Grant Proposal: Graph Advocates POAP Collection

Grant ID: 868528bv3

Summary:

This is a proposal for a grant to design a POAP collection that will be used to support the Graph Advocates Program and recognise its members. While they’re fun to collect, these badges may also have greater untapped potential for the Graph Advocates Program. We believe that the engagement and time spent in the Program can be measured by the number of POAPs in a user’s wallet.

We plan in this initial grant to design, and then handover to the Graph AdvocatesDAO, the following sets of POAPs:
POAP to have attended The Graph’s Community Talk
POAP to show the wave you got onboarded as Advocate (e.g. Wave 1, Wave 2, etc.)
POAP to serve as badges for approved contributions.

We are going to provide at least three designs for each POAP collection and present them to the DAO members when we are done with our work. In this case, DAO members can provide feedback in case they want us to perform some changes. Once we receive the green light, we will design all the variations for the POAP that will showcase the wave that an Advocate has been onboarded, or the specific community talk they attended, or a particular Learning Series.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
creation of POAPs for specific purposes

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

How far along are you?:
I have started making some samples

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
I am a “part-time” graphic designer who knows a lot about POAPs and how they are done

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
N/A

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Using POAPs will serve as a motivation and a form of “bragging rights” for advocates. Many advocates might prefer not to attend calls and just read meeting notes or briefs. The introduction of POAPs will serve as a “motivation” for participation in these calls.

How will you measure success?:
Significant increase of contributors on calls.

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
Creation of Base design(samples): One week
Edit and review: One week after approval

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
We report below the cost breakdown and the total cost assuming $20/hour as the hourly rate:
30 hours for the initial design for the POAPs, where will provide three designs for both of them
10 hours for eventual adjustments after the confirmation meeting with DAO members
20 hours for completion of the collections with all the taglines
to have attended The Graph’s Community Talk from #26 (August ‘23) for the next 12 months till #37 (July ‘24)
to get onboarded as an Advocate from wave #16 (August ‘23) for the next 12 months till wave #27 (July ‘24)

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
As Graph Advocates, we always look to improve and educate people about the Graph and the web3 ecosystem as a whole. I am proud to be an advocate

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Other

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hey there! Thanks for submitting this proposal and to be honest i love this idea, also i would like to propose you some ideas:

1. The AdvocatesDAO are planning to introduce advocate points feature where the advocates will get points on their contributions and will be rewarded a level i guess, you can collaborate with DAO for making POAPs with advocate levels on them!
  1. I think this would be a hectic task for the DAO members as the advocates are contributing good in the ecosystem and sending them a POAP for each contribution will increase the workload for the DAO.

I have received 2 POAPs till now and i really love those and will love to get some more with your designs😁

Best of luck with your grant!!

1 Like

I love this idea and it could be another way to track attendees of these events when filling the contribution form. Great job​:+1:t5::sparkles:

1 Like

Greetings, thank you for your submission! Overall it looks pretty interesting, but I still want to clarify and confirm a few things:

1/ At this point, DAO is already actively giving away POAP as shown above. What exactly is the speciality of your POAPs specifically, and what can you suggest? Likewise, what you plan to distribute POAPs for is already in the DAO.

2/ I would like to invite Kyle here. Since he is responsible for the distribution and the POAP part of DAO in general, he could also contribute his thoughts.

3/ Since in fact, what you want to do falls pretty much under the Content Creator role. If your grant application is rejected, you can apply for the program. You can read more here - The Graph Advocacy.

Thanks!

@Mr.1776 We would like to hear your opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your comments. Truly, giving POAPs might be “hectic,” but I feel it is worth the stress, and it this can be done by a person or very few people

These are lovely! :heart_eyes:.

1 Like

At the time of the proposal I did not know theDAO is already distributing POAPs. Regardless, proposal aims to create distinct POAPs for different purposes, such as attending community talks, learning series, onboarding as an advocate, and recognizing approved contributions after the submission of a PoC. The intention is to provide unique badges that signify different achievements or milestones within the program.

