Grant Proposal: Celebrating Three Years of The Graph Decentralized Network in London, UK 🇬🇧

Grant ID: 8686ef8wn

Summary:

1. Event Description
    We propose to organize a grand celebration to commemorate the third anniversary of the official launch of The Graph decentralized network on December 17, 2023 in London, the capital of the United Kingdom. This event will serve as a platform to bring together The Graph community and enthusiasts, fostering a sense of unity and excitement for the future of decentralized data indexing.

2. Event Overview
    Event Date: December 17, 2023
    Event Led: Abel, Core Developer of the Graph Protocol at GraphOps
    Venue: Curve Club (Founder / Investor members club & restaurant - lots of web3 founders & investors): 15 Westland Pl, London N1 7LP
    City: London, UK
    Expected # of attendees: 30~80 people *Maximum number of people to be accommodated is 100.
    Keynote Speech: TBC

3. Event Agenda (3 hours)

Timeline (sample)

6:30 - 7:00 PM: Registration
7:00 - 7:10 PM: Welcome Speech & Toast
7:10 - 8:30 PM: Presentation about The Graph ecosystem and its milestones
(Intro to the Advocates Program, Intro to the roles in the graph ecosystem & an overview of the graph protocol’s new era roadmap)
8:30 - 9:30 PM: Networking & Party
9:30 PM: Closing

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Describe what your project does or is aiming to do in 50 characters or less:
Graph’s 3rd Anniversary Event, London, Dec 17, '23

How far along are you?:
Planning stage of the event

Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you’re making?:
I was chosen by the graph advocatesDAO members to host the London chapter of this event series.

I have exstensive experience hosting events as I am also one of the core organisers of ETHLondon (ETHGloabl’s London event https://ethglobal.com/)

What’s new about what you’re making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn’t exist yet (or they don’t know about it)?:
There is no London chapter of the Graph’s b-day event! This will be the first one to ever exist marking a significant milestone for the Graph community in London :uk:

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
I would like this to be the start of a series of community initiatives for the Graph in London! London is quickly becoming the world’s best web3 hub with a16z’s recent move to London (Expanding to the UK - a16z crypto)

How will you measure success?:
Large turnout and attendees walking away with a good understanding of the graph and the future we’re building towards!

What milestones will you achieve in the coming weeks/months, with or without the grant?:
The event can’t happen without the grant as there are costs to host this event!

The timeline is the following assuming we’ve secured grant funding:

:man_astronaut: November 3rd: Deadline for Event Hosts to join 2023 Event Hosts Telegram channel (for Event Hosts only).

:man_astronaut: November 10th: Deadline for Event Hosts to complete venue selection and reservation.

:man_astronaut: November 11th: Deadline for Event Hosts to have finalized the following items: (i) finalized event program, (ii) swag (have possession of swag items), (iii) food and beverage order to the venue, (iv) all event assets (e.g., POAP, slide deck).

:man_astronaut: November 15th: Event Hosts fills out the Community Grant Application form(ClickUp Forms) to ask for the community grant for this event.

:man_astronaut: + :rocket: November 15th: Event Hosts finalize a list of partners (Indexers, Curators, Delegators, Subgraph Developers, Core Devs, Foundation members, Advocates, networks/chains, dapps) who are or who have team members in the area that can help support/participate in the event.

:man_astronaut: November 15th: Deadline for Event Hosts to complete the Eventbrite page.

:man_astronaut: + :rocket: November 20th: Distribute community invitations (mass email), post Twitter thread, and post Telegram(s)/Discord(s) announcements.

:man_astronaut: November 20th: Event Hosts email Eventbrite attendee list a reminder email.

:man_astronaut: + :rocket: November 20th: (As needed) Event reminder post(s)

:man_astronaut: December 4th: Event Hosts post individual event reminders on Twitter and other social channels (Graph AdvocatesDAO will help promote).

