Grant Proposal: Graph university Hub

Grant ID: 3c63tej

Summary:

Graph/web3 is currently one of the fastest Growing Blo, Result from one of my research shows that 70% of the total number of Nigerians involve in digital currencies are university Students so therefore looking at this fact am PROPOSING for the establishment Of graph university Hubs in Nigeria Universities. And it going to take place in all the university in Nigeria.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Long-term (continuous)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Have you received funding from somewhere else?:
No

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
My vision is to make sure that graph and web3 will form a close partnership with the Students Developers club or any other Developers club present in the university community, the graph university Hub will put them through the " graph Certified Developer " program literally with this graph university Hub it will bring in more Developers into the ecosystem .

The graph university Hub will also promote Extra Curricular Activities like
*Sport Activities in The University
*Dance and music Activities through GRAPH advocate will also promote Extra Curricular Activities like
*Sport Activities in The University
*Dance and music Activities through GRAPH. With this all the university in Nigeria will know about GRAPH.

Some of the head roles we need in the hubs are
Representative of the Hub
Seminars/workshops moderator
Event organiser
Representative from the Developers club
Social media manager.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
The last Blockchain i work for was near blockchain and today near protocol is know in Nigeria, especially in Akwa Ibom state university. I feature 1. talent hut 2. Sports competition (football, table tennis, tennis and basketball) and i also sponsored some talented student in their academics.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
Web3 is permissionless: everyone has equal access to participate in Web3, and no one gets excluded. It has native payments it uses cryptocurrency for spending and sending money online instead of relying on the outdated infrastructure of banks and payment processors and this make it more important to participate and pick interest is trustless it operates using incentives and economic mechanisms instead of relying on trusted third-parties.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
Why am interested is because graph and web3 have been effective in their work and there are ready to show case more about web3. Web3 will Drop down and the masses will be fully aware of it , this will boost the presence of graph/web3 in Nigeria university.

Community Poll

Do you support this grant application?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote (closes on Sep 25)

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Hello! Thank you for applying for a grant and I’ve been reading your proposal with interest. I have some questions however:

1: Your proposal says that you want to have a Graph Community in all Nigerian universities. I admire the goal but I am curious how you plan to accomplish that. It seems to me like it would be really difficult to set that up in many different places at once, Nigeria is a big country. So: How do you plan to set up these clubs and at what universities are you planning to do so? Could you give a clear plan for how that will work?

2: You asked for 10.000 dollars. Can you please explain how you are going to use this money? It would be helpful if you made a clear breakdown of your costs and the benefits they will bring.

3: Do you already have a community or team that can work with you on this plan? If so can you tell us more about them? If not: How are you going to find that team?

4: It seems to me like there is no particular reason to organise sports/dance/etc. activities, or at least, they shouldn’t be the focus of a “Graph Club”. Can you explain why you would have those activities organised by that club?

Thank you for your proposal, looking forward to your answer.

4 Likes

@259tim @admin

1. First things first, I would established the Graph blockchain hub in the southern universities in Nigeria. These include: Akwa Ibom state university (university where I study), University of Uyo, University of Port Harcourt (Uniport), Rivers State university, University of Calabar, University of Lagos, Micheal okpara university of Agriculture, university of Nigeria, university of Ibadan Ahmadu Bello university etc. These universities are located in the southern part of the country and they will be the base region to setup the hub before expanding to other areas in the country. The plan is to establish a presence and then expand it to other universities in the country.

2. Yes, the grant request is for $10,000.
    For events - $6000 (workshops, meet-ups for the graph, sports + social activities that would facilitate onboarding students: in southern universities prior to expansion). $354 naira will go into each of the university. to organize this event.
    Team allocation - $3000 we will pay (each graph team in each university $300 as their salary
    Miscellaneous - $1000 (since the economic is up and down we need to have some extra Money in our pocket)

3. Yes, I have a team already to get the graph club up and running. - Christian Bernard (myself) will handle most, if not all of the administrative duties of the graph club. I would be directly involved in all events and activities that would be organised by the club. - Victor Usoro: Victor has plenty of experience in social media management and would be responsible for managing all our social media accounts, contents and activities on social media platforms like telegram, discord, and twitter. - Simeon Udoh: in charge of communicating the vision of the graph and also help onboard developers to the graph ecosystem. - And we would be doing this with the active participation and collaboration of student union government(s) in the respective universities since the student union government acts as the students’s body in all universities in the country. PS: there would be sub-teams considering there would series of events / workshops and activities hosted by the club eg: a graphic designer, sports director, etc.

4. Onboarding students is the core purpose of the club. Sports and social activities are subsidiary. These activities are fun activities that would aid participation of students in the club activities. From my experience, this is one of the best way to onboard students since they would include plenty of interactive and engaging activities that would play a key role in making sure that students attends events hosted by the club and actively participation in these events.

Thank you for your application.

I’m a bit concerned because you made a similar grant application 4days ago and made another one without answering the questions I asked in your previous application. For someone who intends to educate others, I’m not convinced you have done your research properly.

