Grant Proposal: Ethereum-Mexico

Hello Martin!
Thank you very much for your interest in our project and the way we want to impact the Spanish speaking community.

I am on The Graph Telegram since May 2022.
https://twitter.com/kylelarue11/status/1578098411974311936?s=46&t=tI_t5XBfSpqgDRZiutT0Pw I would love for you to read a little more about what I have been doing.

I’m also working with two Devs to deploy our Lens Library project that uses The Graph as indexer for the contract.

Also, with Ethereum Mexico I proposed successfully to include a “The Graph Session” in our Road to ETHMexico/Devcon. In this workshop we have shared about The Graph, more specific about “How to build decentralized APIs” using The Graph, where 43 hackers attended and Cami (ex The Graph was the speaker). This workshop can be found in our YouTube Channel where it’s visible for everyone. Here is the link: Ethereum México Workshop 2: Creación de APIs descentralizadas en Ethereum con Cami - YouTube

Also, other members like Ariiellus and Dmars have remarked the importance of tools like The Graph in a talk during ETHLatam Bogotá. Here is the link: La forma final de Ethereum Proposer Builder Separation, proto y full danksharding - YouTube

I think my personal life is not in discussion in this grant. I appreciate that you respect my privacy and focus in our grant proposal and the work we as Ethereum Mexico have been doing to strengthen the Latam/Mexico community with the results we have demonstrated.

During Devcon, we didn’t receive a message from you to talk about the proposal, and we are sorry you missed our presentation in which an in-depth explanation of our project was laid out to the members of this DAO and in which questions were resolved that led to the current voting. If you want to get in touch with us, feel free to send us a DM in our Twitter or Telegrams, we will be happy to solve your concerns.

I find a great opportunity with a collaboration between The Graph and Ethereum Mexico to build and educate more people about The Graph.

Our impact it’s bigger in collaboration

2 Likes

Good evening @CryptoReuMD,I greatly preciate all the mentions of The Graph at various talk y’all have given. This is after all a main responsability of any Web3 Event Evanglist. Which you signup up to be. It 's bare minium requirement to be an advocate. There been no proof of contributions or any other reports of your advocate contributions. and past attempts to contact you did not work. I did ask to speak before DevCon. You told me you where too busy. I did send you a message via telegram after DevCon. which you never replied to.

The Telegram group I am refering to is not our main, general one. It is the one for all the Graph Advocates from LATAM where we cordinate for Advocate projects. The one I added you to a few days ago. Which you have not replied to. This is why it is hard for me to support some one asking for $8000 USD per month to do work he is supposed to be doing already as part of the requiremts to be in the advocates program. I hope you can understand why this would be a difficult ask to support given the circustances.

My apologies that you felt I violated your privacy. The only information I shared about you was information that you have several times shared publicly at in person events and online. This information has been plublic knowledge since before we met. It is actually part of your user name. So are the many web3 communites you are part of. The reason for bring them up was that a human only has 24 hours in a day. So if the waking hours of that person are already filled with a time consuming job and various other after work commitments it is a fair question to ask how your will find time for this work. Especially when you are asking for $8,000 USD per month for it.

I am well aware of the talk with Cami. It was me who introduced @anatech to Cami. I am glad at least a good workshop came out of that.

To be clear and to better manage expactations, as I have stated before, I am not interested in the scope of this particular proposal. I am not interested in paying $8,000 USD per month, on going, for a watered down version of one the two main programs this DAO was created to do. This is why I voted no on this proposal.

I am interested in exploring a more unique value add colaboration with ETH Mexico.
We need to see much more tangible results. Twitter spaces, talks and parties are not the result we need.

The results we need is how many developers has ETH Mexico created. How many project integrations have been made, how many subgraphs created. how many Web3 projects (beyond generative NFT collections), have been created as a result of the work of the applicants for this grant. Or at least a clear goal of how many y’all will create with such a large amount of monthly funding. If you have a proposal for those type of results I would love to read it, to talk with y’all about it, to support it at the DAO with a Grant and in the wide Graph & Web3 ecosytem. Especially if it creates more opportunites for a better future for Mexicans making $10,000 pesos or less a month. Which is the reason why I financially supported your first event in Merida.

I am also deeply aware of the track record of results that ETH Mexico and Espacio Cripto has created and the contrast to the hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants and sponsorships it has recived. I am well aware of the very high prices y’all charge and the very little return on investment. I am aware of the size of the Mexico City Web3 dev community. I am aware of the ROI for the Polkadot party in contrast for the money they paid for it. For the fortune that has been been given to ETH Mexico & Espacio Cripto over the past year there should be a much more mature web3 community and support infrastrure with a much large social and financial ROI than there currently is.

