Grant Proposal: The Graph ecosystem Website (Oct 22)

Grant ID: 2y8w77d

Summary:

I am a big fan of crypto and The Graph. Would like to contribute to The Graph by developing a website that contains lists of The Graph Ecosystem projects.
Currently, there is no such website or web page by The Graph where the community, projects, investors, & others can find a list of The Graph ecosystem projects in one place. I have a proposal for building something like this https://www.chainlinkecosystem.com for The Graph.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Individual

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Long-term (continuous)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other, Subgraph Developers, Indexers, Delegators, Curators

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Provide a breakdown of your requested funding:
It will cost somewhere around $3720/per year or one time.- Domain and hosting: 170 USD per year- Web Development: 700 to 1000 USD one time- Website management: 150 USD per month (1800 per year)- Research of ecosystem projects: $700 one time- Logo & banner: $50 one time
Thanks

Have you applied for (or already received) funding from somewhere else?:
No

What’s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
It will allow
Users: To explore The Graph projects
Investors: To choose best The Graph supported projects to invest in
Projects: To find other projects to get partnered

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
NA

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
I am following The Graph since it is listed on CMC and it is interesting to see how fast it is growing.

Primary Community Poll

Do you fundamentally support this grant application, knowing that the final scope and grant amount may differ from the requested proposal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Greetings! Thank you very much for your submission! I would like to get an answer to a few of my questions:

1. Can you tell me more about your experience?

2. Regarding the creation of the site, banners and so on, will you do it all alone or do you have a team?

3. How long will you be creating the site? And do you plan to create from scratch, or maybe using a template?

Hello Doxe,

1. I joined the crypto space in mid-2019 and following The Graph since 2021. I am working as social media manager for different FB pages and regarding my experience related to this proposal, I have maintained more than 10 websites in the last 1+ year currently working on two websites (WordPress).

2. Most of the parts like setting up a website, adding details, and creating pages will be done by me. Banners & logos will be done by the freelancer.

3. WordPress is the easiest way to maintain such a website hence it will be good to have a website on WordPress. We will use the already available theme but customize it.

Thanks

I have voted no for this as a community member. Being someone who makes their own app I believe the amount for the grant is far too high for it being made on WordPress. All designs are made for you and you are simply typing in the data and selecting from a menu. You won’t be able to create a website like the one stated in the proposal on WordPress.

For my app, the web domain and hosting comes to about £30 per year, because WordPress isn’t managing it. I personally don’t believe that you can be paid for Web Development when working with wordPress unless you really go for it on the CSS. In terms of research for the ecosystem, we have advocates who can tell you all this info for free.

Sorry to sound blunt but this grant is the equivalent of someone asking $3500 per year to create a poster on Canva.

Please do correct me if I am wrong, I don’t want to cause offence here. If you are indeed doing the HTML, CSS, JS etc and just using WordPress as the hosting then maybe this could be worth it. Even then you would want to use something like React.js for this app.

Unfortunately, this grant proposal did not generate the level of support in the community to move it to the next phase of the grant application process.

Thank you for submitting this proposal and you are encouraged to stay engaged in the Graph community. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger community support.

Hello GRTDataHub, thanks for your vote & queries. And I appreciate the way you contribute to The Graph.

Let me jump on your queries now.

I am managing WordPress websites for the last 1+ years and I never saw a Wordpress site getting built for $500 or less. Definitely, there are ways to create free WordPress (there are few free domains & hosting providers) as well but then where is professionalism & standard?

As this is the website where users can find The Graph ecosystem list this website will get lots of visitors per month so kindly check the pricing of hosting accordingly. Siteground’s hosting plan starts at $4.00 per month and is around $10 per month with the best plan. (I was considering Bluehost & siteground for hosting).

Purchasing/using a theme/script doesn’t mean I am going to get the theme/script from somewhere and paste it as it is.

Do you really think any advocate will always provide that data? Some of them may share small details but no one is that free to provide details like project name, description, smart contract addresses, team details, links, important announcements, fundraising details, offices, logos & banners, launch date, and much more.

I would suggest you check the salary of Website Managers & what Website managers do apart from adding content.

As mentioned in OP,

$3720/per year or one time

This means if DAO members allow us to advertise on the website then it will be a one-time cost.

Also, I am sorry for being late. @GRTDataHub and @doxe01.eth If my explanation seems OK to you then should I post the same proposal again? or what I should do?

At this point, alas, your proposal has not found the proper level of support from the community and has not moved on to the next stage. You are also welcome to submit new grant applications in the future with proposals that may generate stronger community support.

Of the above, I would recommend that you apply for another type of grant, specifically to the Graph Foundation. Here’s a link. The Graph: Grants Application.

Many thanks for your time and good luck!