:man_astronaut: + :rocket: December 11th: (As needed) Event reminder post(s)

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Delegators, Indexers, Subgraph Developers, Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
Venue Rental: ÂŁ1,200
Food & Beverage: ÂŁ1,500
Logistics and Event Management: ÂŁ2,400. (This budget allocation encompasses a comprehensive range of necessities, including the creation and setup of stand posters and assorted decorations. It covers all travel and accommodation expenses for the presenters, who will be speaking about the Graph. Additionally, it includes the hiring of CDJs and a DJ for musical entertainment. The budget also accounts for the equipment required for the presentations, including the use of screens. Lastly, it addresses the overall costs associated with the organization and execution of the event.)
Miscellaneous Expenses: ÂŁ500

Total Estimated Cost: ÂŁ5,600

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
I’m a web3 OG!
I’ve been in the space since 2016
I first worked at ConsenSys (working on industry definting products such as MetaMask and Gitcoin)
Built one of the largest interfaces for Liquity protocol
Core organiser of ETHLondon
I’ve been contributing to the graph ecosystem for years as a core developer at GraphOps
I run IOH (Indexer Office Hours) the most important call for indexers in the graph ecosystem
I’m a large delegate to many indexers!

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I’ve already been a contributor for many years! I’m a deep believer in the graph ecosystem and my actions speak louder than words!

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Other

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Full proposal for the Graph AdvocatesDAO in detail:

Celebrating Three Years of The Graph Decentralized Network in London, UK :uk:

1. Event Description

We propose to organize a grand celebration to commemorate the third anniversary of the official launch of The Graph decentralized network on December 17, 2023 in London, the capital of the United Kingdom. This event will serve as a platform to bring together The Graph community and enthusiasts, fostering a sense of unity and excitement for the future of decentralized data indexing.

2. Event Overview

• Event Date: December 17, 2023

• Event Led: Abel, Core Developer of the Graph Protocol at GraphOps

• Venue: Curve Club (Founder / Investor members club & restaurant - lots of web3 founders & investors): 15 Westland Pl, London N1 7LP

• City: London, UK

• Expected # of attendees: 30~80 people *Maximum number of people to be accommodated is 100.

• Keynote Speech: TBC

3. Event Agenda (3 hours)

Timeline

6:30 - 7:00 PM: Registration

7:00 - 7:10 PM: Welcome Speech & Toast

7:10 - 8:30 PM: Presentation about The Graph ecosystem and its milestones
(Intro to the Advocates Program, Intro to the roles in the graph ecosystem & an overview of the graph protocol’s new era roadmap)

8:30 - 9:30 PM: Networking & Party

9:30 PM: Closing

4. Venue

Curve Club, with its unique blend of modern elegance and technological sophistication, stands as the ideal venue for hosting The Graph’s birthday celebration. Nestled in the heart of the city, this venue boasts a cutting-edge architectural design that mirrors The Graph’s innovative spirit in the decentralized network space. Similar to the house of Web3 in SF.

Its spacious, versatile layout is perfectly suited for accommodating a diverse range of activities, from keynote presentations to networking sessions, ensuring that every aspect of The Graph’s anniversary is catered to. The state-of-the-art audiovisual equipment at Curve Club ensures a seamless experience, whether it’s for showcasing The Graph’s milestones or for interactive sessions that engage the community.

Furthermore, the club’s ambient lighting and contemporary decor create an atmosphere that is both professional and inviting, reflecting the dynamic nature of The Graph community. The central location of Curve Club in London makes it easily accessible for attendees, offering convenience and connectivity that is essential for a global community gathering.

Curve Club not only provides a venue but an experience that resonates with the forward-thinking and transformative ethos of The Graph, making it the perfect backdrop for celebrating this significant milestone in The Graph’s journey.

5. Cost Breakdown

• Venue Rental: ÂŁ1,200

• Food & Beverage: ÂŁ1,500

• Logistics and Event Management: ÂŁ2,400. (This budget allocation encompasses a comprehensive range of necessities, including the creation and setup of stand posters and assorted decorations. It covers all travel and accommodation expenses for the presenters, who will be speaking about the Graph. Additionally, it includes the hiring of CDJs and a DJ for musical entertainment. The budget also accounts for the equipment required for the presentations, including the use of screens. Lastly, it addresses the overall costs associated with the organization and execution of the event.)

