Grant Proposal: The Graph India (Ujjwal)

Grant ID: 85zrvy8j4

Summary:

We are aspire to build a strong regional community in India which will help in growth and success of The Graph protocol . Our proposal outlines a comprehensive approach to engage, educate, and mobilize web3 and The Graph enthusiasts and developers, with a focus on creating opportunities for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and networking.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Long-term (continuous)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Regional Community

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Curators, Delegators, Indexers, Subgraph Developers

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
Require Funds Breakdown

Total days of of work = 60
Daily Working hour = 6
Estimated hourly pay = $10
Total contribution grant = 60610 = $3600

Accessories Cost = $400

T-Shirt = $500 (would be if foundation can ship it to us, in that case we do not need fund for this)

Total Funds Needed = $4500

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
We want to create a vibrant and inclusive community of individuals and organizations dedicated to advancing the understanding and use of The Graph protocol in India, through education, collaboration, and innovation, to drive decentralized web adoption.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
We have already made some significant progress towards achieving our goal. Specifically, we already have a active Telegram group, a Twitter account, and are working on building a safe Discord server.

Our Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/TheGraphIndia
Our Telegram Group: Telegram: Contact @TheGraph_India
Our Discord(building): Discord

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
I am school teacher and started learning coding from May 2021 and after that I have join several web3 communities like LearnWeb3 DAO, Developer DAO. But got know to about The Graph protocol through Cami in 30daysofweb3 course which is run by bunch of amazing women in web3 after that I fell in love with The Graph as a technology then applied of Advocates role , after getting accepted as a Advocate I got an opporunity to work with core dev. team at The Graph Booth during ETHIndia.

From technical point of view I have knowledge of Solidty, Javascript or TypeScript(not advance) and Rust.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I believe that The Graph is one of most important tech stack in web3 and the prduct is building whether it is Substream or Geo, all of these things are amazing. Second thing is that I have work with may tech stack in web but never felt so much close to any tech other than The Graph , this may be because I understand it better but the other thing is people here are so amazing and helpful. We want help The Graph to become a default tool for indexing and querying in blockchain.

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Hi. Thank you for your proposal and for taking the time to apply for the grant.

In the process of reading the information you provided, I have a mostly positive opinion.

What I would like to clarify, whether you will somehow additionally ask for funding for any activities, then like a meetups, hackathons and so on?

And why do you need a discord server? So, from what I see most of the questions resolved through the DAO server + it is possible to create a separate Indian channel.

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Hey, Thanks for supporting this proposal

Going back to your first question, We are not planning to host any offline events such as meetups, workshops, and hackathons in Q2. Initially, I wanted to organize IRL events, especially subgraph development workshops but Pranav(from Edge & Node) has suggested I should only focus on community growth through online events because offline events are too costly and do not add much value. However, I also feel that most offline fail to provide any value to the ecosystem. So there will be no additional ask for funding for activities like meetups, hackathons, and so on.

I want to build a separate discord server for the Indian community because of the following reasons?

1. Telegram is not suitable for running the things like boot camps, even though we can use Zoom
    but we want to make it more engaging by organizing side events like inviting The Graoh OGs and
    Web3 OGs to share their experience and learning with the community member.

2. India is a huge country so having a separate discord server is going to help a lot.

1 Like

Hello! Thanks for your application.
I have some questions about the detail:
Besides managing each community media, what other plans do you have for expanding awareness of the Graph?
What are the accessories for? (I imagine they are bottles, stickers, socks, etc.)
Where would you distribute/use the T-shirts and others swag?

Thank you, and look forward to your reply!

1 Like

Thank you so much for submitting your proposal. I was impressed by the level of detail and effort that went into your roadmap for The Graph India, and it’s clear that a lot of work went into it.

While I think the roadmap has a lot of merit, I would suggest reconsidering the idea of a private discord channel separate from the AdvocatesDAO’s Discord. It may be better to use the same server to ensure consistency and alignment with the larger community.

I would also suggest breaking down your roadmap into smaller, more manageable pieces to help ensure its successful execution.

However, in this proposal, your proposed deliverables, such as “I am going to spend at least 5-6 hours daily to do community work which is going to create tweets, blog, creating resources to run bootcamp, to run bootcamp and other side events and workshop”, it can be submitted as Proof of Contributions (POCs) and evaluated on a case-by-case basis for appropriate rewards based on the quality of each contribution.

3 Likes

Thanks for reading the proposal,

Despite being such a huge presence of Web3 developers we get very few partcipant from India in The Graph ecosystem, especially as an indexer, curators, and delegators. So Besides managing the community media, we are planning to run boot camps on subgraph development, working with substream, and workshops on How to participate in the network or ecosystem as a curator or delegator? , How to Become an Indexer?.

Regarding accessories and T-shirt questions as I mentioned in the proposal we want to make sure that our boot camps should provide a good learning experience. To make our boot camps more exciting we will organize a quiz every week on the weekend and will reward the winner with swag(T-shirt), similarly, we will have a monthly winner from all quizzes, the person who will top the leaderboard will receive a special swag box. We will also reward our boot camp participants for their project or subgraph they build on basis of their project.

