Grant Proposal: Graph Birthday Party 2023 in Tokyo

Grant ID: 8686d442u

Summary:

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
We propose to organize a grand celebration to commemorate the third anniversary of the official launch of The Graph decentralized network on December 16, 2023 in Tokyo, the capital of Japan. This event will serve as a platform to bring together The Graph community and enthusiasts, fostering a sense of unity and excitement for the future of decentralized data indexing.

How far along are you?:
I have already secured a venue and even invited guest members (The Graph Advocate). I’, in the process of finalizing the event content.

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
The Graph’s solutions can be challenging, especially for non-technical people. By communicating it in a friendly, easy-to-understand manner in a friendly place, we can increase the commitment and motivation of existing contributors and bring in new contributors who have a solid understanding of the solution.

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
We have had domestic events related to hackathons (such as ETHGlobal Tokyo), but nothing like this has ever been done before.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
The Graph initiative provides a solid data infrastructure for web3, and other web3-related initiatives will ultimately leverage The Graph. leverage The Graph. This will create a flywheel-like synergy.

How will you measure success?:
It will not produce much numerically significant change, but will foster loyalty and commitment from developers and Japanese community members who are involved with The Graph in their respective roles. We have held hackathons in the past, but this is the first such consolation event of this kind, so it should produce significant non-numerical effects.

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
I will continue our efforts to align with The Graph’s roadmap and philosophy to participate in a large-scale event in Japan in 2024 and to attract Japanese educational institutions.

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
Venue Rental: $1500
Food & Beverage: $800
Music set: Free
Logistics and Event Management: $2500 (Including stand posters and other decorations and creation of creative video materials and a comprehensive guide booklet including an overview of The Graph and cheat sheets)
Miscellaneous Expenses: $100

Total Estimated Cost: $4900

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
I have launched a Japanese community for Solana, made a seed investment in zkSync, and have conducted numerous events (meetups and hackathons) including The Graph.
I’m also the Community Manger for The Graph in Japan.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I believe that The Graph’s solutions will be an indispensable infrastructure for the development of web3, and I launched The Graph Japan in June 2020.

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Thanks so much Takeshi for your grant submission and with your proposal to arrange a Birthday Party in Tokyo. Can you share more details about the booklet you want to create? What will contain basically? Do you have already the content? Or this is under preparation now?

1 Like

Greetings!

I think it’s a great initiative, but I want to clarify some questions:

• Can you elaborate on the expected impact of this event on the understanding and adoption of The Graph among attendees?
  • How was the budget of $4900 determined, and could you provide a more detailed breakdown of the logistics and event management costs?
  • Could you provide more details on the content and format of the presentations and how they will engage the audience?
  • How will the success of the event be measured, and what are the key performance indicators?
  • Will there be any special commemorative items or merch for attendees to mark the third anniversary?
  • Are there any cultural or local aspects of Tokyo that will be incorporated into the event to enhance the experience?

Thanks!

1 Like

This research paper booklet will focus on promoting understanding to encourage Japanese developers and users to contribute to The Graph. However, to avoid making the content too advanced, I plan to include numerous infographics suitable for beginners. This content will be created by my friend, a professional writer in the crypto field.

The paper will cover the following topics:

・An overview of The Graph project
・The significance of The Graph
・An introduction to GRT tokens
・An exploration of The Graph’s ecosystem

An example of the creation is attached as an image.

Answer.

1. I was proposed to hold a regional party to comfort the community and celebrate anniversaries as a birthday event. I am incorporating more educational content as a uniquely Japanese initiative rather than just a party.

2. please see the budget breakdown here.Graph Birthday - Tokyo - Google Docs

3. as mentioned above, I have received proposals to host parties/events, but this event, more than half of them will be lecture-style. It will be an interactive learning experience, with Advocate members explaining their initiatives, basic understanding of The Graph, and a practical workshop element utilizing Brian.

