Grant Proposal: Graph meet-up during Devconnect in Istanbul

Grant ID: 8685uhz9j

Summary:

This grant proposal seeks funding for organizing a networking event in Istanbul during Devconnect, with a primary focus on strengthening and fostering connections within The Graph ecosystem.
This event will bring together individuals from The Graph Foundation, core developer teams, Graph Advocates program and other people involved in The Graph ecosystem. The goal is to facilitate knowledge sharing, collaboration, and relationship-building among all these participants.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
Strengthening The Graph community

How far along are you?:
Looking for the venue and discussing with other event organizers to check costs.
I also reached out to people from web3 that live in Istanbul for support.

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
I found out that a lot of people from The Graph ecosystem will be present in Istanbul during Devconnect so I figured it would be a great opportunity for all of us to meet and strengthen the collaboration between us.
I have a proven track record of successfully organizing events with up to 200 participants at my past jobs. I also have over 12 years of experience as a volunteer assisting in event organization.

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
This event brings together diverse individuals in terms of knowledge, activity and involvement in the The Graph fostering unique interactions and knowledge sharing opportunities.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
My goal is to facilitate connections and strengthen relationships within The Graph community while also fostering its growth.

How will you measure success?:
Attendance, engagement and feedback from the participants

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
In the coming weeks and months, my milestones include planning and promoting the event, engaging with participants, preparing content, hosting the event and evaluating its impact.

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Curators, Delegators, Indexers, Subgraph Developers, Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
Venue Rental: $1,000
Food and beverages: $4,500
Miscellaneous and Decorations (special swag): $500

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
I have been involved in The Graph ecosystem for almost a year as an Advocate. I have attended a lot of events and met individuals from The Graph and had a very positive and empowering experience.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
As a Graph Advocate I’m deeply passionate about The Graph and organizing events to support and promote its ecosystem within the web3 community.

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Great initiative. But I think there is already a side event by The Graph at DevConnect planned by the DAO members. @andreea_cia can correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

Hey! It’s me applying for the grant! :joy:

1 Like

Cooool! Best of luck with your proposal :smile:

1 Like

Ohh! Sorry! All the best. Looking forward to it :heart:

Greetings, thank you so much for taking the time to apply for the grant program! As I was reading through the process, I had some questions regarding various points in the grant proposal. I hope we can answer them together:

I would like to start with what the purpose of the grant itself is. What specific metrics will you use to measure the success of your event? How will you evaluate the impact of your event on The Graph community?

Next, and this is what DAO members are more concerned about, is the budget. Can you provide more details about your budget breakdown? For example, how many people do you expect to attend the event? What types of food and beverages will you be serving? Since, $4500 for food, for me personally looks a bit too impressive. Why such a high price?

And the last thing is probably about awareness. How will you promote the event to ensure high attendance?

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you so much, Asad!

1 Like

The purpose of this grant is to establish and grow connections between members of The Graph ecosystem. Apart from this, the event organized through this grant promotes the plan to activate certain strategic regions in web3 around the world, and Istanbul is one of those key areas. This is only one of a series of events that will be organized by Advocates in the near future.

For measuring success, I will use feedback from the participants, which will be gathered through a form after the event. I will also promote this event on social media, where I will be able to assess its success by analyzing engagement.

Regarding the costs, this event is designed for approximately 50 people and will last around 4 hours. After reaching out to locals, I found out that this would be the price to have food and drinks for this number of people. If possible, I will try to reduce the costs but I want to make sure everything is at the highest standard since this event is about The Graph.

As another plan to get Advocates engaged, I’m planning to make an open call for ideas for special swag for this type of events.

In terms of promotion, I will be promoting it on social media and on the Discord groups and Telegram groups of The Graph and Graph Advocates with the help of Advocates. Most of the promotion will be rather internal since this meet-up is dedicated to people that already contribute to The Graph or are close to the ecosystem and would like to know more.

4 Likes

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on October 24th at 18:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thanks everyone for your attention!

4 Likes

Thanks for giving this proposal and I think everything is good, Istanbul will be a good place to do this kind of event during Devconnect, especially with Core team.

And I think Istanbul cost maybe very high, and hope can onboard more dev to join this Ecosystem.

1 Like

Congratulations! The majority decision of the Grant Committee has concluded to recommend this proposal to the DAO.

In order to receive official approval from the DAO, a corresponding on-chain vote needs to be conducted on DAOHaus that will determine the DAO decision. A member of the Grant Committee will reach out to you via email with instructions on next steps in order to prepare for the on-chain funding proposal, which requires prior completion of KYC and consent to the Grant Agreement.

Thank you for all your effort to present a strong proposal aiming to grow The Graph and web3 ecosystem!

3 Likes

I hereby agree to this grant agreement of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope

• The grant’s scope is to organize a networking event in Istanbul coinciding with Devconnect, aimed at strengthening The Graph community by bringing together various stakeholders, including The Graph Foundation members, core developers, and Graph Advocates. The event will enable knowledge sharing and foster collaboration within the ecosystem.
  • Deliverables

• Collect feedback from attendees, partners to evaluate the success of the event.

• Analyse the impact of the event on community engagement, new advocate applications, social media followings, and community engagement on The Graph and DAO’s Discord/Telegram channels.