There are several other Web3 communites in Mexico & Mexico City that also deserve a shot at creating great things here. It is now their turn. See if they can create better, quantifiable results for the money granted to them. To see if they can build a strong Web3 developer community. So I have chosen to support those communites.

Thank you again for all the mentions and for your contributions as a Web3 event evangelist and content creator. I look forward to seeing you grow in these. Please feel free to reach out to me or any other DAO member to help you in this role.

I wish y’all excellent health and tons of success in your work in creating a strong, diverse, decentralized and equitable Web3 dev and creator community in Mexico. Thank you for all you do! =)

1 Like

Hello good morning, @montero.

About the proposal, there is a misunderstanding, and I think you need to read the proposal again. First of all we are not asking for funding individually, we are asking for the grant as the Ethereum México Team.

We are a 8 member team (at the time) with the mission to educate, prepare and help people understand and build in the Ethereum Protocol and their applications, being The Graph one of them.

These are the proofs of OUR past contributions, as a group.

• Workshop about how to Create Decentralized APIs

Ethereum México Workshop 2: Creación de APIs descentralizadas en Ethereum con Cami - YouTube

53 visualizations and 43 people connected during the livestream.

• Twitter Spaces: Intro a #TheGraph: Data y Blockchain #OnTheGraph were 152 people tuned in.

https://twitter.com/ethereum_mexico/status/1584588156397289473

Also, we think it is important to mention that another advocate, @Silkarg made a post about our TS:

https://twitter.com/silkarg/status/1585092277567107072

Also, just to mention, Ana and Cami met in March in 2022 during EthRio, and they already shared contacts, after 3 months you created a group with them, and for sure it’s great, but this workshop was also by our initiative and also @Oxynamu (another member of our team), met her in May 2022 during Activate Miami and she was the one who reach out to Cami to make this workshop happen.

Before Devcon, @Brichis_, one of our team members, reached out to you looking for help and comments; to which you didn’t reply with constructive feedback. During Devcon the whole team was there, some of them like @Ariiellus said “Hi” in person and there were no comments about this topic.

About the funding amount, there is another misunderstanding. I invite you to read the proposal again.

The 8,000 USD funding will cover 3 months of work covering all the aspects we shared in our proposal; this includes specialized content for developers, organizing 2 IRL events with The Graph as the main Host. I think it is important to say that the 2 IRL events will be workshops and not parties, we have never mentioned a party.

At the end, the funding proposal is for 80,000 GRT (~6,634.26 USD at the moment)

We know we are not the only source of information available nor for the Ethereum Ecosystem nor The Graph’s; it would be conceited to say that we are the only ones. We do think we are a group of very capable individuals, which makes us a powerful group.

For now, the only thing we know is that, one project during EthMexico hackathon (organized by EthGLOBAL), it’s using The Graph technology after our workshop and also, one developer was hired in The Graph, (but this is also thanks to other communities and guidance from other people).

Maybe we could collaborate with The Graph Advocates to keep track of how many projects have been supported after the ETHMexico hackathon.

All this was also clarified in our Meeting we had with The Graph Team and also, it is mentioned in our proposal.

Your apologies are accepted, let’s keep the focus on the proposal to keep building around The Graph.

It’s important to clarify that Espacio Cripto is an independent project, (another topic we found irrelevant in our proposal), and also we find very alarming the libelous comments against another community that have been doing a great job during 3 years in the LATAM ecosystem, were many newbies and builders have been guided and helped.

Some members of Ethereum Mexico are part of the Espacio Cripto Community, but we think this isn’t a liability but an opportunity to have a bigger impact. Just to be clear we haven’t received any kind of funding from Espacio Cripto. In fact, we have received only one grant (from the Ethereum Foundation) which allowed us to organize an IRL event to celebrate The Merge where we provided talks about the Ethereum Ecosystem as well as an opportunity to make some networking, and another grant has been received for an individual.

We have not received any other grant. And it’s very alarming to us, see you saying that we have received "hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants and sponsorships […]”

Please, stay focused on what our actual proposal has to offer.
These kinds of comments and defamation make us think that you have some personal troubles with some of our members and other communities. We deeply hope this is not the case.

Thank you for your comments, maybe some of our plans are similar to the TGA program, but remember that this ecosystem is not permissioned, and we will continue to propose more specialized content in applications such as The Graph for the next thousands of builders in Mexico and Latam and us. We are open to collaborating with TGA, in fact we are already doing so.

