduction to “What Is Web3?” & “What Graph Does?”. Meanwhile, Ujjwal Thakur presents How to Build with Graph, What is Subgraphs, and Other Brief about the Graph ecosystem. Both of them are Graph Advocates from India. If anyone on the DAO team has a recommendation for a speaker in India, I’m happy to invite them.

1. Which KPIs will you use to determine the impact of the event on the developer community and The Graph ecosystem?

Answers. According to me the main 5 KPIs that can be used to determine the impact of the event of the developer community and The Graph ecosystem

1. Attendance
  2. SubGraph adoptions
  3. Developer Education
  4. Social Engagements
  5. Feedback and reviews

Thank you for taking the time to read my request.

Yes, I have discussed my idea with two other Advocate members as well as in the community, where people have shown me a lot of interest and support, which has boosted my confidence. This initiative will bring about positive change in both the community I want to build and the community that already exists. And, of course, we intend to collaborate.

Thank you for your questions; I hope this information is useful!

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on May 30 at 18:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thank everyone for your attention!

Thank you for the application! I would like to request more material on your past experience with holding presentations like this, the team members’ technical knowledge and experience with subgraphs and educating other people, and your experience leading events like this. It would be great if you can share some feedback from past participants, or maybe some videos from the previous events you had the occasion to speak at.

It’s very hard to predict the quality of the event and the quality of presented content, as well as presenter’s ability to teach others based only on the topics included in the agenda, and unfortunately, I cannot find this information looking at your Twitter account :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Please take into account some of the recommendations from the presentation when making adjustments, namely:

• Price Adjustment from recommended swag providers
  • Explore any opportunity to collaborate with existing grants

and I think this grant will be great! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi this is Naruto11, a recent advocate for Graph. I have experience in blockchain development of 2 years now and I have been in crypto space since 2017.

Here are some of my constructive criticism on the proposal. Feel free to take in or disregard ant of it. Just looking to help:

1. The Event seems really long. Looks like a 5 hours event for 100 people is too much (as I remember from the presentation). What is Graph and how to deploy should be 1hour max, the Panel talk shouldn’t exceed more than 30 mins because people/students get bored easily (speaking from my personal exp). The networking and food shouldn’t be taking 2h as well, but it’s good to have some fun times.

2. Pricing: Venue booking in Vadodra doesn’t cost $1200 unless you are choosing a 4star Hotel. Even if some places do charge that much, they generally have the Food and Beverages included which eliminates the $500 charge. But it really depends on what venue and where.
    b. Swags are too much. I know good quality vendors who print tshirts for 500-800INR at max = ~$10. Prices are actually cheaper than this. Stickers cost 2500INR for 200 stickers = ~$30. A tote bag cost close to 700INR = ~$8. Now if we want to give everyone a tshirt or a tote, it takes our cost too much for no reason. IMO, we should only give tshirts to winners of a quiz + team + speakers. Even though swags are a very good attraction, it’s also a resource.
    c. The photographer and videographer can be reduced to a general photography student/intern type of person, which wouldnt cost more than $200 at max. While I understand the need of good pictures and videos, at the end of the day, it is a meetup of only 100 people and not a conference on a bigger scale.
    d. Standees and posters mostly cost $30-50. How many are you planning to have?
    e. Projector, mic, speakers are generally provided by venue but generally cost $100-150, can confirm from someone on this.
    Speakers: it’s great to have some developers who have built some great apps on Graph. I have some good recommendations as well, will be happy to send.

These are just my basic thoughts, I might be completely off the mark, but my experience has been a little different while organising web3 events.

7 Likes

Totally agree with @BrainFried and also thanks so much @naruto for your feedback.

The agenda must be adjusted to make sure people feel engaged as some sessions seems too long and stretched in time, for example as @naruto said:

• reduce the time to 30-40 minutes maximum per session,
  • also the panel must be no more than 20-30 minutes,
  • also adding a speaker who really built a real use case scenario/app will make the event a blast.

I’m sure this will be a fantastic event and your presentation was really great. Looking forward for a revised version of the grant :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I would also like to add that the thoughts that were said above are quite correct and not time-consuming.

At this point, I will abstain from voting until the @devanshi gives her response regarding all the information.

1 Like

I support the general idea of organizing meet-ups for the Indian community, but the details of the proposal make me hesitant about the applicant’s ability to accurately plan, organize, lead and host an event like this just yet.

The inflated budget items and the extended event’s duration are my concerns, but there is also no past experience hosting similar events. I will refrain from judging the presentation skills from one interview where I know stress plays a huge role. On the other hand, it is a crucial part of being the event’s host to be able to effectively deliver information, engage the audience, and convey a message with impact. You also admitted a lack of experience in the web3 space and the fact that you’re very new to the Graph ecosystem, which is again essential to engage in conversations and educate attendees.

I would recommend from my side to focus on some groundwork and learn about the space for example from the perspective of the Graph Advocate first, join the Learning Series, Community Talks and different advocate role chats regularly organized on our Discord server, and connect with more people from communities across India, and why not from other parts of the world, too. This way you will gain more confidence and experience, and you would be able to build a network and name for yourself in the community, which can be later used for organizing meet-ups and events similar, or bigger than this! :crossed_fingers:t2: :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Thanks for your application and presentation.
I agree with the people above who are concerned about the budget, and so do I.
I am also living in Asia and I know the difficulty to growing the communities like The Graph in Asia. India has a high potential for web3 development, and we saw many projects and developers there. So I support the grants dedicated to expanding the awareness of The Graph and web3.
I’m looking forward to some adjustment of the breakdown.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for reading my application and supporting the Process of growing the community.
Looking forward to a revised budget by TeamDao.

Thank you so much for your input, I firmly believe that in the suggestions made by all.
I will soon be providing the revised breakdown for the meetup.

Thank you for your ideas Paolo! Hopefully it will all work out with a new revised budget, and some adjustments made in timings.

Hi Devanshi, if you can provide the new revised agenda and the new cost breakdown, I would be happy to provide my vote here. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Paolo, thank you so much for your time. I am mentioning revised budget for GraphConnect’23

Requested Grant amount: $2500.

• Venue booking- $1200
  • Swags - $500
  • Standees Posters Banners- $100
  • Food and Beverages - $500
  • Event equipment (rented projector, mic, and speakers)- $200

(PS: we decided to remove Photography & Videography part.)