• Miscellaneous Expenses: ÂŁ500

• Total Estimated Cost: ÂŁ5,600

6. Conclusion

This celebration not only acknowledges the significant milestone achieved by The Graph but also strengthens the bonds within the community. We believe that this event will be a resounding success, demonstrating our commitment to The Graph’s growth and development.

We kindly request support from the Graph AdvocatesDAO to help make this event a reality and ensure a memorable celebration of The Graph’s third anniversary.

Thank you for your consideration.

Abel T,
Core Developer of the Graph Protocol at GraphOps

1 Like

Greetings!

Overall the proposal looks pretty great, but I’d like to clarify a few questions:

• Besides a large turnout, what other metrics or feedback mechanisms will you use to measure the event’s success?
  • Will there be any special commemorative items or swag for attendees to mark the third anniversary of The Graph?
  • Is there a plan to create and distribute content (like articles, videos, etc.) post-event to reach a wider audience and share insights from the celebration?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you @doxe01.eth for taking the time to review my proposal and for your encouraging feedback. It’s genuinely invigorating to see you’re in alignment with my vision for this event. Your questions are spot-on, and I’m ready to dive into them with clear, considered answers. Let’s delve into the specifics and ensure this event not only meets but exceeds our collective expectations:

1. Metrics or Feedback Mechanisms for Measuring Success:
  • Attendee Feedback Surveys: Post-event surveys to gather direct feedback from attendees regarding their experience, what they learned, and any suggestions for improvement.
  • Social Media Engagement: Monitoring the engagement (likes, shares, comments) on social media posts related to the event to gauge the community’s interest and excitement.
  • Participation in Key Segments: Tracking the number of participants in specific segments of the event, such as the keynote speech and the networking session, to understand which aspects were most engaging.
  • Follow-up Engagement: Observing any increase in community engagement or new memberships in The Graph community following the event (New indexers, new delegators, new participants to Indexer Office Hours, new members in our discord community, etc - this will be tracked via a post-event survey)
  1. Commemorative Items or Swag for Attendees:
  • Yes, there are plans to provide special commemorative items to mark the third anniversary of The Graph. These may include* custom-designed t-shirts, stickers, and possibly limited-edition memorabilia that resonate with The Graph’s theme and milestone (Graph-themed cocktails).
  1. Plan for Post-Event Content Distribution:
  • Event Highlights Video: A professionally edited video capturing key moments and insights from the event, to be shared on social media.
  • Blog Posts and Articles: Writing detailed articles about the event’s highlights, key speeches, and community interactions, to be published via newsletters & social media.
  • Social Media Posts: Posts on social media platforms, sharing photos, quotes, and key takeaways from the event.

These plans aim not only to celebrate The Graph’s third anniversary but also to engage and expand the community, while documenting and sharing the event’s success and insights with a wider audience.

(*) Establishing the details now to see what’s feasible for the 17th of Dec as we have to take into consideration turn around times for vendors/providers of these commemorative items (which may include international shipping)

Great proposal! I’m based in London and I’m looking forward to the event!

Are you partnering with any London based communities?

Thank you @gamebventures for taking the time to review my proposal and similarly to above for your encouraging feedback. Even more alignment with my vision for this event is exciting and motivating!

To answer your question: yes, we are! We are in talks to partner with https://ethldn.org/, https://www.encode.club/ and https://twitter.com/OriginLondon to bring even more builders and investors to the event!

Hey Abel !
I have the same recomendation as Doxe ! Metrics about new users.

According to the new graph functionalities add data science researchers from universities to get a new target audience. Today London has a hub and community of important researchers.

For the agenda, I believe in user testimonials ( Developers or indexers ).

Finally, there is a technology community that I follow Www.londontechweek.com
Could you try to invite them or post in their groups…

Kind regards ,

Livia

The future is in the hearts of the students in College. If we are aligned its only one thing that can happen and that is growth. One that Graph can create with this great initiative from Abel in London and I am happy to vouch.

Hello @livichain777,

Thank you for your insightful suggestions regarding our upcoming event to celebrate the third anniversary of The Graph in London.

