Grant Proposal: ETHTaipei side event - The Graph/Graph AdvocatesDAO - the first meetup in Taipei

Grant ID: 868780tee

Summary:

This will be the first meetup for The Graph/Graph AdvocatesDAO in Taiwan and Taipei. I have been to several events and shared the awareness of The Graph. I got feedback from the community, not only developers but also enthusiasts. It’s time to expand the community to inform more people about The Graph. I hope we can share the knowledge and answer the questions from the community IRL in a relaxed mood during ETHTaipei.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
I want to hold a side event during the ETHTaipei 2024.
As the first Graph/Graph AdvocatesDAO event in Taiwan, let more developers know how the Graph works and what’s been different in the past years.

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

How far along are you?:
I booked the venue and almost booked the T-shirts.
I’m looking for PT workers and photographers.
Others are waiting for specific pricing.
I want to invite members using Chinese from The Graph to share further details of The Graph. (We have a candidate and checked the visa is OK)

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
I attended several events in Taiwan and shared the Graph with others. However, some people said integrating with their project took a lot of work. But I know it’s different between now and that time.

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
People in Taiwan are not so familiar with The Graph. They might use some centralized services, but I know people like me believe in decentralization.

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Let developers in Taiwan know more about the latest status of The Graph, and more people join the community.

How will you measure success?:
The number of attendees.
The developers let The Graph list in their tech stack (or in consideration).
The number of newbies in the Chinese Telegram group.

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
I will make sure everything is going well and hold the meetup successfully. I will do a presentation about Graph AdvocatedsDAO in the meetup, too.

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Other, Delegators

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
venue 300
food & drink 500
sticker 80
T-shirts 700
pull-up banner and acrylic stand 70
PT worker for guide and misc. 130
photography 100
freight 40

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
I’m a graph advocate and working in the industry.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I work in the industry. We should have something like blockchain against centralized power. I always share the vision with my friends and co-workers.
The Graph is more decentralized than the alternatives.
The community of The Graph is friendly and willing to help.

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Your proposal looks good, best of luck!

1 Like

Sorry for the wrong filling, and the link for main event ETHTaipei is here: https://ethtaipei.org
I have submitted to the side event on ETHTaipei website.

2 Likes

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be held in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on February 20th at 10:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thanks everyone for your attention!

2 Likes

Here are the slides:
The version include images (need to download)
The version not include images (online readable)
I had paid for the venue and stickers.
Get the sample of the T-shirt and keep processing.
The photographer and PT workers are almost confirmed.
According to Martin’s suggestion, we will try finding sponsors to improve this event.
And I will ask a blockchain media in Taiwan to promote this meetup.

Thanks for the presentation today,

2 Likes

Sorry, one of the guests is from Malaysia and works for Pinax; I misunderstood that Pinax or the Foundation would pay for him.
I have an additional budget to ask below:

Flights: 300 USD
Accommodation: 200 USD (100 USD/day)
ETHTaipei Ticket: 100 USD

The total updated amount is 2520 USD.

Here is the breakdown spreadsheet.

He will pay additional accommodation and fees besides above.

Please evaluate it.
And the committee members who had voted, please review it. @juliannaMLN @pdiomede @PeterPan

1 Like

Congratulations! The majority decision of the Grant Committee has concluded to recommend this proposal to the DAO.

In order to receive official approval from the DAO, a corresponding on-chain vote needs to be conducted on DAOHaus that will determine the DAO decision. A member of the Grant Committee will reach out to you via email with instructions on next steps to prepare for the on-chain funding proposal, which requires prior completion of KYC and consent to the Grant Agreement.

Thank you for all your effort to present a strong proposal aiming to grow The Graph and web3 ecosystem!

2 Likes

Confirmed guests:
Hau from Pinax - the infrastructure of The Graph and development
Irara from imToken - the experience of developing subgraph

Progress now:
T-shirts and the pull-up banner are in production.
I will have a meeting with ETHTaipei team online for this side event on 2/28.
Keep sharing this event in different ways.

1 Like

I hereby agree to this grant agreement of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope
    • Organizing and hosting the first meetup in Taipei during which The Graph protocol will be introduced to the local web3 community as well as The Graph Advocates Program.
  • Deliverables
    • Promote the first meetup in Taipei on social media and provide visual evidence (photos, videos) to the DAO after the meetup.
    • Ensure a smooth flow of the event, including logistics, venue management, and attendee engagement.
    • Introduce the Graph during the meetup: Provide an overview of The Graph protocol, its capabilities, and its significance in the context of decentralized applications (dApps) and the broader blockchain ecosystem.
    • Community Building: Foster collaboration and knowledge-sharing among local web3 enthusiasts, developers, and blockchain stakeholders.
    • Graph Advocates Program Launch: Unveil The Graph Advocates Program, outlining its purpose, benefits, and the role Advocates play in strengthening The Graph’s presence in the local ecosystem.
    • Identify Potential Advocates: Through networking sessions and collaborative activities, identify individuals passionate about The Graph and its potential impact in Vietnam.
  • Total Grant Amount
    • USD Value: 2,520 USD
    • Token: GRT
  • Disbursement Schedule
    • Initial Funding: 50%
    • Final Funding: 50%
  • Receiving ETH Address: 0xEEb991702e3472166da495B22F3349A7A3aa638a

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon the successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain and that the GRT (30-day average) rate will be considered at the point of initiating a proposal, whether for the provision of initial funding or the culmination of the final payment.

Hello everyone,

Here are the photos and videos of this event.
photos: 20240323_The Graph | Flickr
videos and slides: Taipei Meetup - The Graph/Graph AdvocatesDAO – Google Drive

Receipts and details: The Graph/Graph AdvocatesDAO meetup in Taipei - receipt – Google Drive

The canned drinks in the spreadsheet shouldn’t be counted because I took them home.(attendees didn’t drink them)
I will use the rest of T-shirts for the future events.

To be honest, I have put a lot of effort into this meetup, but the result is not entirely satisfactory.

The number of people registered for the event was over the cap, I approved more than the cap.
But the amount of final attendees is only around 20.
Maybe because Bybit (a crypto exchange) held a poker event elsewhere.
So, many people go there without canceling the register. Some of them whom I know also do this.(It’s frustrating for me)

At least we sent the rest of the food and drinks to needy people. (e.g., homeless, elder)

At the next event, I should reduce the amount of food I buy to avoid the same situation from happening again.

I wish to reduce the final funding by $160 to $1,100 at least. @juliannaMLN

2 Likes

Thank you Jim for working on that and being transparent! Keep your head up for putting in so much engagement, time and effort. I’m convinced that 20 engaged attendees are better than 100 indifferent participants! Personally, I really appreciate your work!

The Grant Committee will analyze the evidence provided and will get back to you.

1 Like