Hope this answers all of these questions, happy to take more if you have

Thanks once again.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Chidubem for your kind words and feedback

The reason I want to separate Discord for India is that India itself big country and has a large developer presence, a separate Discord server can help with better coordination and management of events, workshops, and activities. It allows for the creation of specific channels to discuss planning, which can help ensure that events run smoothly and effectively.

1 Like

Great work Ujjwwal, I’m very happy to see how you structured so well this grant proposal, and getting rid of offline events is a smart move as they are extremely time consuming. This is something you can add later, but in the meantime, focusing on building a strong online community, is a foundational step in your journey to become a senior member for the Indian community. I voted Yes for your grant.

5 Likes

Hi Ujjwal, thanks for the community grant proposal! It’s great to see efforts to expand the graph ecosystem in India. I have a few friendly suggestions:

1. Consider using the AdvocatesDAO Discord for the bootcamp, allowing other advocates to join. We can create channels for different languages, and sharing content could benefit other language communities too!
  2. Your KPIs for follower count and new advocates are ambitious. Could you share your onboarding strategy?
  3. To better understand your 8-week bootcamp, please provide details like schedules, slidedecks, and session goals.
  4. It’d be great to see a plan for involving other Indian graph advocates.

Looking forward to your response! Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, Colson for spending your valuable time and effort reviewing our proposal. All of your suggestions and insights are great.

Coming back to your first suggestion, this suggestion seems like a good idea as it would allow other advocates to join, increase the visibility of the boot camp, and potentially benefit other language communities. I have put in a lot of thought about using the AdvoacteDAO discord for the Bootcamp but I am not so confident with it because of the following reasons :

1. Given the diversity of languages and cultures in India, having a separate Discord would allow for the creation of channels in different languages, making it more accessible and inclusive for members who may not be fluent in English or Hindi.
  2. I do not know how much freedom I will have in GraphAdvocates Discord in organizing events. Along with Bootcamp, we will also organize workshops, and open interviews with web3.0 developers, quizzes, and discussions.

Yes, KPI for follower count is highly ambitious but a famous quote by Michelangelo says, “The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short, but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark” so I want to have a high aim and second thing is that I know it is achievable.

I am drafting the Bootcamp schedules and slide decks, and the session will post them in the forum once it is ready.

I am constantly in touch with many advocates from India, they are definitely part of our plan has expressed their support.

Thanks for providing those answers. I have a few more questions to ask:

1. What are some ways members who aren’t fluent in English or Hindi can still meaningfully contribute to the ecosystem?

2. When setting up classes for a diverse, multilingual crowd, how would you approach it to ensure everyone benefits?

3. Have any other Graph Advocates from India shared their support for this idea on the forum? If not, it would be great to encourage them to do so!

Looking forward to those slide decks as well! Thanks again! I am sure AdvocatesDAO is open to hosting events on the server, it will also drive greater participation by our current advocates! We would have to discuss this internally.

3 Likes

Greetings!

The presentation of the project will be in the public-voice-chat channel on the Graph AdvocatesDAO Discord server on May 9 at 18:00 UTC. Entrance is open and everyone is welcome to come in and ask their questions during the presentation!

Thank everyone for your attention!

Let me try

1. Diversity is one of India’s biggest strength and we really respect it, having people from different parts, backgrounds, and languages is very good for any community.

Here are several ways to contribute to the ecosystem without relying on language skills. For example, you could create artwork or graphics. They can help to organize workshops or community meetups in their native place.

1. To ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity to grow within the community while serving the community, we will try our best to bring advocates from all backgrounds, will provide mentorship, and offer them opportunities to contribute.

2. I have the support of quite a few advocates, they also voted here.

1 Like

Congratulations! The majority decision of the Grant Committee has concluded to recommend this proposal to the DAO.

In order to receive official approval from the DAO, a corresponding on-chain vote needs to be conducted on DAOHaus that will determine the DAO decision. A member of the Grant Committee will reach out to you via email with instructions on next steps in order to prepare for the on-chain funding proposal, which requires prior completion of KYC and consent to the Grant Agreement.

Thank you for all your effort to present a strong proposal aiming to grow The Graph and web3 ecosystem!

3 Likes

Thank you, Graph Community, for the opportunity to work with you and bring more Web3 degens to the Graph Protocol. Together, we’re shaping a decentralized future. Grateful for your support!