I completely agree with your recommendation to include metrics about new users. Gathering and showcasing data on our growing user base will not only reflect the network’s expansion but also provide valuable insights for the community. We’ll make sure to incorporate relevant statistics and trends in our presentation.

Your idea of involving data science researchers from universities is excellent. London, as a thriving hub of academic research, offers a great opportunity to engage with this community. Their perspective on decentralized data indexing could be incredibly enriching for our discussions. We will explore avenues to connect with local universities and invite prominent researchers to our event.

User testimonials are indeed powerful, and including stories from developers or indexers who have been part of The Graph’s journey will add a personal touch to the event. This will help in demonstrating real-world applications and successes of our network.

Lastly, regarding your suggestion about LondonTechWeek.com: This is a fantastic idea! Collaborating with such an established technology community could significantly enhance our event’s visibility and reach. I will definitely look into inviting them or engaging with their groups to promote our event.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback. Your suggestions are crucial in shaping an event that truly celebrates The Graph’s impact and potential.

Best regards,

Abel

Dear @JUSTICEESSIELP,

Thank you for your enthusiastic support of our upcoming event celebrating The Graph’s third anniversary in London. Your perspective on the pivotal role of students and the academic community in shaping the future resonates deeply with my vision.

Indeed, the involvement of college students and young minds in this initiative is not just beneficial, but essential. They bring fresh ideas, innovative thinking, and a natural inclination towards new technologies like decentralized networks. By engaging with students, we not only spread awareness about The Graph but also nurture potential future contributors and innovators in the space.

Thank you once again for your valuable insight and encouragement.

Best regards,
Abel

1 Like

Hello @abelsabstracts.eth,
The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on November 21th (Tuesday) at 10:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!
See you soon!

Amazing! Looking forward to it :partying_face:

2 Likes

Congratulations! The majority decision of the Grant Committee has concluded to recommend this proposal to the DAO.

In order to receive official approval from the DAO, a corresponding on-chain vote needs to be conducted on DAOHaus that will determine the DAO decision. A member of the Grant Committee will reach out to you via email with instructions on next steps in order to prepare for the on-chain funding proposal, which requires prior completion of KYC and consent to the Grant Agreement.

Thank you for all your effort to present a strong proposal aiming to grow The Graph and web3 ecosystem!

1 Like

I hereby agree to this grant agreement 2 of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope
    • Arrange the Graph Birthday Party in London on Dec, 17th
  • Deliverables
    • We propose to organize a grand celebration to commemorate the third anniversary of the official launch of The Graph decentralized network on December 17, 2023 in London.
    • While celebrating this important milestone, we also plan to identify potential high quality advocates, create more social engagements for the ecosystem, and do some follow-up engagements.
  • Total Grant Amount
    • USD Value: 6,950.61 USD
    • Token: 52,908 GRT
    • Token Amount: GRT
  • Disbursement Schedule
    • Initial Funding: 100%
  • Receiving ETH Address:
    • 0xe5123Dd50822699638606aC17616f6D6a4dca5fF

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon a successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain.

1 Like

The Graph AdvocatesDAO has approved full funding of this grant proposal! Thanks to all community members that have been engaged throughout this process and providing feedback.

To the grant recipient:

The DAO is looking forward to hearing about your success! Following completion of your grant, please write a confirmation post as a response to this thread. Providing links, docs and images of your completed grant will also help the DAO determine how to best promote the labors of your hard work. Good luck!

For more information on how to withdraw your grant, please review the following documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.

Greetings! @abelsabstracts.eth

Please don’t forget to share your results with the community and DAO. In the future we are planning to create some social posts to highlight your work, so we need information and materials!

Thanks!

Wow! What a massive success :100::partying_face:

The event had a massive turnout! We were 150% over subscribed! :rocket:

We had guests from all around Europe fly in for the event (including some graph advocates and core developers :heart:)

We produced a video, pictures and tweet thread to highlight the success of the event which you can review here (we had massive engagement on the content, over 11,153 views!): https://x.com/AbelsAbstracts/status/1744840577307251129?s=20

Thank you to everyone for making the event a reality, many people asked us when the next event is, we hope to do another one soon! :heart::pray:t5:

1 Like