Last but not least, we have always shared that our community and our team has the goal of making Mexico and LATAM a HUB for Ethereum builders, coders, devs. We know LATAM has the potential to do so, to be a bigger part of the crypto ecosystem as a whole.

We would love to work alongside The Graph.

1 Like

Good afternoon @CryptoReuMD, @anatech & @Brichis,

Thank you for the taking the time to clarify.
Yes, I have been fully awere that y’all are aplying as a team. I evaluated this proposal and voted based on that fact. Using your status as an advocate to gain an advantange in the process (while not being an active contributor to the program) then asking the DAO consider the team not the one indivual seems quite disengenous.
The reason I mentioned that all the mentions and events listed in the previous responses is that the indivual who listed them is an advocate, therefore those things are part of being in the program. based on repeted experinces with events hosted by members of this team and request for financial support from this team, which where very high for little, quantifiable value. I had thought this was $8000 USD per month. Thank you for that clarification. My vote is still a no. This DAO should not pay that much for a watered down version of one of our core programs which we are already funding.

Bichis only reached out to me before DevCon to ask for my vote because I am an advocate. Not as for help in the subtance or scope of the grant. Only for my vote. When I told here I had already supported another Mexican community she doubled down in asking me to vote for this teams proposal as well. Her concern was my vote for this proposal.

We can split hairs if you want. on who belongs to what group and how much they got. It is a well know fact in the Mexico City comunity how much $$$ has flow into this city, which people and the teams or organizations they created or joined got the lions share of that money and what quatifiable results that has created for the local Web3 community.

Vanity Metrics do not impress me. Those of us who been at this for a few years have seen and heard all these surface level metrics. We need concrete results or at least a strategy for how this team will delvier them. Those of us in the Mexico Web3 community have seen and heard all these vanity metric before, we been to the events, swa the results 1st hand. Wondered why there is no dev or builder community in Mexico City. Given how much money members of this team have charged.

Maybe a grant agreement that pays out based on the results this team is able deliver. At that point we can evaluate the quality and long term benefits to the Mexico Web3 community and to the Graph and pay out based on that performance.

It’s great that the ETH foundation gave y’all money to celebrate the Merge. They are wonderful folks. I never expected Espacio Cripto to give y’all any money. Sorry if it came across this way.

Mexico web3 communites and infrastruce needs to be decentralized, it needs to equatable, it needs to be very inclusive and diverse. The whole community here knows that the leadership of ETH Mexico & Espacio Crypto are many of the same people and have the same finacial interest and cordination. This goes againts the values of decentralization and open access to all. Many of the members in the Mexico City Web3 community have expressed concern about the dynamics of the closely linked groups.

There are Web3 communites in Mexico City that have deep expertise in Rust and solidity dev and in subgraph dev. Who have spent months doing these workshops in various Mexico City universities. They have very concreate results to show for their work. There are also other communites with much better track record of results that are much better aligned with the type infrastrure layer protocol we are.

I am laser focused on supporting these type teams and communities.
The ETH Mexico team is more than welcomed to reapply with a much more focused grant that hasa a unquie value add. One that does not replicated core fuctions of the foundation, the DAO or the Advocates program. This team is invited to apply with a different proposal that has a clear plan of how their efforts and strategy will create the needed results to have a strong dev and builder community in Mexico. Same as other Web3 communites in Mexico, with a solid track record of laying the ground work for this have done. I personally look forward to seeing such proposal an explore way to help with it. In collaboration with other Web3 Community in Mexico city so we can create the decentralized and open infrastrure for Mexico and LATAM to become a global leader in the creation of the 3rd generation of the internet.

Thank you again for the work y’all do and passion y’all have helping create much better opportunites for millions in LATAM! :blush:

