Grant Proposal: Africa Workshop, Hackathons and Meetups

Grant ID: 8669bmjyz

Summary:

The project is a combination of events offering the perfect community and expansion plan for projects in Africa with our 15 countries network. It consists of a few initiatives that will be instrumental in expanding and they can be tailored to suit your needs. Initiatives that seek to provide established business models with Web3 enhancement such as Blockchain4GoodAfrica Initiative, or one that seeks to enhance adoption from the undergraduate level such as Africa University Hackathon Series and University Blockchain Bootcamps, perhaps one that seeks to onboard corporate use cases in Africa such as Africa Corporate Solution-Focused Workshops. Also, to the basic meetups and general-purpose workshops, we have you covered. The particular proposal includes Meetups, Corporate solution-focused workshops, and developers’ workshops.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

If available, please enter a link to your project below:
https://biotlabs.africa/partnership-offers/

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Long-term (continuous)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Subgraph Developers, Indexers, Delegators, Curators

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
February: Tanzania and Rwanda

1. Hold one basic exclusive meetup with a gathering of 50 and above in Tanzania and Rwanda each; provide a dedicated article and publish it in local media.
  2. Host industry-focused exclusive workshops for trade finance application in Rwanda; provide a dedicated article and publish in online media.
  3. Organize a developers’ workshop exclusive to Graph in Dar es salaam, Kigali; provide a dedicated article and publish it in local media.
  4. Provide a summarized article courtesy of the monthly subscription.

March: Nigeria and Ghana

1. Hold one basic exclusive meetup with a gathering of 50 and above in Nigeria and Ghana; provide a dedicated article and publish it in local media.
  2. Host industry-focused exclusive workshops for Fintech companies and startups in Abuja; provide a dedicated article and publish in online media.
  3. Organize a developers’ workshop exclusive to The Graph in Kumasi and Lagos; provide a dedicated article and publish it in local media.
  4. Provide a summarized article courtesy of the monthly subscription.

Summary of activities:
Organize:

1. 4 corporate-focused meetups/workshops in 2 months
  2. 4 developers focused exclusive gatherings in 2 months.
  3. Establish a presence in 4 countries in 2 months.
  4. 4 exclusive general meetups in the space of two months.
  5. Organically grow the - developer’s community from 0 to 50 in 2 months. - general ecosystem from 0 to 1000 in two months Finally, provide 8 media publications on popular platforms in 2 months.

Funding Request and Budget Breakdown
19,800 USD Details:

1. 2 months mandatory membership/partnership fee; 650 USD x 2
  2. Corporate-focused meetups/workshops; 1650 USD x 2
  3. Developers’ focused exclusive gathering; 1800 USD x 4
  4. Exclusive general meetups; 1500 USD x 4
  5. Community management fee: 1000 USD x 2 (months) These will cover:
    a. Dedicated article (Professional graphics designs and writer)
    b. Meetup organization: Venue, feeding, audio-visuals, etc,
    c. Photo and video archives
    d. Social media mention
    e. Token giveaways and branding (banners etc.) f. Others.

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

If yes, please describe where you’ve received funding from and how much you have, or will, receive:
This is an exclusive proposition

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
It will enable The Graph to scale across Africa, foster adoption of the technology across sectors and possibly provide more price activities for the tokens with increasing community.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
We have organized multiple meetups including bootcamps and hackathons across some African countries since 2019.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
I have been in the blockchain and crypto ecosystem for nearly a decade. Professionally started my career with Poloniex US, then moved to Jelurida Swiss during which I launched Africa Blockchain Developer’s Call Series (www.abdcseries.com) and co-launched Africa Blockchain Institute. I also started Jelurida Africa, and later moved the team to a new company after 4 years called Africa BIoT Labs to focus on IoT and Blockchain Synergies. I also run a little media platform https://decentralize.africa, a hackathon platform in Africa https://hackathon.africa among others. I have also successfully launched a few Web3 based startups. My team and I have been working together for the better half of the journey, developers team, business team, social and content managers.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
The goal is to provide organic adoption for The Graph in Africa through in-person programs such as events, meetups, developers’ workshops, and hackathons. The expectation is simply to foster a stronger community of people and Dapps using The Graph starting with West and East Africa.

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Thank you for your proposal. From the summary of your activities, you mentioned:

“4 corporate-focused meetups/workshops in 2 months”

“Establish a presence in 4 countries in 2 months”

“4 exclusive general meetups in the space of two months”

How would these benefit The Graph and what are your key deliverables?

Regarding the developer-focused exclusive gathering, what part of the tech stack do you intend to cover, and do you have any experience building or running these? Can you share links if any?

1 Like

Thank you for your questions.
We have key presence in over 12 African countries and the plan is to have a continuous presence in these regards for The Graph to foster adoption through meetup, workshop, developer’s advocacy structured to lead to more usage of The Graph in cross-sector solution deployment. This means increased developers and general community across Africa, platform usage among others.

We have organized several developers focused engagements in small scales and larger scale when it comes to bootcamps and hackathons. The largest virtual and the most recent one was the Africa Blockchain Developer’s Call Series reported here: https://www.hackathon.africa/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/ABDC-Post-Event-Report-.pdf followed by several virtual meetups in 5 countries. We have experienced developers capable of seeing small scale meetups and large scale bootcamps through. The meetups will be segmented to be direct and diverse over time to cover the entire tech stack. We will also be designing a curriculum with sourced (available materials) to share with the attendees.

Thank you for your answers.

When I say tech stack, I’m referring specifically to The Graph. E.g Subgraph development, Substreams, Indexing etc.

I see. Although over time, we will be having a complete focus on the entire ecosystem, but to start with, we will be exploring Subgraph development especially focused on Ethereum. There are a lot of solidity developers, but not a lot of Rust focused platform developers at the moment. So we will target the affluent available subject market, then over time consider others starting with Cosmos (custom blockchains) and Near. Indexing will also be treated as running nodes is also quite important. Basically, we we will start from the foundation and scale the contents from there.

Thank you for taking out the time to answer my questions. I would favor a dev focused workshop on either of the topics I mentioned above, but I personally think your proposal has too many moving parts, and will be hard to track or manage effectively at the same time.

Hello,

Can you please provide greater detail into these costs you mentioned? What exactly would this funding be spent on?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

1 Like

Unfortunately, this grant proposal did not generate the level of support in the community to move it to the next phase of the grant application process.

Thank you for submitting this proposal and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger community support.

Best Regards,
Graph AdvocatesDAO