Grant Proposal: EthereumBrasil | EthereumSP 23 Hackathon

Grant ID: 8684tpwe2

Summary:

EthereumSP 2023 is a four-day event to educate and encourage the Brazilian web3 community. Participants will have access to advanced workshops, bootcamps and Hackathon. The highlight of the event is the Hackathon, where participants collaborate on innovative solutions with a high potential for impact. The event is an opportunity for developers, builders, enthusiasts and students to boost the Brazilian web3 community.

EthereumSP 2023 is an event that will take place between the 22nd and 25th of June. At USP (University of São Paulo) Top University of Latin America. Sao Paulo is the tech hub of LatAm and USP the lead University in Engineering and technology. The event kicks off with two bootcamps, one for developers and one for non-developers, offering expert guidance and support for first-time attendees and advanced workshops for experienced attendees. Web2 devs will learn web3 languages and onboard the space with the best of the assistance, what will make than ready to participate in their first Hackathon. The Hackathon, the event’s main activity, brings together hackers and developers from around the world to collaborate on innovative solutions that address the most pressing SDG challenges. Participants will have the opportunity to work with experienced mentors and other participants to create high-impact projects and compete for prizes. EthereumSP 2023 is an unmissable opportunity for participants to delve into the web3 and create innovative projects with the potential to change the world.

Kevin Jones will be giving one of the Workshops on The Graph (why it’s important and how to build subgraphs for your smart contract).

The grants here would be given as bounties for the projects/hackers

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
Ethereum Brasil (EB) is a non profitable project launched at the end of 2021, initially as a Brazilian web3 event planner focusing in the Ethereum ecosystem. After the success of our first event, EthereumRio, in March of 2022 a lot of the attendees got in contact to thank us for the opportunity to participate in their first web3 event. Some participants had their lives completely changed after that first event where their projects could be sponsored by the biggest web3 companies.

Today Ethereum Brasil actively promotes the growth of the Ethereum ecosystem through collaborative efforts, building a diverse community that includes education projects and partnerships in addition to organizing conferences, Hackathons, Bootcamps and Networking.

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

How far along are you?:
The event is happening already!
We have 300 hackers signed up and we are expecting way more.
The Bootcamps and workshops will be in real life.
The hackathon and some workshops will be online (We had to change because of the lack of sponsorships to make it in real life and cover expenses with food, collation etc)

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
I met Kevin in EthDam and he told me he would love to contribute to the Brazilian community somehow. So we organized some workshops. We suggested me to apply for this grant also.

EthBrasil have been doing big conferences like EthRio and Hackathons. I am just part of the team.

The whole team is here:

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
The differential is giving Brazilian community - that is huge and have a big potential - the opportunity to access quality content in their mother language - as most of the population dont speak English (language that dominates web3 space).

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Brazil is a potential market and that is a lack of support and events to the local community. The bootcamp is a change to web2 devs to onboard web3 space. The workshops are a change to devs in the ecossystem to learn abou Dapps, protocols, etc. And be able to build on it, participate in the hackathon and win prizes, and more important, to creat solutions to real life problems in Brasil. Our Hackathon tracks will be in synergy with Sustainable Development Goals of United Nations.

How will you measure success?:
Number of inscriptions, number of projects submitted in the Hackathon, number of attendees to each workshop, number of projects that moved forward - One of the last Hackathon winners became a business.

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
We are looking straight bounties for the projects in the Hackathon building in The Graph.
Of course we had more expenses with the event and would be great to receive The Graph also as a official sponsor. We could discuss in a call.

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
Giving as 5 bounties of 1K for ex
(This is a example - will be defined together w The Graph team)

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
EthBrasil has past events - Conferences and Hackathons.

Myself, Ester:

I joined web3 organizing events for the Brazilian community, I organized the first ETH event in Brazil (1k attendees, Hackathon, bootcamp, Launchpad) and organized other events and meet ups after this also outside Brazil. I spoke in events last year in Bogota - SBS Filecoin, Schilling Point - In Bali, Coin Fest.
I am a engineer, Master in Science.

The rest of the team here:

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
The graph is a serious and truthful protocal. Can be benefited and benefits the Dev community in Brasil.

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Other

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

The majority decision of the Grant Committee concludes to not recommend this proposal for DAO funding. Please recognize that this is not a statement on the proposal itself, but rather an aggregated reflection by committee members taking into account a number of factors.

Below you find brief feedback brought up within the committee to not recommend DAO funding that may help you to submit successful grant applications in the future:

• Due to the limited timeframe available before the proposed event, we believe that we would not be able to provide the level of support and resources necessary.

Thank you for submitting this proposal, and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger support from the committee.