Hello again.
It is impressive that every time we open this proposal there is a new comment attacking the community or one of the members by @Montero.
1.- The initial proposal was evaluated by The Graph, but we did not get a response and it was by recommendation of the committee that it was rewritten to be more objective and align it to the direction of The Graph Advocates DAO. We will not stop asking please to know the whole picture and stop “obviating” bad intentions in places where they do not exist, it is a little delusional.
2.- This ceased to be the objective of “Helping” and has become slander, uncontrolled and detour of attention, having immature issues and a little disoriented of what community building is.
I am very sad that the proposal we made was to build and we have only received from you harassing messages that violate the privacy of our members.
We are asking for 8000 USD for 3 months of work of 8 people who are dedicated to make the community grow and you as Advocate are asking for 5000 USD for one month of work for effort and dedication. Your Proposal I think this is where our objectives and incentives do not fit. And as we have seen, you have achieved your goal, to stop the growth of a nascent community.
5.- If you have a personal conflict with many communities in Mexico you are not objective for this proposal and from the perspective of my humble point of view, from your “Superior” position you are defaming entirely the work that is based on trust and evangelization; and again we reiterate that we are not members, nor have any kind of association, as they are different communities, they are not DAOs and you are even founder and owner of the many “Talent Accelerators” that are supporting you.
6.- It is even worrying that you use expressions such as “We can split hairs if you want” in a forum that is aimed at growth and support web3, I apologize if it is a misunderstanding but this sincerely is far from what represents me as an Advocate.
7.- We will continue to work in Mexico with the community that has received us fantastically and with whom we continue to grow. And apply to the Graph Advocates DAO again, since we care about the team and the people that continues helping with the growth of decentralization of data.
8.- We will evaluate to make a new proposal but as I observe the things it is you who will prevent us to continue working because of your personal problems with the communities to which we belong and that is anti web3.

Best

1 Like

Dear @CryptoReuMD, good evening.

Noneone is personally attacking you nor invading your privacy. All info I shared is public knowlege. Would the ETH Mexico team be open to a presention where their web3 peers in Mexico are able to ask honest and direct questions?

It is sad that you feel that for the 1st time someone said the quiet part out loud and challenged the claims this team is making, this means they are making personal attacks. Why has asking for tangible results and pointing out well know links and relationships created this alarmed response?

There are zero “talent accelerators” supporting me. This is very easy to prove. You got this idea from an old proposal I shared with a member of ETH Mexico. Those talent accelerator do not exist. The person who asked for them decided not to move forward. Please use accurate information before making accusations like this.

The proposal you point out is $5,000 for 5 months of work. In a much more in depth and complex long term plan with several stake holders. Please do a bit more investigation before trying to use things like againts someone. This proposal have been detailed in great leght to the DAO. Much more in depth information than what is on the proposal.

Why the rejection of a pay for results sugestion?

1. Happy to hear that this team will continute it’s contributions. I am sure y’all have learned a lot and will us that to improve and better serve the LATAM community. Thank you for that.

2. My offer stands to help with a new proposal that has a unique value add that creates quantifiable results to build a dev and builder community in Mexico. The other Web3 communites in Mexico may be open to collaborate with the ETH Mexico team in helping build out the missing and needed infrastructure. We can all work along side in the service of helping the people of LATAM become global leader in Web3.

I wish the ETH Mexico team excellent health and great success in their evolutions and service to the LATAM community. Thank you again.

Thank you for your response. It is a beauty to have this kind of communication, I wish we had used this same channel months ago to be able to talk and build.
I am encouraged that you are super attentive to everything we write.
Thanks for everything.
Yours.

Hi Eric, What two groups do these 3 profiles have in common?

Are not all 3 of these people admins in the telegram and discords of both of the communites in question here? Have they not been admins for months?

I have to be supper attentive to grant requests, as it is a core part of my job. Especially ones where I have personal experince and insight of the community the applicants are based in and aim to serve.

My channles of communication have always been and will remain open. Happy to chat with you or any one any time. Happy to help. Looking forward to exploring new opportunites for the ETH Mexico, Graph and the wider Web3 community orgs to collaborate on great work to build new opportunites for the people of LATAM.

I am encouraged by the new projects the members of this team have started and how they continue to help promote web3 in Mexico City.

Thank you, have a wonderful week! :blush:

Good afternoon @CryptoReuMD,

I hope you had a good evening, after thinking a good bit through this proposal, the previous work that you and Brichis have done in Merida. the responses on this grant proposal, the nature and value proposal of this grant, the 2 other individuals who form this team applying with y’all. Many of these responses seem very out of character for who I know you to be. Also for who I know Brichis to be. The voice and counsel of other people is clear in these responses. As is information that only those other people have. It seems you are taking some unfortunate advice from others that has led to a result no one here wanted.

I have a suggestion and offer for a potential new grant proposal that I think the DAO could approve and may fund. Possibly provide additional support in addition to money. To set the Merida Web3 community up to succeed.

Please let me know what you think. We can make adjustments so it works best for everyone.
There are some really good Mexico based web3 devs that we can partner you with. One of them you already know, Pedro Cobos, the others I think you know. They can help do Rust, Subgraph, Substreams, Graph QL API workshops online and locally. This will help you grow your community’s dev knowledge and get a couple of local devs created.

