Grant Proposal: SF Crypto Summer Bootcamp

Grant ID: 37wh944

Summary:

Crypto Summer Bootcamp is a 4-week program, aimed to help female software engineers entering the crypto space, through hand-on exercise and projects. After this boot camp, everyone should already launch their first smart contract successfully.

I have read and agree to the privacy policy:
true

If available, please enter a link to your project below:

Are you applying as a team or individual?:
Team

What type of grant are you pursuing?:
Project (one-off)

Please select the category your project best fits into:
Education

Please select who you think will benefit from your project?:
Other

How much funding are you looking for? (USD):

Have you received funding from somewhere else?:
No

Whatā€™s your vision for how your project will impact The Graph and/or web3?:
Raise strong brand awareness of The Graph foundation. Educate the community of software engineers to better work in WEB3 space.

What can you share about any past work that is relevant to this grant?:
Women in Crypto, aim to help 1 million women to work in crypto via education and recruiting service. So far we have hosted web3 happy hours and would like to kick start our first crypto boot camp with The Graph.

Can you share any information about current/past web3 experience?:
My team Polygraph won the runner-up for the most recent GraphHack in June 2022.

Why are you interested in contributing to The Graph and/or web3?:
We enjoyed our time at Graph Hack and would like to introduce more people to The Graph and encourage more people to have hands-on experience building in WEB3.

Community Poll

Do you support this grant application?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Grant Committee Vote

Do you recommend this grant to the DAO?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hello!

I have a few questions regarding this grant application:

1. Is this bootcamp online or in person?

2. Am I understanding correctly the total amount of lecture time is 4 hours?

3. The total budget and the grant amount are not the same, why is there a difference?

4. There are 7 topics in the lecture design, will multiple be bundled in one lecture?

5. Is The Graph integrated in the lecture design? If so, how?

6. Could you break down the costs of the instructor fees and the networking event(s).

7. What is the NextHuddle launch fee?

8. Could you give examples of hand-on exercise participants of the bootcamp would be doing?

9. Will the lectures/slide decks/PowerPoints be open source?

10. Is this bootcamp exclusive to female software engineers?

Iā€™m looking forward to your reply!

1. Is this bootcamp online or in person? Online classes with 2 in person happy hour event.
  2. Am I understanding correctly the total amount of lecture time is 4 hours? Yes.
  3. The total budget and the grant amount are not the same, why is there a difference? Apologize, total budget should be 25k.
  4. There are 7 topics in the lecture design, will multiple be bundled in one lecture? 1st one is crypto 101, 2nd to 4th will be focusing on technical aspect. Depends on how well the students understand each topics, we may reduce or add topics.
  5. Is The Graph integrated in the lecture design? If so, how? We will promote The Gragh foundation, but may not have time to cover the integration. However, we can add a session for it, if needed.
  6. Could you break down the costs of the instructor fees and the networking event(s). See detail in the budget section in the google doc attached.
  7. What is the NextHuddle launch fee? We launch our online bootcamp using NextHuddle. As a service, they charge us service fee. https://www.nexthuddle.com/
  8. Could you give examples of hand-on exercise participants of the bootcamp would be doing? The goal is for each student to successfully launch smart contract by end of the class. For details, Bhabani will be able to provide next week, when heā€™s back from travelling.
  9. Will the lectures/slide decks/PowerPoints be open source? Yes, we will share the slides the lecture after the bootcamp.
  10. Is this bootcamp exclusive to female software engineers? Yes, thatā€™s the intention, however, depends on the signups, we may open it up to all software engineers.

Thank you for your time! Let me know if you need anything else.

Hello :wave:,
Thanks for answering the above questions. If the total lecture is 4 hours, then I think It will not be sufficient. Also, I have some questions in addition to this:

1. can you please tell us about the number of audiences that you are expecting?
  2. Is this program more focusable to build & deploy smart contracts or shipping a complete Dapp because I can see ā€œa basic crowdfunding appā€ mentioned in the lecture design.
  3. Can you please elaborate on how are you planning to promote the Graph foundation without covering the integration?
1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I would like to ask you a few additional questions!

1. Is this bootcamp online or in person? Online classes with 2 in person happy hour event.

Am I understanding correctly both ā€œhappy hour eventsā€ have a budget of $3000 ($30*100)

1. Could you break down the costs of the instructor fees and the networking event(s). See detail in the budget section in the google doc attached.

I would still like to see a detailed explanation of the instructor fees and networking event(s).

• Why are the instructor costs $4000? Could you break that down into: hourly rate $X, curriculum design $Y, etc.

• What are the $30/ppl cost for the networking event?

1. What is the NextHuddle launch fee? We launch our online bootcamp using NextHuddle. As a service, they charge us service fee. https://www.nexthuddle.com/
  • Is it correct Bhabani, who is also one of the instructors, is the founder of NextHuddle? Could you provide a link to a page that shows the $500 service fee?

Looking forward to the answers!

3 Likes
  1. Yes. 2 happy hours.
  2. Circle back with example of course structure and outline: Crypto Bootcamp Outline - Google Docs
  3. As for budget, we use hourly rate of $1000/hr for each instructor.
  4. As for $30/ppl happy hour, we provide 2 drinks and free appetizer for selected students.
  5. As for the service fee, they normally charge 25% of ticket sale, as itā€™s a sponsored event, they give us a one time rate of $500.
    Thanks!

Iā€™m voting NO, mainly because of the general design addressed to specific group and label ā€˜for womenā€™. We are the welcoming and inclusive Community that is why this kinds of labels, regardless of the chosen audience, whether it is only for women, men, or LGBTQ people, do not come along with our values.

Iā€™m also not accepting as a solution to invite male/other participants if there will be place left. In my opinion the project needs re-designing.

2 Likes

It seems that this event has already taken place and has not gained enough support from the community to move forward.

1 Like