4. Yes, I would also like to know how everyone are measuring the success of past Birthday events. https://x.com/graphprotocol/status/1605700691179323392?s=20
    I found that difficult to measure so a more hands-on education, I plan distribution of a booklet with content, outlines and cheat sheets.

5. I will be distributing limited edition POAPs. Also create limited edition champagne and cakes.

6. To make the experience even better, I am personally working with the person in charge of Japan’s largest crypto media, the founder of the Hackathon platform, and the co-founder of Japan’s largest integrated developer community. This means I can leverage all their networks.

1 Like

Thanks so much Takeshi to provide all the answers. And the presence of the largest crypto media company will definitely help to spread the word and further help The Graph branding in Japan.
Can your contact also do some amplification of the event?

For the rest, I fully support this initiative.

1 Like

Thanks for applying the Grant, Takeshi.
Great initiative! But I still has some questions here:

1: How will you promote the event, is the attendee all web3 dev or some web3 new users.

2: Is there a PDF or some meterial you will use to have the presentation in the event?

Hello @Takeshi_TGAL,
The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on November 21th (Tuesday) at 10:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!
See you soon!

Congratulations! The majority decision of the Grant Committee has concluded to recommend this proposal to the DAO.

In order to receive official approval from the DAO, a corresponding on-chain vote needs to be conducted on DAOHaus that will determine the DAO decision. A member of the Grant Committee will reach out to you via email with instructions on next steps in order to prepare for the on-chain funding proposal, which requires prior completion of KYC and consent to the Grant Agreement.

Thank you for all your effort to present a strong proposal aiming to grow The Graph and web3 ecosystem!

I hereby agree to this grant agreement 2 of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope

• Arrange the Graph Birthday Party in Tokyo on Dec, 16th
  • Deliverables

• We propose to organize a grand celebration to commemorate the third anniversary of the official launch of The Graph decentralized network on December 17, 2023 in Tokyo.

• While celebrating this important milestone, we also plan to identify potential high quality advocates, create more social engagements for the ecosystem, and do some follow-up engagements.

• Total Grant Amount

• USD Value: 4,900 USD
    • Token: 40,941.08 GRT
    • Token Amount: GRT
  • Disbursement Schedule

• Initial Funding: 100%
  • Receiving ETH Address:

• 0xa911ccf5F6C7BD5fb25188D41A536890c3c8fAE5

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon a successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain.

2 Likes

The Graph AdvocatesDAO has approved full funding of this grant proposal! Thanks to all community members that have been engaged throughout this process and providing feedback.

To the grant recipient:

The DAO is looking forward to hearing about your success! Following completion of your grant, please write a confirmation post as a response to this thread. Providing links, docs and images of your completed grant will also help the DAO determine how to best promote the labors of your hard work. Good luck!

For more information on how to withdraw your grant, please review the following documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.

2 Likes

Greetings! @Takeshi_TGAL

Please don’t forget to share your results with the community and DAO. In the future we are planning to create some social posts to highlight your work, so we need information and materials!

Thanks!

Event Report

The Graph Network 3rd Anniversary Event in Tokyo

Event Video: Here

Slide materials for use: Here and Here
Distribution Booklet: Here *The booklet is available in Japanese and English and can be used for future events by printing more copies.

Overall: It was able to achieve a high level of participant satisfaction by providing several contents to enjoy and learn about The Graph from different angles, rather than just having a party. The use of The Graph from the perspective of the keyword “AI,” which is of interest to everyone, and the quiz competition with swag as a prize (using an application that allows ranking based on results & response time) are recommended for future efforts. I have received proposals and interest from several organizations to lobby for the listing of GRT on Japanese exchanges (currently only one exchange due to Japan’s strict listing process) and for indexer operations. This was a great event for next year’s Asia Tour.

Tweet:
https://x.com/graphprotocolJP/status/1737239016779702361?s=20
https://x.com/graphprotocoljp/status/1736010557009064426?s=46&t=5nCXhXjbZs6JdDxR22Hi4g

1 Like