You mentioned working with the Lens protocol. in a couple of weeks Lens and Graph are hosting an event in Mexico City for Web3 devs. AeroMexico gave me a buddy ticket prize for domestic flights that I would donate to you and Brichis and we can fly yall to Mexico City to attend. I am sure a few folks here would be happy to host you. Eric, you could stay in my guest bedroom. This new potential grant, if approved, could cover the cost of the 2nd ticket. Or we can find another way to get y’all supported in this. Connect you to the folks from Lens who will be coming.

The LATAM Graph advocates group can help you with co-hosting twitter spaces in Spanish, we already have a lot of content and courses translated into spanish. We could work with you to grow the number of Graph advocates that are in Merida. Better explain all the benefits of the program that I am uncertain if anyone has explained to you Eric.

There will be a Web3 Developer hackthon in Mexico City this December, where several devs and builders (many whom you know) will be involved. We could get y’all involved, maybe fly you in for this instead of the Lens event, or help other members of your community come. There is also another Graph event planned with a few other groups in Mexico City later that y’all could be part of.

We can help you plan the local Graph event in Merida, send other Graph Advocates from LATAM to attend and help. Send you an official Graph Swag. Connect y’all with other spanish speaking members of the DAO and the Core Devs to help build out a dev & builder community. Connect y’all to Graph partners that have expressed interest in LATAM. We can connect you with several other Web3 communities in Mexico who are experts at Web3 education, who have a lot of experience building web3 projects and startups, both from the dev and business side.

All of this would go a long way to set up this Web3 community you and Brichis are building in Merida for success in a much deeper and long term way. It would create a ton more opportunities for people in Merida looking for much better opportunities for their future. Would put Merida on the map as key contributors to helping build the Open Web protocol.
All this with the same amount of funds this team requested of $8,000 USD for 4 months to cover the plan above. Maybe up to $10,000 for four months. With the possibility of more funding from the Graph Foundation for a bigger project and the possibility of other funding from others in the Graph Ecosystem.

Eric, we can also discuss this via video call with our mutal friend @Colson.
There has never been animosity between us. No one was trying to pick a fight with you. Folks here, especially me, as I have demostrated with my earlier finacial support of your 1st Web3 event in Merida. We all want to help set y’all up for long term success. We want to see the people of Merida thrive.

What does the ETH Mexico team think about this potential grant proposal? It would also be good to hear directly for other members of this team what they think. @anatech, would you like to share your perspective? It seems the other 2 team members are not on this forum.

@Lorena , @poptones , @Slimchance , @pdiomede, @jiimxjim.eth, what do y’all think of this potential approach of this potential new grant proposal?

Thank you for all the work you do for the people in Merida and your passion to help folks build a much better future for themselves and for Mexico.

Wishing y’all excellent health and success. :blush:

Cheers
Martin

After reading this proposal, I don’t see that I can support this proposal as is. I think it’s great to have advocates that are providing support for this effort. However, this seems to be blurring the lines of advocate contributions and community grant support.

The advocates supporting this effort will have a seperate process to weigh their efforts and can request reimbursement for pre-approved contributions.

Outside of that, I’d like to review the events that this grant will support on an individual basis. Seeing that there are 2 virtual events in october and november then an irl event in December, i don’t see the necessity of an “all or nothing” type of funding and would prefer these exist as seperate applications to allow more in-depth underatanding of where money is needed and what we can support with our current resources.

Please continue to gather feedback to rework this proposal in the case that an on-chain vote fails. I think with the recommended modifications, we can find an appropriate way to support your efforts.

Thank you

3 Likes

I appreciate your contribution, but I have more concerns about the deliverables and the effectiveness after reading the follow-up comments.
That might lead to people can’t get a long-term engagement, If the contents are too general, like the information for searching easily.
The “No” I voted on-chain is for a further discussion about more profound education and spreading awareness to the target people.

Your point of departure is good for strengthening the community. Maybe new proposals for taking the funding apart can be better for the community to review them.

Also, advocates in the team could support the community and then get reimbursement by CR (Confirmation Request) and PoC (Proof of Contributions) if they exceed the requirement of the advocate program.

We will continuously improve our workflow and due diligence for a better experience of the grant application.

Thank you.

4 Likes

TY all for the answers. Sorry i was out for a little family time, we are going to review everything with the team and make a different proposal of let this ongoing.

3 Likes

Hello everyone! We listened, read and evolve, here is our new proposal for a IRL event, and continue with the Twitter Spaces for the community looking forward to continue with the celebration of the matturiry of the second year of the The Graph Protocol.

Here is the new presentation Grant Proposal: Ethereum-Mexico
And here is the TL;DR.

1 Like