Grant Proposal: Graph Grants Retrospective

Grant ID: 86694k5kh

Summary:

This request is for me to write a comprehensive retrospective report for the Graph that details your grant programs and their history. I will cover how they were formed, notable grantees, and the future vision for where the program would like to go.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

If available, please enter a link to your project below:
All of the work I do can be found at this link - Sov | Twitter | Linktree

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Curators, Delegators, Indexers, Subgraph Developers

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
It typically takes me 15-20 hours to do all the research and write one of these grant retrospectives. The funding requested is for a one-time retrospective but I would also be interested in helping with regular updates on grants if there is any interest there.

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
Yes

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
I have received grants from Aave Grants DAO and Polygon DAO for this work. Here’s a link to the content I created for them:

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
My blog has hundreds of loyal supporters. In addition to increased visibility, you will be helping to fund greater awareness of the broader span of grant and incentive programs and supporting a comprehensive retrospective on your program.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
I have written many of these retrospectives, you can view all of my work and content at my Mirror below:

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
My work started as a bear market project intended to capture and categorize all the different grant and incentive programs across crypto. I have been Board President for an innovative food bank for several years, and experiences with grants in the traditional sense got me thinking about how I would like to learn more about this topic from the crypto perspective. I saw many announcements about “Ecosystem Funds.” I was curious how these programs work compared to some programs I have had personal experience with a 501(c)(3).

As I saw these programs launching, I thought to myself, “surely there is a Dove Metrics, but for grants programs,” I looked and was surprised that no one was tracking them (outside of random spreadsheets and lists here and there). I had collected these programs on Sov’s Compendium and realized that with minimal effort, the list I had on my compendium was already one of the more comprehensive. I realized this was an opportunity, and I started by consolidating all of the information across multiple sources and being proactive in finding new information as it was released. I created a simple site on Notion called The Common Good and kept my research public. This site is now called LlamaoGrants and is hosted on DefiLlama’s wiki.

In addition to curating my list, I started to write retrospectives on my blog, Sovereign Signal, which provides program updates. In addition, Polygon DAO and Aave Grants DAO have granted me quarterly funding for Crypto Grants Wire and to write retrospective reports for their Ecosystem and Grant Program.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
You are a major player in the web3 space and one of the more established grant programs.

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Thank you for the submission.
I would like to ask.
1.- What is your idea of the retrospective report for The Graph
2.- Could you do a breakdown of the cost.
3.- How this proposal or report involve or benefit The Graph Ecosystem?
Thank you for your answers

2 Likes

Sure, happy to help with these questions.

1. My retrospectives typically follow a structure where I look into the background and “origin story” of the protocol in question. I then dive into their focus areas and look at their grant programs’ history. You can see this flow in the examples below in what I did for Uniswap and Polygon:
  1. I typically look at my hourly cost as around $150/hr, as that is a typical average cost for a grant reviewer that you will see in many of the established programs like UGP and Aave. Given the content and expertise I bring to the table; I feel that is a fair market rate for my work and experience. But, as I mentioned, it usually takes me 15-20 hours, so I just did $150 x 20 = $3000 for my proposed cost.

2. This report will showcase the previous work that The Graph has done with your grant programs since starting. It will also tell a brief history of the protocol and detail the areas of focus for individuals or teams interested in grants from the graph so you can attract more quality builders to your ecosystem. I would note that my retrospectives have been featured in The Defiant (Aave Grants DAO). I would also be happy to provide references to key stakeholders in the ecosystems I have worked for to speak to the quality and detail of my work.

Thanks again for your consideration!

1 Like

Thank you for your application!

What is the average number of people that read your articles? And what kind of outreach do you expect when writing about The Graph?

Thank you again!

3 Likes

I would appreciate help from The Graph to promote my work via Social media. This is usually where I have seen the best response in the past when other major protocols (Uniswap / Polygon) have helped RT my content from their main Twitter account.

I have a few different channels where I publish my content. Here are how I usually push out my content and the impressions I get for each method:

• 500-750 people that find my work directly via Substack each time I publish an article

• I have a grant wire telegram with 100+ subscribers where I send out updates on information I find related to grants and DAO Governance (this used to be a monthly newsletter, and I changed to a Telegram Alerts Channel)

• I maintain Sov’s Compendium and see 5-7K average monthly users on this site. When I publish an article, I usually feature it at the top of all pages on my compendium

• I create a thread for each article on Twitter. I see anywhere from 10K - 23K impressions; some examples are below:

Uniswap Retrospective (13.5K Impressions)
https://twitter.com/sovereignsignal/status/1537119056674709504/analytics

Polygon Retrospective (23K Impressions)
https://twitter.com/sovereignsignal/status/1549803497255604224/analytics

I hope this helps; thanks again for your consideration!

Sov

Additional links here since as a new user I can only include two links per post.

Sov’s Compendium:

Crypto Grant Wire Telegram:

Thanks for providing so much info thus far @Sov! After reviewing your submission I have a few follow up questions for you:

• Would this retrospective be just for the Graph AdvocatesDAO grants awarded or the Graph Foundation grants as well?
  • There seem’s to be a different take on the Uniswap and Polygon retrospectives. The Uni one is very focused on their Grants Program but the Polygon one seems to weigh heavily into the protocol’s history and is fairly light on details about their grant program. It sounds like the retrospective you are proposing for The Graph would look similar to the Uniswap article, can you confirm that?
  • The Twitter Analytics links you provided for Uniswap and Polygon Retrospective show the following message. Can you please provide a screenshot?

Thank you for applying and for providing so many resources in your submission! Looking forward to your responses.

Hi there,

Sure happy to help with these questions:

• I believe the retrospective would be most impactful if it covered the history and details of both Advocates and Graph Foundation. I am open to whatever direction the community thinks is best.

• Yes, there are some differences between Uniswap and Polygon. This is mainly because the details from Polygon were lacking around their early grant programs and, as part of the grant I was given for my work, I was asked to include details around their ecosystem in addition to an in-depth analysis of grant programs. I would be happy to take either approach with this retrospective, but I would prefer to dive deep as I did with Uniswap.

• Sure, sorry for the issues; screenshots are attached here.

Uniswap:

Polygon:

1 Like

Thanks for your responses! That’s all the questions I have for now.

1 Like

Hello Sov,

Thank you for submitting your proposal to the Graph AdvocatesDAO Community Grants Program.

Unfortunately, your grant proposal did not generate the level of support from our Forum community necessary to move to the next phase. Therefore, we are declining to review this grant application further.

We hope you will stay engaged in the broader Graph community, and you are welcome to submit new grant applications in the future!

Thank you for your interest and effort. Our community grows because people like you take initiative and step in to take on challenges.

Best regards
Graph AdvocatesDAO

2 Likes