I hereby agree to this grant agreement of the Graph AdvocatesDAO with the GitHub commit-hash 3858eb9315ef3a0a93d0701961ffbc2a57d45205. That document forms the legal agreement of the proposed grant with the following terms:

• Scope
    • Build a strong regional community in India which will help in growth and success of The Graph protocol. The proposal outlines a comprehensive approach to engage, educate, and mobilize web3 and The Graph enthusiasts and developers, with a focus on creating opportunities for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and networking.
  • Deliverables
    • Grow the Graph India Twitter (https://twitter.com/TheGraphIndia) to over 1000 followers by the end of Q3 2023.
    • Grow and maintain an active community in the Graph India Telegram group (Telegram: Contact @TheGraph_India).
    • Increase the Graph Advocates India Telegram group to more than 30 members by the end of Q3 2023. Note: these members must pass the advocate application process.
    • Boost activity in the Hindi Language Support channel on the AdvocatesDAO Discord server during Q3 2023.
    • Organize an 8-week subgraph development bootcamp in Q3 2023. For each week, The Graph India team will provide a post-event report, which will include an overview of the event, photographic or videographic evidence, the number of attendees, topics discussed, feedback received, and any potential leads or opportunities identified for The Graph.
    • Write an 8-part blog series about Subgraph Development."
  • Total Grant Amount
    • USD Value: 4500 USD
    • Token: GRT
    • Token Amount: 35883.05 GRT
  • Disbursement Schedule:
    • Initial Funding: 40%
    • Upon Completion: 60%
  • Term Length:
    • Start Date: June 1st 2023
    • End Date: August 31st 2023
  • Receiving ETH Address: 0x98E85730dCa784505483FbB30340272E63DD60ed

I understand that the agreement will only be executed upon a successful completion of a corresponding on-chain vote by the Graph AdvocatesDAO. I also understand that the grant will be disbursed on Gnosis Chain.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! I am very grateful to all who trusted and supported me. I already started to work toward the result and KPI which I promised in my grant application. I will keep updating the community with regular posts. Here I want to share some of the work and achievements which we got till now!

1. I already wrote and published three articles in “The Subgraph Engineering Masterclass”. You can read it here. I would love to have feedback from all of you.
  2. Our Twitter follower counts just crossed 220+.
  3. I am working on the boot camps we are planning to start in the end of July or the start of August.

W are also doing some extra things like we started a The Graph India page on Linkedin and also launch our newsletter

The Graph AdvocatesDAO has approved initial funding of this grant proposal! Thanks to all community members that have been engaged throughout this process and providing feedback.

To the grant recipient:

The DAO is looking forward to hearing about your success! Following completion of your grant, please write a confirmation post as a response to this thread. The more details you provide, the easier it will be for the DAO to initiate the final funding amount in a future on-chain proposal. Providing links, docs and images of your completed grant will also help the DAO determine how to best promote the labors of your hard work. Good luck!

For more information on how to withdraw your grant, please review the following documentation here.

Please note, that the total amount of the grant shall be set forth in the Grant and is stated in U.S. Dollars and are payable in GRT. The USD-GRT conversion rate (the “Conversion Rate”) provided to Grant Recipient will be the monthly Conversion Rate determined by the AdvocatesDAO.

For further information, please refer to the Grant Agreement, here.

1 Like

Respected DAO members,

I am writing this post with a request to extend my grant period until the end of October. I
have been honored to receive a grant from the DAO to contribute to the community, and I
am committed to fulfilling my responsibilities as part of this program.
I would like to explain the circumstances that have led me to seek an extension. In the
month of June, my uncle unfortunately met with a serious accident that resulted in significant
injuries, including a fractured thigh bone. He has been advised not to put weight on his leg
until August 18th, and as a result, I have been actively assisting him during his recovery
period. I had to travel to my native village to provide the necessary support and care during
this difficult time. The challenge I was facing was that my village lacked stable electricity and
reliable internet access. This has made it extremely challenging for me to start and continue
the bootcamp that was one of the main objectives of my grant. As much as I wanted to
contribute and engage with the community, the circumstances prevented me from doing so
effectively while being in my village.

During this period, I was solely dependent on the grant amount for my sustenance. However,
due to the extended absence and the resulting financial strain, I was also forced to search
for a full-time job. I am pleased to share that I have secured a position as a Technical Writer
at Pinax Network, which is a core contributor to The Graph. This opportunity not only
provides financial stability but also allows me to learn more in-depth about subgraphs and
substreams, a knowledge that I believe will immensely benefit my ability to teach during the
upcoming bootcamp.
Now that I am back in the city and have the necessary resources to continue my work, I am
eager to make up for the time that was lost due to these unforeseen circumstances. I am
fully committed to completing the tasks outlined in my grant proposal and making a positive
impact within the Graph Advocates community.

Considering the circumstances I’ve outlined above, I kindly request the Graph Advocates
DAO to extend my grant period by two more months, allowing me the opportunity to fulfill my
commitments and contribute effectively to the community. I believe that with this extension, I
can ensure that the quality of my contributions remains high and aligns with the goals of the
DAO.

I understand the importance of adhering to the initial timelines, but I hope you can empathize
with the situation I’ve faced and the constraints that were beyond my control. I am dedicated
to utilizing the extended time to its fullest and delivering on the objectives set forth in my
grant proposal.

Thank you for your understanding and consideration. I truly value the opportunity to
contribute to the Graph Advocates community.

5 Likes

Greetings!

Yes, alas such unexpected things happen, alas they are hard to predict and sometimes almost impossible. I and other members of The Graph AdvocatesDAO are sorry for what happened, we hope everything will be alright.

Also, congratulations on your new position, I hope you will have the same high and productive level of work. About the grant, I have taken everything you said into consideration and I also hope you do well. I appreciate you telling us about it.

Thank you!

5 Likes