• Provide a comprehensive report on the event, including videos, photos, and recommendations for future events.

• Make announcements about the event on relevant platforms to generate interest and increase attendance.

• Design, produce, and distribute swag items as a token of appreciation for attendees and participants.

• Total Grant Amount

• USD Value: 6000 USD

• Token: GRT

• Token Amount: 60188 GRT

• Disbursement Schedule:

• Full funding: 100%
  • Date of event:

• November 14th, 2023

• Receiving ETH Address: 0xC269Ac03E6A0Aa9332667a6cD2D531351Cc56776

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon a successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain.

1 Like

Congratulations! The final funding of your grant has been approved by the DAO. Thank you for contributing to the growth of The Graph and web3 ecosystem.

Now it’s time to focus on promoting your accomplishments! If you haven’t already done so, evaluate different ways to showcase your grant across different platforms, such as Twitter, the Graph Forum, Discord, Telegram or LinkedIn. Also feel free to reach out in the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server to seek help from others to promote your grant.

For information in how to getting paid for your grant, have a look at our official documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.

Greetings! @andreea_cia

Please don’t forget to share your results with the community and DAO. In the future we are planning to create some social posts to highlight your work, so we need information and materials!

Thanks!

Hello! Please find the full report here, including photos and diagrams: Graph meet-up @Devconnect2023 - grant report - Google Docs

The Advocate-led Graph Meet-up during Devconnect 2023 in Istanbul successfully brought together 33 participants from The Graph community. The primary focus was on strengthening connections within The Graph ecosystem. This initiative was funded through The Graph Advocates Program Community Grants.

Pictures from the event and video can be found here.

Key Achievements:

1. The event achieved a diverse representation, fostering collaboration among different segments of The Graph ecosystem. People from The Graph Foundation, Edge&Node The Graph core developer teams, Graph Advocates program, hackers who won Graph bounties, and other community members attended.

2. A dedicated POAP was created for the event to mark this occasion. Eighteen participants minted the POAP designed by a Graph Advocate (Dercio Hoffmann). @spanish_vanish

3. Graph Advocates Program Presentation

An impactful presentation on the success of the Graph Advocates Program was delivered during the event by AdvocatesDAO member and advocate, Vincent Plaisier (Colson). The presentation highlighted the program’s inception, growth, and diverse opportunities, encouraging attendees to apply or enhance their involvement. This session served as a catalyst for increased community engagement and participation. @Colson

4. Social Media Engagement

Attendees actively shared their experiences on X (Twitter). The event was mentioned in the following posts:

1. https://twitter.com/mujtabaidrees94/status/1724856270463647953
  2. https://x.com/vDarph/status/1727666190401556986?s=20
  3. https://x.com/vDarph/status/1724585871960150351?s=20

Graph Advocates Tiktok Video: TikTok - Make Your Day

5. Special swag

Another notable achievement at the event was the collaboration with the Pinax team, particularly with Martin B., for designing the visual part of the exclusive swag dedicated to the occasion. This collaboration resulted in the creation of unique stickers and t-shirts, adding a distinct touch of creativity and exclusivity that enhanced the overall experience for attendees. @Martin_B

Design and T-shirt sample

Event Feedback Survey Results

How would you rate your overall satisfaction with the Graph Meet-up organized by Graph AdvocatesDAO?

All the responses were either 4/5 or 5/5.

What did you like about the event?

Participants in the event expressed positive feedback on various aspects. They appreciated the opportunity to connect with graph advocates and other ecosystem members, highlighting the conducive atmosphere for networking and socialization. The venue received praise for its nice ambiance, contributing to a relaxed and cozy environment. Attendees enjoyed the in-person interactions, exchanging opinions and discussing community issues, while also commending the event’s organization and engaging presentations. The location, food, and beverages were well-received, adding to the overall positive experience of community togetherness and global networking.

The networking event in Istanbul, made possible through the grant met expectations. The active participation and positive feedback underscore the success of the event in strengthening connections within The Graph ecosystem.

What can be improved at future events?

Attendee feedback suggests several key areas for improvement in future events. They recommend a more concise schedule to retain greater participation, increased focus on presentations about The Graph and blockchain technology for enhanced networking, and improvements in technical aspects like picture and sound quality. Additional suggestions include incorporating a music setup, diversifying food options, extending the event duration, and providing a more substantial music offering with ample dance space. Implementing these changes could lead to a more engaging and satisfying event experience for all participants.

Moreover, all survey participants unanimously expressed their appreciation for the topics discussed during The Graph Advocates Program presentation, citing them as both beneficial and informative. Additionally, they underscored the significant value derived from the networking opportunities offered at the event.

CONCLUSION

The Graph Advocates Community Grant successfully powered a dynamic networking event in Istanbul, bringing together 33 participants from The Graph ecosystem. The unique POAP, impactful Graph Advocates Program presentation, and special swag added distinctive touches to the event.

Positive feedback underscored high satisfaction, emphasizing the success of the event in fostering connections. This achievement highlights the power of AdvocatesDAO community grants in enabling impactful and engaging events within The Graph ecosystem. The positive outcomes serve as proof of the potential for future initiatives supported by the AdvocatesDAO community grants.

3 Likes