I have some questions regarding this application.

• From what I understand, your goal is to onboard more student developers into The Graph ecosystem. Have you built any Subgraphs before and can you provide the link(s)?
  • I also understand that you intend to achieve this through periodically holding workshops/seminars/events. How many events have you held in the past, and can you show any resources that give insight into the contents of the presentations made?
  • How many participants were at these events(s) if any?
4 Likes

@Chidubem

1. I have hosted two event one of the event I hosted was a summit Tag financial literacy. the summit was held at Akwa Ibom state university during the summit we feature on, financial management, Investment strategies, agro-allied farming, why entrepreneur and web3 should be improved, what are the team’s in real estate and Agric business and investment in cryptocurrency and each topic we had a resource person that speaks to student, and award was given also. The second event was about a tech community name Hachstacks. Hachstacks is a tech community I featured on Sports fiestas and also seminar, we discussed on tech and also coding.

2. My fist event since it was all about seminar I hard 800 people that participated in the event. This event was attend by secondary school students, business men, crypto traders, university student and staff of the university. and my second event after the Hachstacks sports fiesta, during the seminar I had 1000 student present. We achieved alot during the event, student are now coding very well after the program.

3. No I have not

4. having students is the core purpose of the club. hosting Sports and social activities are subsidiary. These activities are fun activities that would aid participation of students in the club activities. From my experience, this is one of the best way to onboard students since they would include plenty of interactive and engaging activities that would play a key role in making sure that students attends the seminar event that will be hosted by the club

1 Like

I have hosted two event one of the event I hosted was a summit Tag financial literacy. the summit was held at Akwa Ibom state university during the summit we feature on, financial management, Investment strategies, agro-allied farming, why entrepreneur and web3 should be improved, what are the team’s in real estate and Agric business and investment in cryptocurrency and each topic we had a resource person that speaks to student, and award was given also. The second event was about a tech community name Hachstacks. Hachstacks is a tech community I featured on Sports fiestas and also seminar, we discussed on tech and also coding.

My fist event since it was all about seminar I hard 800 people that participated in the event. This event was attend by secondary school students, business men, crypto traders, university student and staff of the university. and my second event after the Hachstacks sports fiesta, during the seminar I had 1000 student present. We achieved alot during the event, student are now coding very well after the program.

No I have not

having students is the core purpose of the club. hosting Sports and social activities are subsidiary. These activities are fun activities that would aid participation of students in the club activities. From my experience, this is one of the best way to onboard students since they would include plenty of interactive and engaging activities that would play a key role in making sure that students attends the seminar event that will be hosted by the club.

It goes to all the university.
Customize polo= $3000
Social media management=$471
Design = $600
Transportation=$2000
Entertainment =$1600
Giveaway =$900
Prize to be won=$1429

Grand Total$10000

Grants for IRL purposes are incredibly important and the DAO would want to ensure that these grants are mission-aligned. There were some concerns raised around the use of such funds for sports activities. While I agree that sports can be a way to bring people together, I am not sure if it raises to the level of mission-aligned relevance when it is such a key component in the proposal.

For future reference, I also love to gain confidence that a proposal would deliver on its stated promises. I have failed in my research to gather any evidence of past contributions from the applicants. I agree with @Chidubem that it’s critical to see past work performed in the Graph protocol, to better understand the grantees’ capabilities in moderating workshops and teaching students.

It’s also important to provide verifiable links to past work. For this application, the DAO was provided with a LinkedIn profile that doesn’t exist and a Twitter account that has mostly engaged in questionable giveaways. Beyond that, there is nothing else to validate. That is not sufficient enough information to support a grant imo.

3 Likes

The majority decision of the Grant Committee concludes to not recommend this proposal for DAO funding. Please recognize that this is not a statement on the proposal itself, but rather an aggregated reflection by committee members taking into account a number of factors, such as alignment to The Graph and web3 ecosystem, budget available to support grants and prioritization relative to other proposed grants.

I have already provided feedback above that may help you to submit successful grant applications in the future. Thank you for submitting this proposal and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger support from the committee.

@Chidubem @Oliver @259tim @admin I will love to reintroduce this grant and also to make some clarity. For more information please this is my Facebook username that will help you for your research CHRISTIAN BERNARD AKPAN. I have hosted different event and I have represented my school in Nigeria University Games NUGA at University of Lagos.

All the events I have hosted it been posted and recorded in my Facebook account and also my LinkedIn account details is Christian Akpan. My twitter handle maybe questionable which am trying to recover. I will really love Nigeria University Student to have more knowledge about graph Blockchain. And am not hosting this event for a day it will to take months for me to cover some University.

Greetings!

At this point, it’s been a pretty long time since you applied for a grant. You can submit a new application by filling in all the required fields and describing your proposal in detail. You can use this link to do so - ClickUp forms.

You can read more about community grants here - What is a Community Grant? - Docs.

Thank you! And good luck to you!

1 Like