Grant Proposal: Are You Advocate Ready? (Re-submission)

Hello Liam
Could you explain how this proposal improve The Graph ecosystem?

Hi Lorena,

It will improve the graph ecosystem by having a higher calibre of Graph advocates. New advocates joining and improving the ecosystem and community,

Both of my grant proposals have been fully backed by the community but not by the current advocates for some reason.

I still don’t understand why but I am losing interest at this point which is really sad for me to say.

I feel as though the advocates don’t feel this tool will benefit the community (the ones who all fully support it).

So I don’t really know what more I can do at this point in time. I feel like my efforts are wasted right now.

Kind Regards,

Liam

The majority decision of the Grant Committee concludes to not recommend this proposal for DAO funding. Please recognize that this is not a statement on the proposal itself, but rather an aggregated reflection by committee members taking into account a number of factors, such as alignment to The Graph and web3 ecosystem, budget available to support grants and prioritization relative to other proposed grants. A detailed feedback about the proposal will follow.

Thank you for submitting this proposal, and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger support from the committee.

Sincerely,
Graph AdvocatesDAO

How has the Advocate voting been closed when ONLY 5 Advocates have voted for this?!

It would make sense for all current advocates to vote as that’s in their power. Then close the voting. Not just close it because it’s 60% No and 40% Yes.

Wouldn’t they be a fair challenge?

I would also like an in depth explanation as to why all the community votes from both the grants have not been taken into consideration, nor have the comments within the community regarding the tooling.

If you feel it’s price of the grant that is too high for the hours upon hours of workload carried out. Then please respond with a figure as no contracts have been spoke of yet so there is always time to change the figure to get the tool into the community? Surely that’s the way forward when dealing with grants like this.

The second vote is for grant committee members only, for advocates and other community members we have the community poll.

The grant committee has thoroughly reviewed the recent grant proposal and the ongoing development of the chatbot project, and we appreciate the dedication invested in both endeavours. However, due to the recent rejection of your grant proposal, the committee feels compelled to offer some constructive feedback and suggestions for improvement.

With the rise of AI, the rule-based responses of chatbots like GRTdatahub severely limit flexibility in understanding complex user queries or providing personalized responses. They rely solely on the rules and data provided during their development and have a narrow scope.

The need for rebuilding the chatbot and adding AI-based functionalities has been raised before but unfortunately ignored.

The chatbot’s outdated architecture appears to be overly complex - using the translation of the chatbot as an example, the separate files for each language lead to duplication of effort. Consolidating these files and implementing a more modular approach could simplify maintenance and updates in the future.

Developing and adding another feature to the architecture described above seems to be inefficient. Furthermore, the DAO considers the feedback from the community, and it has not been indicated by community members, either online or offline, that a functionality like the one proposed by you would be needed. Thus, the DAO questions the necessity of developing a separate tool when existing educational platforms could serve the same purpose more efficiently and immediately after such a need arises. Utilizing platforms like Kahoot and Quizlet could streamline the process and potentially save valuable resources. Additionally, the DAO has launched the Mentorship and Membership team, which tackles issues like this by providing personalized 1:1 mentoring not only with DAO members but also with advocates willing to share their experiences and help others start/continue their journey as advocates.

The grant committee is also concerned to learn that you’ve been reaching out to community members asking for support for your grant proposal, which is generally not forbidden, but can make some people feel uncomfortable. We would also like to point out that the proposal as well as the answers to the community should be more concise. You should avoid becoming defensive or confrontational in your responses to unsupportive feedback.

In conclusion, while the community and the grant committee support the goals of both the grant proposal and the chatbot, there is room for improvement in various areas. By addressing these concerns and implementing the suggested enhancements, we are happy to endorse your proposal to the DAO in the future.

I am not going to comment on the chatbot as that is a completely separate grant that has been satisfied with all its deliverables. Your narrative to make it AI just keeps coming back. Sometimes I consider but don’t yet have the skills to apply this. But thankyou, once again for highlighting to the community that it is poorly coded and not built the best. Also, sometimes that has been discussed many times. I had to fight to hard to get each and every one approved. I don’t have the energy anymore.

Once again, why would we utilise and pay for quiz features when we are pushing Open-Source? As I have said numerous times previously, this IS open-source and will be forever. To anyone can use the features and adapt them to their needs. I am now regretting having my repo as open-source as all you have done is belittle me with my coding practices.

I am assuming this 1:1 mentoring scheme will benefit members by counting towards their hours? 1:1 mentoring already goes on within all community by advocates and members. Ones who don’t claim time for this.

“The grant committee is also concerned to learn that you’ve been reaching out to community members asking for support for your grant proposal, which is generally not forbidden, but can make some people feel uncomfortable.”

This need to be reviewed as I have NOT ONCE reached out to community members asking for support. I have always said I want open and honest opinions. I HAVE however, done the following in accordance with the DAO documentation. “The grantee is allowed to promote the proposal in different social media platforms (i.e. Discord) and other Communities, however, of course, it is not allowed to directly influence other person’s opinion or vote.”

So I would like that reviewing immediately and removed from the forum.

However, I do agree that I have become confrontational and defensive due to wanting change and the community to be listened to.

I respect that and I know I have lost this grant.