Alright, I would love to hear from him to clarify things and also incorporate his perspectives, we can create a cohesive approach that maximizes the benefits and effectiveness of the POAPs in the DAO.

Hey Friends!

Overall, I am very interested in this proposal. As @doxe01.eth and @juliannaMLN mentioned, for a long time I helped to send out the POAPs in collaboration with @Lorena . Basically the process was that Lorena would generate the POAP codes and I would send them out to Advocates individually via Discord.

However, during my hiatus from the DAO from May through June and a few months before I believe this fell off the radar and POAPs were no longer being sent out. @olokoji is one of quite a few Advocates that have missed out on these. I’m hoping to resolve that soon!

A couple thoughts on the proposal:

• I like the idea of adding POAPs for the Community Talk’s (and maybe a few other notable/reoccurring events like the Learning Series, receiving a Community Grant etc., and if the DAO were to move forward on the Advocate Levels idea, I think POAPs would be great for those as well).

• I think building out the Advocate Onboarding Wave # images for the next year would be helpful and more efficient than us scrambling to do it every month. Fully in favor of this. Also, while the current artwork for the onboarding POAP is looks solid imo, I’d very interested to see what you would create to potentially improve it :slight_smile:

• As @asadus16 said, I think trying to distributing POAPs for every Advocate contribution would be too unwieldly. So I’d be in favor of removing this from the proposal.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for submitting this grant application. Very interested to see where it lands.

1 Like

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on July 25th at 22:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thank everyone for your attention!

1 Like

Thanks for applying here, this idea is awesome, actually I am also think this before, but the important thing is how to motivate people through the POAP, and since we have distributed the POAP as mentioned above.

I will give some thoughts here, hope it’s helpful.

1: If can add a meaningful value to the POAP you design, then I think it will incentive people mostly

2: Since we already have distributed the POAP, what’s the addtional value can add here.

Hope you get a good results in this Grant.

Thank you for the pointers, It is very helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the initiative to submit this grant proposal! After listening to the recording of the interview I decided to vote against moving forward with this grant for the reasons I will describe below:

It will be not possible for non-DAO member to be involved in distributing POAPS to Advocates who are contributing in various roles because of personal data protection of the Advocates’ data. To distribute it manually wouldn’t be efficient from the process perspective and it also adds additional step(s) in the process, which already is quite complex and tricky to optimize.

I’m also confused about the part about how the POAP design should reflect the different involvement triers/ levels, or maybe it is the other way around?

Distributing POAPs after major community online events seems to be a lot easier to manage and whereas I think it would be something that you as an Advocate would be able to do, it is something that DAO has experience doing and you as a content creator would be able to focus on the design and its appeal.

Despite the obstacles, I’m very eager to see community members with the whole collections of POAPs from these events, especially if the POAPs will be original in the design, somehow referring to the content discussed during the event or call, maybe also a time of the year, interesting/groundbreaking news or events from the world or the specific situation of the given time (e.g. :mask:) which will make us think back about that time and keep a vivid memory of it (another example: Halloween POAP for October’s Community Call + specific content visualization from the call :ghost:).

Therefore, I would really encourage you to move forward with the creation of the POAP collection as an Advocate contribution to also see and test how the new POAP approach will be received.

3 Likes

The majority decision of the Grant Committee concludes to not recommend this proposal for DAO funding. Please recognize that this is not a statement on the proposal itself, but rather an aggregated reflection by committee members taking into account a number of factors, such as alignment to The Graph and web3 ecosystem, budget available to support grants and prioritization relative to other proposed grants.

Below you find brief feedback brought up within the committee to not recommend DAO funding that may help you to submit successful grant applications in the future:

At this stage, the proposal could be pretty decent if the feedback from forum members that was left above is taken into account. Also, if we are talking about the grant itself, in the future it would be very interesting to see the designs and also what you plan to show people. Next is the fact of giving out POAPs, either by code in chat or direct distribution to addresses, this is also something to consider.

Thank you for submitting this proposal, and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger support from the committee.

Sincerely,
Graph AdvocatesDAO

1 Like